• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Question Regarding Next Years Draft

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sam got injured before Austin was truly up to speed though.

Why can't the Rams draft Watkins AND improve the line?

Thats part of the problem right there, most wrs take a long time before they learn the offense. This wont help the team right away. Brian Quick for example, a lot of people have him as a bust only after his 2nd year. He was Sneads golden child of the draft. So IMO, if Snead drafts Watkins he is basically giving up on Quick(which I doupt)

As far as o-line. It depends on what our brass thinks about the run blocking skills of the lineman available later in the drfat. Do they like any of them??

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson (OG) would be a stud run blocker (has been compared to Warford). Yankey was an OT, but projects inside (as does Bitonio).

From CBS:

04/29/2014 - Five players who should be on the St. Louis Rams' draft radar: OG Joel Bitonio, Nevada: Bitonio is one of the hotter names in the draft and he may not be available to the Rams at No. 44 overall. If he is, however, his grit and versatility would certainly make him an intriguing fit for a team looking for help at guard. Bitonio started the final three seasons of his career with the Wolfpack at left tackle but seamlessly made the transition inside to guard (and even took snaps at center) at the Senior Bowl, showing off the powerful bunch, good lateral agility and balance necessary to handle the transition. If the Rams are truly looking to take advantage of their unusual bounty of picks with plug-n-play options, Bitonio (and Mississippi State's Gabe Jackson) is one of the few worthy candidates. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt they do it as well since their motto has been to stockpile picks.

However, it would be nice for once if they went for quality over quantity even if it means sacrificing next years 1st to get the right player.
Grantland threw out a scenario where the Rams take one top 4 players at #2 (Robinson, Clowney, Mack or Watkins) and then trade #1 next year and #13 this year to get whoever falls to #5 at the Raiders spot (assuming that either Jacksonville or Cleveland takes a QB). Their thought was that since the GM was tied to Bradford, they needed stars on offense so Snead and Fisher will go all in on Robinson and Watkins to save their jobs and build around Bradford.

The reason why this doesn't make sense is that this leaves no way to replace Bradford and the Rams still have massive holes in their secondary.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jackson (OG) would be a stud run blocker (has been compared to Warford). Yankey was an OT, but projects inside (as does Bitonio).

From CBS:

04/29/2014 - Five players who should be on the St. Louis Rams' draft radar: OG Joel Bitonio, Nevada: Bitonio is one of the hotter names in the draft and he may not be available to the Rams at No. 44 overall. If he is, however, his grit and versatility would certainly make him an intriguing fit for a team looking for help at guard. Bitonio started the final three seasons of his career with the Wolfpack at left tackle but seamlessly made the transition inside to guard (and even took snaps at center) at the Senior Bowl, showing off the powerful bunch, good lateral agility and balance necessary to handle the transition. If the Rams are truly looking to take advantage of their unusual bounty of picks with plug-n-play options, Bitonio (and Mississippi State's Gabe Jackson) is one of the few worthy candidates. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

I completely agree, we gotta beef up our line sometime in the draft. We only have 3 legitimate tackles Long, Barksdale and Saffold and it looks like we only have 2 guards Barrett Jones and Saffold. If Saffold goes down were screwed. We need depth. I honestly expect them to pick a tackle and a guard this week.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree, we gotta beef up our line sometime in the draft. We only have 3 legitimate tackles Long, Barksdale and Saffold and it looks like we only have 2 guards Barrett Jones and Saffold. If Saffold goes down were screwed. We need depth. I honestly expect them to pick a tackle and a guard this week.

They should be selecting, at a minimum, 1 OG and 1 OT. I could see them picking another developmental guy late (or via UDFA).

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either at #2,#3 or #4 or #6 or #7 depending on who trades up, the Rams get a OT in the 1st, FS or CB @ #13 and a OG in the 2nd. That is the way to go for them to win. If they could get Watkins, Martin @ #13 and a FS or CB at #44, fine.

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats part of the problem right there, most wrs take a long time before they learn the offense. This wont help the team right away. Brian Quick for example, a lot of people have him as a bust only after his 2nd year. He was Sneads golden child of the draft. So IMO, if Snead drafts Watkins he is basically giving up on Quick(which I doupt)

As far as o-line. It depends on what our brass thinks about the run blocking skills of the lineman available later in the drfat. Do they like any of them??

Sammy Watkins is unlike any of these players. Austin will take the next step and I already think Watkins is better than him. We can grab numerous inside linemen in the early part of the 2nd round and fill our OLine needs in the 2nd. Watkins is a playmaker at 2, and Dix/Pyror makes our defense much better as well at #13.