• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Q's 2nd Round Steals

ChrisperJ10

Above Average Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@The Q some very nice picks in there. Obviously, Trent is above all but some really good young players

2017 - Josh Hart
2018 - Gary Trent Jr.
2019 - THT, Claxton. Cody Martin and Gafford
2020 - Reed
2021 - Did I miss it or did you not do this for 2021 draft?
I remember getting shit on by Twitter users that Portland needed to build around Simons and Trent Jr and trade away their undersized, overpriced backcourt.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Tremont Waters and Grant Williams.

Grant Williams is just a winner. Takes big shots, makes big shots.

Waters is a baller. Can score, and has vision. I'll always favor the guys who have shown me they can play the game, and aren't just a bunch of raw potential.

I believe that for a lot of NBA players a lot of what determines if they start on a decent team or are out of the league in a year is who gives them a chance to play.

Look at Fred Van Vleet. If things worked out a little differently, the guy could easily have been playing in Greece at this point...

Guess I did OK with the Grant Williams pick.

Waters is out of the NBA.

Little guards just cant play in the NBA anymore.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess I did OK with the Grant Williams pick.

Waters is out of the NBA.

Little guards just cant play in the NBA anymore.

Williams was fine, as I said when you made it, he was pretty solidly considered a first rounder

Really glad he’s figured it out though.

It was a rough first few seasons and I’m hoping nesmith follows the same path.

Right now he’s a shooter who…isn’t shooting…gotta think that regresses to the mean In a good way

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of those guys has to step forward and take the back up Embiid minutes. I’m all about Bassey because I think he can really rim run and bring a defensive presence. That will be great in non-Embiid minutes and insurance against Embiid having a 20+ game injury. I still see a place for Paul Reed but he has to get run. This new Tobias Harris we’re seeing of late may be able to play minutes at the 3 with Embiid and BBall Paul at the 4 when they need rebounding and have to guard a team with length and athleticism.

I love taking those centers late in the draft

Pulling a legit rotation level backup center after pick 40 is at least a double.

Bassey, Jericho sims, reed those types. Guys who are a bit older, long, and can defend a bit to keep giving them at least a chance.

ChrisperJ10

Above Average Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love taking those centers late in the draft

Pulling a legit rotation level backup center after pick 40 is at least a double.

Bassey, Jericho sims, reed those types. Guys who are a bit older, long, and can defend a bit to keep giving them at least a chance.
Lengthy players like Jones, Sims need a little time to develope.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FINALLY. It's BACK.

Remember the rules, guys who are first round picks in any of the real main stream mocks are off the board (I can't promise I've seen every mock, just a lot of the mainstream ones). This means even fringe guys like Wendell Moore (who would've made the list if not mocked late R1) are inelgible. I've lost a few guys to going back to school (including "Best Nance" Pete Nance) and had a few guys rocket up on me post combine (Laravia and Jalen Williams for instance)

Remember: I'm not hunting for the next Jokic, Ginobili, Gasol, Draymond, Rashard Lewis etc. I'm just looking for the guys who can make an impact.

Foreign Flavor

Gabriel Procida, Italy, - A wing who isn't as long as I usually like (only +1 wingspan). But Procida is the above average euro athlete, and he can shoot. He was still efficient in his pro league, drew plenty of fouls, and even had plus blocks for a wing. And, he's the same age as Chet Holmgren.

The Legacies

Jabari Walker, F, Colorado - Yes, that's Samaki Walker's kid. Yes, we are old AF. But this kid is not. He's going to be 20 in late july. Is one of the best rebounders in this draft pound for pound. Which might overrate his plus defensive contributions. But limiting possessions is a defensive skill. He's also plus at getting to the line. Surprisingly another guy not super long at only +2.5 (average for the nba is around +3). He's not a great guy with the ball as his asst to turnover rate shows, but his size, defense, youth and ability to draw fouls mean I'll happily take a flier on him in round 2.

Max Christie, G, Michigan St - there's not much of a reason to go with Christie except for this: 1) good bloodlines, 2) it feels like he was misused at Mich St and that is pulling down his draft stock (Miles Bridges anyone?) His FT% shows there's real touch there, and his minimal turnovers shows he's not careless with the ball. He also didnt' foul alot, which isnt' all that common for freshmen. He's also age appropriate and not a 20 year old freshman like many of the top frosh are. Liekly a first round pick if he went back to school due to all that Mich St lost and Izzo woudl've been forced to give him the keys to the kingdom.

The Role Players

Vince Williams, F, VCU - I think Williams has been sneaking under the radar. He's 6-6 with a 7 ft wing span (there we go, now we're cooking. He shot almost 40% from 3 his last 2 years at VCU on almost 5 attempts per game. he also shot 81.4% from the FT line to back that up. Plus steals, and blocks (you want 2 combined per 36 min at a minimum) and an elite D rating and D win shares. He also can pass the ball. He's not a star, he's a 3 and D guy. And he knows that role already from VCU.

Keon Ellis, G, Alabama - Much like his teammate Herb Jones last year, Ellis was a guy i thought would pop into the round 1 discussion. Almost 6-5 with a 6-8.5 wingspan. Elite steals and 3 blocks + steals per 36. He also shot 36.6% from 3 and projects even better at the next level. But he's not perfect. He does foul alot. and he's going to be almost 23 by opening night. But again, not a star. But a guy who is long, shoots 3s and can create turnovers or other fast break opportunities. (SIDE NOTE: Ellis and Procida also tied for the second lowest body fat % at the combine at 3.8%)

Ryan Rollings G Toledo - Standing 6-3 with a 6-9 wingspan (!!!) Rollins is a guy who checks a lot of boxes. he'll turn right after the draft, can score, is a plus defender. The reason he's likely not a first rounder yet is his 3 ball hasn't quite hit. But his other shooting metrics show he should be able to make it work. I think this guy can be an ideal backup PG on a good team. (NOTE: Rollins and Procida tied for the fasted 3/4 court sprint at 3.07 seconds)

Julian Champagnie, F, St Johns - Campagnie was a top player in the Big East. He has quite a few flaws due to the blackhole nature of his game plus the fact that he's 21. But you look at all the pieces and there's something there. Elite steal numbers and plus blocks, plus a guy projected to shoot the NBA 3 better than his college numbers thanks to his 78% FT. He's also 6-7.75 with a 6-10 wingspan. He's got some grant williams to his game, but a guy who needs better coaching to iron out some of the bad shots out of his system. The good news is that he does tend to avoid turnovers.

Tevin Brown, F, Murray St - Another potential 3 and D guy. Career 38% 3 pt shooter, 75% from the line. He's just under the passable line for blocks steals, meaning he's likely not a freak defensively. He also probably needs to get stronger. But a guy who could fit that 3 and D mold. He won't embarrass himself handling the ball, although he can hold onto it for too long, likely won't be an issue in the NBA when he's in more of a supporting role instead of being one of the top players on the team.

The Freak
Josh Minott, F, Memphis - of all the guys on this list, he might be the least shocking to make round 1. In fact, it woudlnt surprise me in the last. Minott is an analytics dymo with his blocks, steals, and rebounds. His issue was getting on the court with a loaded Memphis front court. He also has a promising outside shot with his 75% FT%. It's projected to be right around fringe at this point. But there's signs of touch. This is a guy I'd bet on. Big fan.

High Recruited Long Shots
Peyton Watson, F, UCLA - Watson is young with a 7 foot wingspan and was a very highly rated recruit. he also put put some good defensive numbers with blocks and steals. But he struggled to get on the court for the veteran Bruins. He's more of a dart throw for me, but it's a fun one with his projections. Kind of a mini Minott.

Makur Makur - Sydney Kings - Guy was a 5 star recruit who got injured his one year in college. Another pure dart throw. But especially for a team who can put him on a 2 way? I think he's a fun gamble.

Guys who don't qualify who might've made it with a little less optimistic projections:

Christian Braun
Andrew Nembhard (much better athlete and I expected)
David Roddy (although he is falling in mocks, still doesn't qualify)

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isaiah Mobley - USC - He's Evans older, less talented brother. He has a skill set that is similar to Evan in that he's a big who can pass, shoot, rebound and play defense...just not at the level of his brother. He's more physical than Evan.

He's not a guy that will ever lead a team to a title...but he's the kind of role player that every title contender needs. The comparison that keeps popping into my head for him is Markieff Morris.

ChrisperJ10

Above Average Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makur Makur - Sydney Kings - Guy was a 5 star recruit who got injured his one year in college. Another pure dart throw. But especially for a team who can put him on a 2 way? I think he's a fun gamble.
Dude is probably 35 already… Who knows with that family lol

ChrisperJ10

Above Average Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wendell Moore Jr is projected as a 2nd rd pick in a couple mock drafts I follow. Looks like the next solid 3&D player.

PBJ has fallen hard. Was a potential lotto pick and now projected as a 2nd rounder because of injuries, mostly. IF he can stay healthy, would be a great value pick on potential alone because he’s a 6’10 3 level scorer.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wendell Moore Jr is projected as a 2nd rd pick in a couple mock drafts I follow. Looks like the next solid 3&D player.

PBJ has fallen hard. Was a potential lotto pick and now projected as a 2nd rounder because of injuries, mostly. IF he can stay healthy, would be a great value pick on potential alone because he’s a 6’10 3 level scorer.

PBJ?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Both guys have some first round mocks so I couldn’t use them for this.

Baldwin is a guy who is supposed to shoot but is a terrible athlete (nba standards)

But he has a weird year. He was hurt, and played on a team so bad that he only had 7 open shots all season

ChrisperJ10

Above Average Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baldwin is a guy who is supposed to shoot but is a terrible athlete (nba standards)
Wish he would’ve stayed committed to Duke and seen what happened to his game with Banchero/Griffin

Last edited:

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think both guys out of Michigan Caleb Houstan and Moussa Diabate would be great second round projects. Both should have gone back to school to put on some more bulk and get more experience; they would both likely be first founders next year.

ChrisperJ10

Above Average Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think both guys out of Michigan Caleb Houstan and Moussa Diabate would be great second round projects. Both should have gone back to school to put on some more bulk and get more experience; they would both likely be first founders next year.
Back in September I said Caleb Houstan was “Jayson Tatum” lite obviously when it came to potential. Both have the same body and Houstan has scoring 3 level scoring.

Defense obviously separates these two.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back in September I said Caleb Houstan was “Jayson Tatum” lite obviously when it came to potential. Both have the same body and Houstan has scoring 3 level scoring.

Defense obviously separates these two.

So you are saying Houstan isn’t an all time great defender?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

they 100% shoudl've gone back to school.

Although if Houstan is the limited athlete his current scouting report reads, it may not matter that much. Guys like that only have so much their stock can improve anyway. Might as well start getting paid and learn on the job.

Now Diabate is an analytics disaster right now. Dude needs as much game reps as possible.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've seen Moore mocked as high as like the Philly pick, and as low as about pick 40.

I love the guy as a late first, early second.

He likely wont' be a star, but there's a non zero chance he can be a middleton type guy. But he's most likely just a good solid role player. Those guys have value. I think he's a really fun pick for a GS.

he's a good shooter who would get more open looks than he could possibly imagine playing with that offense and cast.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If any of these guys fall to the 2nd round, steal....

Roddy, Christian Braun, Ryan Rollins, Beachamp.