• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Grade Your Team's 2019 NFL Draft? (four years later)

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just in case you forgot, click here. I want to know how your team drafted four years ago.

Buffalo Bills
1st round - Ed Oliver, Houston, DT - Hit. Excellent choice.
2nd round - Cody Ford, Oklahoma, OT - Hit. The Bills moved him to guard and he's a valuable piece.
3rd round - Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic, RB - Hit. Although, he signed with the Tezans this offseason.
3rd round - Dawson Knox, Ole Miss, TE - Hit. Big-time weapon for Josh Allen.
5th round - Vosean Joseph, Florida, LB - Miss.
6th round - Jaquan Johnson, Miami, CB - Miss.
7th round - Daryl Johnson, NC A&T, DE & Tommy Sweeney, Boston College, TE - Misses.

Excellent draft for the Bills. Going to give it a B+. No Day 3 gems, but really strong Day 1 and Day 2 picks. 4/7 were hits.

Here are some late round winners from other teams: Raiders (Hunter Renfrow), Cowboys (Tony Pollard), and Raiders (Maxx Crosby)

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2019 - 49ers Draft

Rd 1. Nick Bosa, DE - Ohio State. Big Hit.
Rd 2. Deebo Samuel, WR - South Carolina. Big Hit.
Rd 3. Jalen Hurd, WR - Baylor. Big Miss. Couldn't stay healthy. Didn't play a down.
Rd 4. Mitch Wishnowsky, P - Utah. Hit. Early pick for a punter, but he's still on the team and doing well.
Rd 5. Dre Greenlaw, LB - Arkansas. Big Hit. Very underrated. Should've made the Pro Bowl this season.
Rd 6. Kaden Smith, TE - Stanford. Miss.
Rd 6. Justin Skule, T - Vanderbilt. Miss, but he's a bottom of the roster player in Tampa.
Rd 6. Tim Harris, DB - Virginia. Miss. I think he's in the XFL now.

Overall, this was a very good draft for the Niners. I'd give it an A.

DonMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have to disagree with some of those Bills ratings.

Cody Ford was drafted to be a reliable, if not dominant RT. He was inadequate at RT, so during the offseason got moved to G. After his rookie season, he never started more than 7 games in a season, and was never more than a marginally adequate performer. For somebody drafted #38 overall, I'll have to rate him a flop.

OTOH, Jaquan Johnson was drafted in the 6th round, with relatively low expectations. During 3 seasons, he played in almost every game, contributing mostly on ST. He also filled in at S for a few games when starters were hurt. So I wouldn't rate him a "miss".

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not revisiting Bob Quinn/Patricia. Screw you for even bringing it up......we did get Fulgham, I have it on good authority from a super reliable source that he will be one of the best WR in the league.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
General gist I get with Bills fans is that they are actually disappointed with Ed Oliver.

Frank Clark trade: A-. Traded the pick that was LJ Collier who ended up being a bust. Frank Clark was overpaid but productive in the playoffs.
Mecole Hardman C+. Panic pick because the team was unsure of Tyreek Hill's status. A fringe starter.
Juan Thornhill B. Starter last year during the Super Bowl win. Average starter.
Khalen Saunders B+. Good value pick. I suspect he'll have a decent career.
Rashad Fenton B-. Decent slot corner. A bit grabby. Not bad for a late round pick.
Darwin Thompson D. Meh running back prospect never panned out.
Nick Allegretti A. Late round value pick for OL.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd have to disagree with some of those Bills ratings.

Cody Ford was drafted to be a reliable, if not dominant RT. He was inadequate at RT, so during the offseason got moved to G. After his rookie season, he never started more than 7 games in a season, and was never more than a marginally adequate performer. For somebody drafted #38 overall, I'll have to rate him a flop.

OTOH, Jaquan Johnson was drafted in the 6th round, with relatively low expectations. During 3 seasons, he played in almost every game, contributing mostly on ST. He also filled in at S for a few games when starters were hurt. So I wouldn't rate him a "miss".

Plus, they dumped Cody already (he's a Bengal). Whether or not that comes back to haunt them a la Wyatt Teller remains to be seen.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
General gist I get with Bills fans is that they are actually disappointed with Ed Oliver.

Oliver hasn't quite hit his stride just yet, kinda like Edmunds going into his 5th year least season. We know how that ended up, expect Oliver to move on this winter as well, bust or break out.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ed is a good, not great player. I think would classify it as a "hit", but not a "big hit". People are probably disappointed because he isn't a HOF and probably worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick, if a team wanted to trade for him.

Which team do you think had the best draft that season? I have to go with the 49ers.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus, they dumped Cody already (he's a Bengal). Whether or not that comes back to haunt them a la Wyatt Teller remains to be seen.
He did sign with the Bengals. My draft grade is now B- for the Bills.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams 2019 draft

• Round 2, No. 61 overall: Taylor Rapp, DB, Washington. ...
  • Round 3, No. 70: Darrell Henderson, RB, Memphis. ...
  • Round 3, No. 79: David Long, CB, Michigan. ...
  • Round 4, No. 134 overall: Greg Gaines, DL, Washington. ...
  • Round 7, No. 243 overall: Nick Scott, S, Penn State. ...
  • Round 7, No. 251 overall: Dakota Allen, LB, Texas Tech.
Rapp, Henderson, Gaines and Scott all had their moments, but have all moved on this offseason. Rapp is now the 3rd safety (big nickel?) for the Bills, Gaines got paid with the Bucs. Long signed with the Raiders, Scott with the Bengals. Allen didn't make the team in 2019 and signed with the Jags (now Browns).

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably a D considering the Frank Clark trade. Maybe a C- if close your eyes and take Clark's playoff production at face value.

Thornhill was a useful cover safety, but he really never morphed into a star like some thought he could be. Hardman was decidedly mid as a WR. Fenton had value as a low end starter and as a 6th rounder that's nice. Khalen Saunders took too long to develop to really claim too much credit.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ed is a good, not great player. I think would classify it as a "hit", but not a "big hit". People are probably disappointed because he isn't a HOF and probably worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick, if a team wanted to trade for him.

Which team do you think had the best draft that season? I have to go with the 49ers.
Ed was suppose to be the next Aaron Donald, now this Kancey kid is suppose to be.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The infamous JJAW over DK Metcalf pick. Yuck. Very poor draft for the Eagles. I’d give them a D instead of F because they got decent run out of Miles Sanders.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd probably say best is the Titans given where they drafted (AJ Brown, Jeffrey Simmons, Nate Davis, Amani Hooker) but if not factoring in where they drafted then the Niners getting Bosa and Deebo definitely wins. Bosa in general is probably the best player in the whole draft and at the time he was seen as a top 3 lock.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bears didn't even have a first pick until the 3rd round, which was David Montgomery. We only had five picks total, none of whom remain on the roster. So I'd say it's quite fair to give a '23 grade an F on our '19 draft. And small wonder we ended this past season with the worst record.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible.

Traded a 2nd and 2020 3rd to move up for Devin Bush made this draft a tire fire.

Diontae Johnson was a great 3rd round pick. Only redeeming part of this draft.
Zach Gentry was good for a 5th rounder too.

Justin Layne, Benny Snell, Sutton Smith, Isaiah Buggs, Ulysses Gilbert and Derwin Gray. All forgettable if they even made the tram.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drafts are weird for this team. Definitely got some value, but Pats are in rebuilding mode, on the fly, once again. I loved the fact that they actually used all their picks, a bunch, instead of horsing around.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 (#61) Taylor Rapp S B-
3 (#70) Darrell Henderson RB C-
3 (#79) David Long CB D+
3 (#97) Bobby Evans T D
4 (#134) Greg Gaines DT B
5 (#169) David Edwards T A
7 (#243) Nick Scott S B
7 (#251) Dakota Allen LB D

Rapp was a hybrid LB/S type that played S at bottom-end starter/back-up level. No-one who was a Rams fan was a fan of Rapp but he filled a hole adequately for 3287 defensive snaps. Henderson was a reach pick who didn't block, didn't catch, didn't break tackles, lacked breakaway speed, and couldn't stay healthy. I won't miss fans trying to convince me that he was a good player. Long was a #4/5 CB type for 1030 snaps. Evans struggled in preseason as a rookie, and that rookie season was his high point. I liked Evans more than any other Rams fan, and I didn't like him. Gaines was a slow burner who played DL at a below average starter but decent level in years 3 & 4. He played for 1897 defensive snaps. Edwards was an average starter for 2 full seasons and 2 part seasons. Scott played 984 of his 1605 defensive snaps at average starter level in year 4. Allen was cut and signed to the PS. He's still in the NFL but he's bounced around.

Scale: A+ is 1st of 13, C is 8th of 13, and F is 13th of 13. Ratings are based on Draft position, quality of play, and quantity of play. Excludes special teams play.