• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Question for cooking show fans

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't follow.....

Why use inedible ingredients when we have a plethora of delicious and edible ones with limitless potential? Cooking is celebrating food, not survival.

I think his point is that given the top notch ingredients those people are using, most could make a palatable meal.

I'm kind of on board, but would need its own show. Don't mess up the current ones. but show me someone that can create a good meal using some off the wall ingredients, and I'd be more impressed. I've thought the same thing about BBQ Pitmasters. They should make those guys use supplied meat. Sure, I can smoke up a Wagyu brisket and make it look perfect. But let's see what these top cookers can do with a USDA Select brisket from Tom Thumb, like the vast majority of us do.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chopped specifically. How is my suggestion NOT a more challenging variation on their predictable, pedestrian format?

Asking chefs to cook with non-food to show how skilled they are is like asking hockey players to play with a pool cue to show how good they are.

ChiefWhiteHorse

Scrofula
A little town called none of ya god damn bidness
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think his point is that given the top notch ingredients those people are using, most could make a palatable meal.

I'm kind of on board, but would need its own show. Don't mess up the current ones. but show me someone that can create a good meal using some off the wall ingredients, and I'd be more impressed. I've thought the same thing about BBQ Pitmasters. They should make those guys use supplied meat. Sure, I can smoke up a Wagyu brisket and make it look perfect. But let's see what these top cookers can do with a USDA Select brisket from Tom Thumb, like the vast majority of us do.

^^ That's what I'm getting at...

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put it on FX or Spyke then. Food network has already become to sensationalized. I also doubt you would get actual top notch chefs to do it.

Meh, not like I am going to be cooking or eating food from/by the top chefs anyways.

The guy that can take ingredients that 99% of the households that are cable subscribers and watching at home have in their pantry or typically buy, and he/she can turn that into a meal is the guy I care to watch anyways. Not big fan of the top/iron chef for that reason. On the odd chance that I need to scale and serve a perfectly cooked tuna, I'll probably need to do more than watch an hour of TV anyways. Americas Test Kitchen, now THERE is a cooking show.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, not like I am going to be cooking or eating food from/by the top chefs anyways.

The guy that can take ingredients that 99% of the households that are cable subscribers and watching at home have in their pantry or typically buy, and he/she can turn that into a meal is the guy I care to watch anyways. Not big fan of the top/iron chef for that reason. On the odd chance that I need to scale and serve a perfectly cooked tuna, I'll probably need to do more than watch an hour of TV anyways. Americas Test Kitchen, now THERE is a cooking show.

I agree with this. However inedible foods seems stupid to me.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this. However inedible foods seems stupid to me.

Maybe if they called it "Top Fear Factor Chef" and then the person who cooked it had to eat it.

I'd watch that, once.

whyoh

Go Yale!
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought for sure this was going to be "which cooking show host would you most like to bang".

73791.jpg

ladyrockess

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think peach pits are poisonous, no?

Yeah, don't they have cyanide in them or something? I could swear I read a murder mystery where someone was poisoned with peach pits.

Beggs

Nipples of a God
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they have that show already

Andrew-Zimmern-promo.jpg