• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Q's 2nd Round Steals

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If any of these guys fall to the 2nd round, steal....

Roddy, Christian Braun, Ryan Rollins, Beachamp.

Yeah. Some of them don’t follow my rules for this. But yes I like quite a few of them

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Some of them don’t follow my rules for this. But yes I like quite a few of them
Yeah, I did actually read your note.

But, didn't look at their mock.

Sorry.

I like anything from Givony. Tankathon and NBAdraft.net.

All those guys are listed as 2nd rounders.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I did actually read your note.

But, didn't look at their mock.

Sorry.

I like anything from Givony. Tankathon and NBAdraft.net.

All those guys are listed as 2nd rounders.

Yea roddy’s stock has tanked since I posted this lol

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woooooooooo

We are back for another year.

By now you should know the drill (and if you're new, check out the OP for how I do this).

I got absolutely crushed by risers. Not sure this is the best class for this. The first round bubble is here is going to be interesting.

Guys who don't qualify who might've made it:

Noah Clowney
Brandin Podziemski
Andre Jackson
Jaime Jaquez
Sidy Cissoko
Marcus Sasser
Olivier-Maxence Prosper

The Ancients

Kobe Brown, PF, Mizzou
Brown combiens useful size (6-7.5) with a huge wingspan (7-0.75 wingspan) with a feathery touch. He can shoot (although not as good as his 3pt% for this year...there's no reason he can't shoot in the high 30s), he moves the ball and creates for others with a high usage rate. He's a very efficient player with low turnovers. So what's the problem? Well he's already 23 and these guys don't have a great track record. He also is not a shot blocker and his defensive ratings are not great. I have him as a fun gamble...outside the top 40. And the same for his teammate.

Jalen Pickett, PG, Penn St

Pickett is a transfer who lead Penn st to levels unseen in a generation. He's got good size at 6-3 and a good enough wingpsan at over 6-7. But he's PG only. He was one of the most highly used players in the country and relied on patience, guile and a a feathery touch. His stat lines are unique. The questions with him are his athleticism (zero dunks) and role. he's too high usage for a guy who is likely a backup PG at the next level. The shorter shotclock could also pose a problem as he'll need to exercise less patience than usual. Still, his well roundedness of dibble/pass/shoot, size, and versatility make him an intirguing pick.

Cheap Centers
Colin Castleton, C, Florida
A weird profile as he's a good passer and a smart defender with good but not great block rates. He shoots FTs reasonably well but isn't the most confident shooter outside the paint, turns down too many open looks. I don't need him to shoot to make him worth a second round pick. This is a guy who needs to add some weight to his frame, and be a decent backup drop coverage C. It's not a home run, but you can easily see a guy like this as a solid double.

Liam Robbins, C, Vanderbilt
The dorks get one on the board! But a guy with Robbins size at 7-0 who can shoot the 3 (36.5%) are going to catch my eye. He's a pure drop coverage C but one of the best shot blockers in the country this year. He's not going to do much else besides 3&d. But it's a uniqute profile and his FT shooting isnt bad (73%) so it makes me think this could be legit. But he's only done it one year shooting the ball, so there's some risk here. He's a late 2nd rounder due to that risk.

The Sticky Bandit

Jaylen Clark, SG, UCLA
Clark is slightly undersized for the 2 at 6-4, but makes up for it with a 6-9 wingspan and quickness. one of the best defenders in his class. Great "stocks" guy. Good one on one and team defender. Offensively he is developing as a shooter and has added a floater that is not at least a weapon that needs to be respected. But his game comes down to that jumper. 33% on catch and shoot last year and was not seen as a threat by the opposing teams. And his ball handling is not going to allow him to slide down to the 1. He's gotta play up and use that length on 2s. The question is can he at least become a threat offensively so that his defense can stay on the floor? His injury really did him no favors either. Torn achilles this late is an issue for him being ready next season.

Jordan Walsh, Wing, Arkansas
Walsh is basically the perfect NBA frame at 6-6 and a 7-2 wingspan. He's a big dude who can guard guys bigger and smaller than him. A legit opportunity to switch around the entire court and guard everyone on the floor. He's one of the best defenders in the entire class. And somehow, Arkansas was also much better on offense with on the floor than not, despite him not shooting at all. But that shooting is an issue. His FT shooting says it's not as bad as his 3pt shooting (71.2% from the line) but it's not ideal. He is a guy who knows how to make those cuts to get score at the basket like Brown used to do when the Nets played him at C. I'm betting on this kid. If he can get to 35% from 3 he's a playoff rotation regular.

Looks the Part

Toumani Camara, Dayton
The dude is built like a ready made wing (6-7 with a 7 foot wingspan) and a switchable defender who passes the "stock" test (ideally 2 stocks per 36 minutes) and can switch around the floor although not as well as guys like Walsh. Shot 36.2% from 3 but was also 66.9% form the FT line, but his catch and shoot was 36.8% so it's a weird profile. With that size, defensive ability and switchability, I'll take a chance on him. He's not perfect, it's his first year really shooting and he's basically limited to shooting and defense. But it also wasn't the best fit this year and he's a guy who clearly stood out in Portsmouth and carried that momentum into the combine.

Julian Phillips, F Tennessee
Philips is a big wing (6-7, 6-11.5 wingspan) who is one of the better defenders in this class. Elite explosive athleticism (42 inch vert). He's strong in the transition game. He also has some touch as he shot 82% from the FT line, and was quite good at drawing fouls to get there. His biggest issues are strength, he needs another 10-15 pounds of muscle to be able to body up with guy, and his 3pt shooting was atrocious. But like I mentioned above, he has signs of hope with his touch at the FT line. He really reminds me a bit of a smaller aaron gordon. And I do think that Denver takes him at 37 or 40 in this draft.

Omari Moore, G/F, San Jose State
Moore played for an awful program and dragged them to 20 wins. He's got great size for a G and good for a wing at 6-5 and 6-10 wingspan. Good but not great athlete who has good body control. He also had a HUGE usage rate and didn't turn the ball over. Low stock numbers are concerning. Almost 76% from the FT line so he has some touch and a workable shot. But he's slender, and uncomfortable with catch and shoot (27% from catch and shot 3s this year) which is a problem since that's going to be a key piece of his job in the NBA as his usage rate will also go down. He's a tweener like Terrence Mann was coming out.

(3 pt) Bombs Away

Julian Strawther, Wing, Gonzaga
He's got one remarkable skill. And it's a good one. Dude can shoot it. Over 40% from 3, and 77.6% from the line. He made 42% of his 3s beyond 25 feet and 36.4% of his 3s beyond 27 feet. He knows how to move without the ball and get to an open spot where his (mediocre at best this year) guards could find him. He is also a decent rebounder for his role. Also has a good floater.He's a 3 and D guy at the next level, but most of it comes down to his shooting. Which is plug and play. But he's not a good athlete and will need to focus on it to snot get played off the floor in the NBA. He's got the size to make it work.

Seth Lundy, SG, Penn St
Lundy has size at 6-5 in shoes and 6-10.25 wingspan. He's got good touch shooting 80.7% from the 3pt line and this season that finally extended to the 3pt line at 40%. he shot just as well on the many catch and shoot 3s he had from Pickett this year. But he's pretty one dimensional, but quite good at it. He's big and strong and a decent defender and athlete. He's a bigger, stronger Seth Curry package. I like him quite a bit as a solid double type pick. Plug and play style on virtually any roster.

Blue Chippers

Amari Bailey, G, UCLA
Kid was a high profile recruit for a reason, and while he struggled early, especially with his shot, he really came on and figured it out once Clark got hurt. He's a big PG at 6'4.25 in shoes with a 6'7 wingspan. he finished at the rim (over 61%) and hit 40% of his midrange jumpers, so he's a credible threat. He's a willing defender, but not an elite athlete. The issue is he's not a great FT shooter either. He's raw for a PG and needs to tighten it up since he's not a super explosive athlete. This guy can be a steal but might need some time to develop his PG game.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been a bunch of talk of people hyping up James Nnaji. Just looking from clips, it's hard to say. He's so raw its almost impossible to tell from just a superfan's perspective. For a 2nd rounder though, definitely worth it though with his athletic ability. Especially if you're an organization that's got some good post player development coaches. Bring him, let those guys work with him every day, and put him in the G League for heavy minutes then see what happens

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been a bunch of talk of people hyping up James Nnaji. Just looking from clips, it's hard to say. He's so raw its almost impossible to tell from just a superfan's perspective. For a 2nd rounder though, definitely worth it though with his athletic ability. Especially if you're an organization that's got some good post player development coaches. Bring him, let those guys work with him every day, and put him in the G League for heavy minutes then see what happens

I’ve seen him locked in round 1. So he didn’t qualify. But I definitely wouldn’t hate the Celtics grabbing him at 35 if possible

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@The Q this is a great thread. Went back and read it and you busted out with some really solid names. It also seems like Sixers brass read your work. Shake Milton, BBall Paul, Treveylin Queen, Julian Champagne all at one time or another were in the Sixers organization.

I remember at the time really loving Sindarius Thornwell like you did. Whatever happened to that dude? Is he still hanging around?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@The Q this is a great thread. Went back and read it and you busted out with some really solid names. It also seems like Sixers brass read your work. Shake Milton, BBall Paul, Treveylin Queen, Julian Champagne all at one time or another were in the Sixers organization.

I remember at the time really loving Sindarius Thornwell like you did. Whatever happened to that dude? Is he still hanging around?

Thanks

No surprise on the sixers since those guys were all mostly analytically inclined

Thornwell as fun. Has an interesting profile

He got 5 years in the nba and is now overseas

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks

No surprise on the sixers since those guys were all mostly analytically inclined

Thornwell as fun. Has an interesting profile

He got 5 years in the nba and is now overseas
He had an exceptional NCAA tournament his Senior year (I’m assuming he was a 4 year guy; either way it was the Tourney right before his draft, maybe he was a junior I can’t recall).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm intrigued by Vukcevic, but he's on that 1st/2nd bubble as well. Could be anywhere from 25 to 40 from the mocks I've seen?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm intrigued by Vukcevic, but he's on that 1st/2nd bubble as well. Could be anywhere from 25 to 40 from the mocks I've seen?

Yeah, a team like Indy with 3 firsts might end up just stashing him

I could see lac do it if they can’t make a deal for 30 (I’d just move bad contracts and 30 to land Paul so the lakers don’t lol)

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, a team like Indy with 3 firsts might end up just stashing him

I could see lac do it if they can’t make a deal for 30 (I’d just move bad contracts and 30 to land Paul so the lakers don’t lol)

If they want to block CP3 from the Lakers, feel free. I'm not overly enthused about adding him, as his real value would be in the playoffs. We all know what he does in the playoffs - gets hurt and misses games while his team exits.

I'm interested in some of these Lakers/Pacers rumors where the Lakers trade back from 17 and get Hield for Beasley, while picking up a later Pacer pick or two. If the Lakers could get Lewis/Murray and Vukcevic with those 2 picks? Nice.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they want to block CP3 from the Lakers, feel free. I'm not overly enthused about adding him, as his real value would be in the playoffs. We all know what he does in the playoffs - gets hurt and misses games while his team exits.

I'm interested in some of these Lakers/Pacers rumors where the Lakers trade back from 17 and get Hield for Beasley, while picking up a later Pacer pick or two. If the Lakers could get Lewis/Murray and Vukcevic with those 2 picks? Nice.

Playing with those other stars they could rest Paul more

I’m curious how it works

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing with those other stars they could rest Paul more

I’m curious how it works

If he's available for the vet min, I'm sure the Lakers will pursue him. Trading assets for him that could limit their summer otherwise? I don't see it.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he's available for the vet min, I'm sure the Lakers will pursue him. Trading assets for him that could limit their summer otherwise? I don't see it.

Yep, so far, the reports seem to be that the Lakers are only interested in pursuing him if he is released/bought out or stretched. I wouldn't want to see them give up a single asset to get him.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, so far, the reports seem to be that the Lakers are only interested in pursuing him if he is released/bought out or stretched. I wouldn't want to see them give up a single asset to get him.

I think talk of his demise is way overblown

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think talk of his demise is way overblown

It's not really about his demise, it's about his track record.

He's a guy who helps your team, but always gets hurt at the worst possible time. It's happened everywhere he's been.

At this point, he is who he is, which is why I'm definitely in favor of the Lakers pursuing him for a vet min, but not trading for him.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not really about his demise, it's about his track record.

He's a guy who helps your team, but always gets hurt at the worst possible time. It's happened everywhere he's been.

At this point, he is who he is, which is why I'm definitely in favor of the Lakers pursuing him for a vet min, but not trading for him.

Not demise so much as slow decline. He's no longer the defender he was and he dropped to 44% last year (although that was at least in part to taking more 3s, where he did rebound from a poor % the year prior).

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’ve seen him locked in round 1. So he didn’t qualify. But I definitely wouldn’t hate the Celtics grabbing him at 35 if possible

He's that high now? Geez. Last I looked (like a week ago literally), he was still in the 40s.