• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Question on Free Agent Retention

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This might be a dumb question, but...

Would you be in support of a change in cap rules that allowed teams to resign a certain number of their own free agents for more than their cap figure (so pay 18 but count as 16, for example)? NBA allows the team to re-sign its free agents for more than any other team can offer, but it counts against their cap the same. The NFL already has the franchise tag and the head start time to negotiate with your own to encourage retention.

I realize this could hurt our chances of signing free agents, but it would put an emphasis on the draft. They could have this only apply to those drafted by their team, on their first extension, first year of extension eligibility, and have a proportional cap hit (so more is more), etc.

Should they encourage player retention abilities at all?

stammer78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This might be a dumb question, but...

Would you be in support of a change in cap rules that allowed teams to resign a certain number of their own free agents for more than their cap figure (so pay 18 but count as 16, for example)? NBA allows the team to re-sign its free agents for more than any other team can offer, but it counts against their cap the same. The NFL already has the franchise tag and the head start time to negotiate with your own to encourage retention.

I realize this could hurt our chances of signing free agents, but it would put an emphasis on the draft. They could have this only apply to those drafted by their team, on their first extension, first year of extension eligibility, and have a proportional cap hit (so more is more), etc.

Should they encourage player retention abilities at all?

I think that's what makes the NBA kind of shady. There needs to be a line for salaries. I think baseball needs to develop a salary cap as well. Salaries are getting a little carried away.