• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Q's 2nd Round Steals

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is something I used to do on the old board (KFFL) and it became a yearly thing.

Some of my past favorite hits have been: Danny Green, Khris Middleton, Jamychal Green, Brandon Bass, Milsap, Will Barton, Jae Crowder, Kyle O'Quinn, Allen Crabbe, . Sure there are plenty of misses in there. But that's the point, no one likes these guys. Last year McCaw and Brogdan were 2 of mine last year (I also had Onuaku...so again, I don't claim perfection).

(I also didn't include guys who randomly fell to round 2 unexpectedly like Whiteside or DeAndre Jordan).

My whole thing with this is guys who are already projected to be round 2 picks who will likely out play that draft position.

For the purposes of this exercise I use the Draft Express mock. Anyone in round 1 is out.

Also, I encourage others to share their potential steals.

So without further ado:

The College Stars

Jordan Bell PF Oregon: In this modern era of "position-less basketball" Bell is exactly the kind of role player you're looking to find. He's long (6'11.5 wingspan) and has the ability to guard 4 or even all 5 spots on the floor in certain situations. With all the talk about "Death Lineups" he's a guy you can have on the floor to combat it defensively. Offensively he's alarmingly efficient from the floor, but his FT shooting is meh and his 3pt shooting is non-existent. he's probably never going to be a classic stretch 4. But his size, versatility and general offensive efficiency make him a very useful role player. I still don't think he ends up landing in round 2.

Josh Hart, SG, Villanova: 6'5 height and 6'8 wingspan give him the size he needs. Probably needs to bulk up a bit. I don't think he's a ball handler play maker 3 apg, 2 TO/g, but he can put it on the floor when he needs to. Again, very efficient player. decent FT shooter (75%), and 40% from 3 shows signs. He's a classic spurs type player. This is a Courtney Lee type profile. A little less on D though.

Devin Robinson, SF Florida: This is your classic 3 and D type player. He shouldn't be dribbling. Basically ever except on the break, but he's pretty good when he can get going there. But he found the stroke from 3. He's a 72% from FT line so that shooting still needs a bit of work. But has the tools be dynamite defensively, but still learning some of the nuances of team defense. This kid needs to go somewhere with a strong defensive coach like SA, Minny, Dallas or Boston. I'd love to see him with Minny or Dallas. Potential Jae Crowder situation here. But again, that's the high end.

Sindarius Thornwell, SG, South Carolina: This guy finally got to strut his stuff on the big stage and man he didn't disappoint. He's 6'5 with a 6'10 wingspan so he's got the length to cover some 3s. But he's ideally a 2 with length to really both your typical 2s. His game is pretty well rounded. Strong block and steal numbers (2/1pg) and shot 39% from 3 and is an 82% FT shooter, so that looks pretty legit. Averaging 7 rebounds per game as a SG is absurd. His defensive is his calling card. His biggest issue is the lower vertical leap makes him a low % finisher at the rim, dragging down his overall shooting %. For me he's a classic 3 and D profile. Those guys can be pretty freaking valuable.

Lesser Known Guys

Alec Peters PF Valparaiso: More of a classic stretch 4. The kid is a pretty good shooter (88% FT) which means his 36% 3pt shooting is likely for real. His defensive issues are value (less than a block or a steal per game) but I see him playing the poor man's Harrison Barnes on the Warriors role for a team. He'll stand in the corner, hit 3s, do some rebounding and try not to embarrass himself on defense. Again, not a star, but can be a very useful role player.

Cameron Oliver, PF, Nevada: Oliver probably has the highest upside of nay of these guys I have listed here. He's 6-8 1/4 in shoes, but a 7-1 1/4 wingpan gives him some absurd length. He also has a 39.5 max vertical, showing some elite level athleticism. His game is very strong almost across the board. 8.6 board per game, and 2.6 blocks and almost 1 steal per game showcase his value on defense. And offensively he's just fascinating. Shooting 52% from the field and 38% from 3 shows he has some talent, but the biggest concern is that 69% FT shooting %. It makes we wonder about this 3pt shooting (cause FT% is a better indicator of 3pt % than 3pt % itself). But he also did it on almost 5 3s per game average. This is the guy with the highest upside of anyone else out there on this list. He may be a little raw, but he's well worth a late first IMO.

Strong Longshot
Jake Wiley, PF Eastern Washington: This is a guy I'll be rooting for. 6'7 with shoes but a 7 foot wingpan is condor like. He's very long. He's a plus plus athlete with a 3.17 3/4 sprint (would've been top 5 at the combine) and a 37.5 no step vert, which is also strong. He's also known for a plus motor. His 80% ft shooting gives hope that he can expand his game out to the perimeter a bit. I'm not going to project him out to 3pt land with that, but it's intriguing. Defensively he averages almost 3 blocks a steal per game. Showing is defensive athleticism and motor. This is the kind of guy who can really surprise people when given a chance, but with only 2 years of D1 college experience (1 year at Montana, 1 at Eastern Washington) it's a tough situation for evaluation purposes. The biggest concern is why he quit basketball at montana to run track (400 meters, so you know he's athletic lol). It's a legit question, but one I'd be willing to roll the dice on to find out.

@LogicMan so you don't miss it.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is something I used to do on the old board (KFFL) and it became a yearly thing.

Some of my past favorite hits have been: Danny Green, Khris Middleton, Jamychal Green, Brandon Bass, Milsap, Will Barton, Jae Crowder, Kyle O'Quinn, Allen Crabbe, . Sure there are plenty of misses in there. But that's the point, no one likes these guys. Last year McCaw and Brogdan were 2 of mine last year (I also had Onuaku...so again, I don't claim perfection).

(I also didn't include guys who randomly fell to round 2 unexpectedly like Whiteside or DeAndre Jordan).

My whole thing with this is guys who are already projected to be round 2 picks who will likely out play that draft position.

For the purposes of this exercise I use the Draft Express mock. Anyone in round 1 is out.

Also, I encourage others to share their potential steals.

So without further ado:

The College Stars

Jordan Bell PF Oregon: In this modern era of "position-less basketball" Bell is exactly the kind of role player you're looking to find. He's long (6'11.5 wingspan) and has the ability to guard 4 or even all 5 spots on the floor in certain situations. With all the talk about "Death Lineups" he's a guy you can have on the floor to combat it defensively. Offensively he's alarmingly efficient from the floor, but his FT shooting is meh and his 3pt shooting is non-existent. he's probably never going to be a classic stretch 4. But his size, versatility and general offensive efficiency make him a very useful role player. I still don't think he ends up landing in round 2.

Josh Hart, SG, Villanova: 6'5 height and 6'8 wingspan give him the size he needs. Probably needs to bulk up a bit. I don't think he's a ball handler play maker 3 apg, 2 TO/g, but he can put it on the floor when he needs to. Again, very efficient player. decent FT shooter (75%), and 40% from 3 shows signs. He's a classic spurs type player. This is a Courtney Lee type profile. A little less on D though.

Devin Robinson, SF Florida: This is your classic 3 and D type player. He shouldn't be dribbling. Basically ever except on the break, but he's pretty good when he can get going there. But he found the stroke from 3. He's a 72% from FT line so that shooting still needs a bit of work. But has the tools be dynamite defensively, but still learning some of the nuances of team defense. This kid needs to go somewhere with a strong defensive coach like SA, Minny, Dallas or Boston. I'd love to see him with Minny or Dallas. Potential Jae Crowder situation here. But again, that's the high end.

Sindarius Thornwell, SG, South Carolina: This guy finally got to strut his stuff on the big stage and man he didn't disappoint. He's 6'5 with a 6'10 wingspan so he's got the length to cover some 3s. But he's ideally a 2 with length to really both your typical 2s. His game is pretty well rounded. Strong block and steal numbers (2/1pg) and shot 39% from 3 and is an 82% FT shooter, so that looks pretty legit. Averaging 7 rebounds per game as a SG is absurd. His defensive is his calling card. His biggest issue is the lower vertical leap makes him a low % finisher at the rim, dragging down his overall shooting %. For me he's a classic 3 and D profile. Those guys can be pretty freaking valuable.

Lesser Known Guys

Alec Peters PF Valparaiso: More of a classic stretch 4. The kid is a pretty good shooter (88% FT) which means his 36% 3pt shooting is likely for real. His defensive issues are value (less than a block or a steal per game) but I see him playing the poor man's Harrison Barnes on the Warriors role for a team. He'll stand in the corner, hit 3s, do some rebounding and try not to embarrass himself on defense. Again, not a star, but can be a very useful role player.

Cameron Oliver, PF, Nevada: Oliver probably has the highest upside of nay of these guys I have listed here. He's 6-8 1/4 in shoes, but a 7-1 1/4 wingpan gives him some absurd length. He also has a 39.5 max vertical, showing some elite level athleticism. His game is very strong almost across the board. 8.6 board per game, and 2.6 blocks and almost 1 steal per game showcase his value on defense. And offensively he's just fascinating. Shooting 52% from the field and 38% from 3 shows he has some talent, but the biggest concern is that 69% FT shooting %. It makes we wonder about this 3pt shooting (cause FT% is a better indicator of 3pt % than 3pt % itself). But he also did it on almost 5 3s per game average. This is the guy with the highest upside of anyone else out there on this list. He may be a little raw, but he's well worth a late first IMO.

Strong Longshot
Jake Wiley, PF Eastern Washington: This is a guy I'll be rooting for. 6'7 with shoes but a 7 foot wingpan is condor like. He's very long. He's a plus plus athlete with a 3.17 3/4 sprint (would've been top 5 at the combine) and a 37.5 no step vert, which is also strong. He's also known for a plus motor. His 80% ft shooting gives hope that he can expand his game out to the perimeter a bit. I'm not going to project him out to 3pt land with that, but it's intriguing. Defensively he averages almost 3 blocks a steal per game. Showing is defensive athleticism and motor. This is the kind of guy who can really surprise people when given a chance, but with only 2 years of D1 college experience (1 year at Montana, 1 at Eastern Washington) it's a tough situation for evaluation purposes. The biggest concern is why he quit basketball at montana to run track (400 meters, so you know he's athletic lol). It's a legit question, but one I'd be willing to roll the dice on to find out.

@LogicMan so you don't miss it.

I really like Hart and Peters especially. Both I think could help teams right away, Peters specifically. He looks like a Ryan Anderson clone to me.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like Hart and Peters especially. Both I think could help teams right away, Peters specifically. He looks like a Ryan Anderson clone to me.

That potential is definitely in there. That's his high end. But Anderson also came into the league 2 years younger than him. I think that matters quite a bit.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Love both these guys and id put my money on both being better than a big chunk of the guys that go Round one

Bell is a physical/Athletic freak who can be every bit the player Tristan Thompson is IMO

I just love Harts game on the next level...I love high IQ players on the next level..

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That potential is definitely in there. That's his high end. But Anderson also came into the league 2 years younger than him. I think that matters quite a bit.

Oh yeah, I don't think he'll have the career production Anderson has had, but I meant his overall game looks very, very similar. The way he can be used can be much in that Anderson type role. What he'll need to do is work on his rebounding and his defense to carve out a solid role for himself.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, I don't think he'll have the career production Anderson has had, but I meant his overall game looks very, very similar. The way he can be used can be much in that Anderson type role. What he'll need to do is work on his rebounding and his defense to carve out a solid role for himself.

Yeah, Peters was a better rebounder than I expected, especially for a guy who relies a lot on the perimeter for offense.

He's very intruiging to me.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Q what a nice job. This guy really caught my interest. I still dream on a rodman like player who can also play the high post some.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Q what a nice job. This guy really caught my interest. I still dream on a rodman like player who can also play the high post some.

Appreciate it man.

I was the local NBA draft guru on the old KFFL board. This was always one of my favorite posts to write before the draft.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2018 Version:

You can see my intro and then my track record with last year. I'm not awful at finding some decent players in round 2.

The Condors

Justin Jackson, F, Maryland: This dude is 6-7 and has a 7-3 wingspan. And while his shooting is down this year, he was playing injured (labrum). His FT shooting improved dramatically to over 80% His career 73% FT and 38.5% 3pt rate show there is some serious talent there. Combine those with Turgeon's abysmal track record of getting the most out of pro talent (starting with Gal Mekel, DeAndre Jordan, Middleton, and Donald Sloan). This is a guy I think will outplay quite a few of his first round counterparts.

Shake Milton, G/F SMU: Despite playing out of position at PG, Milton ended with an almost 2:1 asst to turnover ratio. He's not the best athlete for a wing, but at 6-6 with a 7-1 wingspan he's got some room to give and still get away with it. Milton is a spot up shooter, but he's pretty good at it, and his FT% backs it up. He's got just enough length and playmaking paired with his shooting to be a useful piece.

The Grizzled Vet(s)
Jevon Carter, PG, West Virginia: If Carter had a few more inches of wingspan he'd be an easy first round pick. While not a freak athlete he's good enough. He's one of the best defenders in the entire draft, and has plus shooting both form 3 and at the line. I think some of his inefficiencies will be negated by not being the only guy on his team who can consistently create.

Devon Hall, SG, Virginia: He's been a plus defender since he stepped on campus and has added shooting. He's a guy who isn't' going to be a star but I think he'll have an actual nba career as a guy off the bench.

The Sharpshooter
Gary Trent Jr., SG, Duke: Trent is simple. He's got a reasonable 6-9 wingspan and is one of the best shooters in the draft. I expect him to be able to blossom away from the other all americans hogging the ball. I think he can do a little bit more passing and defensively. His rebounding for a guard is promising as well. But his lack of elite athleticism is why he's on this list and not a lottery mock draft.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2018 Version:

You can see my intro and then my track record with last year. I'm not awful at finding some decent players in round 2.

The Condors

Justin Jackson, F, Maryland: This dude is 6-7 and has a 7-3 wingspan. And while his shooting is down this year, he was playing injured (labrum). His FT shooting improved dramatically to over 80% His career 73% FT and 38.5% 3pt rate show there is some serious talent there. Combine those with Turgeon's abysmal track record of getting the most out of pro talent (starting with Gal Mekel, DeAndre Jordan, Middleton, and Donald Sloan). This is a guy I think will outplay quite a few of his first round counterparts.

Shake Milton, G/F SMU: Despite playing out of position at PG, Milton ended with an almost 2:1 asst to turnover ratio. He's not the best athlete for a wing, but at 6-6 with a 7-1 wingspan he's got some room to give and still get away with it. Milton is a spot up shooter, but he's pretty good at it, and his FT% backs it up. He's got just enough length and playmaking paired with his shooting to be a useful piece.

The Grizzled Vet(s)
Jevon Carter, PG, West Virginia: If Carter had a few more inches of wingspan he'd be an easy first round pick. While not a freak athlete he's good enough. He's one of the best defenders in the entire draft, and has plus shooting both form 3 and at the line. I think some of his inefficiencies will be negated by not being the only guy on his team who can consistently create.

Devon Hall, SG, Virginia: He's been a plus defender since he stepped on campus and has added shooting. He's a guy who isn't' going to be a star but I think he'll have an actual nba career as a guy off the bench.

The Sharpshooter
Gary Trent Jr., SG, Duke: Trent is simple. He's got a reasonable 6-9 wingspan and is one of the best shooters in the draft. I expect him to be able to blossom away from the other all americans hogging the ball. I think he can do a little bit more passing and defensively. His rebounding for a guard is promising as well. But his lack of elite athleticism is why he's on this list and not a lottery mock draft.

With you on Trent. I think a lot of those Duke freshmen will end up doing better in the NBA than they did at Duke. They just never really fit together for some reason.

I also sorta like Jalen Brunson. I don't think he's a star but I could see him having a 10 year Derrick Fisher type career where he's good in spots and finds himself in winning situations

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey guys, just tagging the people who have been active in the nba draft thread. Curious who everyone else has for their 2nd round guys.

I am going to go back through it all again tonight. I just have a feeling the Celtics are buying a second rounder. I am predicting a large PG who is very good defensively and they will take the time to build his shooting

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am going to go back through it all again tonight. I just have a feeling the Celtics are buying a second rounder. I am predicting a large PG who is very good defensively and they will take the time to build his shooting

Soooooooo....still Melton in round then?

:lol::pound:

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@LogicMan
@Mecca
@shopson67
@CitySushi
@Bolts
@flyerhawk
@bksballer89
@tlance
@Raw_Bee808

Hey guys, just tagging the people who have been active in the nba draft thread. Curious who everyone else has for their 2nd round guys.

Just going off of guys who I think will be 2nd round picks a couple guys stand out to me:

1) Shake Milton. Combo guard who I think has a really good skill set that will transfer well to the NBA. Could eventually be a nice backup guard.

2) Melvin Frazier. Long rangy athlete. Offensive game is a bit raw, but there's tons of defensive upside for him. He can probably guard 1-3, and maybe even small 4 at times.

3) Isaac Bonga. Still a ways a way from being a productive NBA player, but his measurable's are great. If developed right I think Lamar Odom is his ceiling. He's one of the highest upside guys in this draft, but also one of the biggest bust potentials. Definitely worth a flier though in the 2nd round.

4) Justin Jackson. Looks like he could be another one of those hybrid 3/4's in the league. I like his perimeter skills and think with some discipline could become a really nice 3 and D player.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frazier’s shooting is a major ? For me and bonga is supposedly a well below average athlete. I’m curious if he’s revolutionary or just another Cedric Bozeman.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frazier’s shooting is a major ? For me and bonga is supposedly a well below average athlete. I’m curious if he’s revolutionary or just another Cedric Bozeman.

I see Frazier in the mold of a Trevor Ariza. Ariza had a horrible shot coming out of college and worked his way up to a really respectable one. Ariza was never an explosive athlete but he used his body well which is what I could see Frazier doing. His length really will help him on defense.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Frazier in the mold of a Trevor Ariza. Ariza had a horrible shot coming out of college and worked his way up to a really respectable one. Ariza was never an explosive athlete but he used his body well which is what I could see Frazier doing. His length really will help him on defense.

I get it. I went with an Ariza like guy with Jackson.

he's a bit longer and a better shooting profile.

Plus there's the Turgeon effect. lol

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jevon Carter reminds me a little of Marcus Smart, won't be a go to scorer but will get at the opponents defensively and can hit some shots.

I also like Jalen Brunson, can be a solid backup PG or possibly starting PG in the right situation.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jevon Carter reminds me a little of Marcus Smart, won't be a go to scorer but will get at the opponents defensively and can hit some shots.

I was thinking Beverley, but similar idea. Carter actually shot pretty well from 3 and the line for the past two seasons, but dipped from 2 this past year.