• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB's and the passes they throw

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quarterbacks and the passes they throw

Someone from another site linked this article within a thread. I thought the information from it hit home on some of the discussion going on about WVU's QB and the accuracy issues he faces.

Of interest from the charts… Geno threw most of his passes less than 0 yds… over 70% of them less than 10 yds.

Geno had a great completion rate on the deep ball… the pass covering over 40 yds. He was not so good on the intermediate throws.

As I noted in another thread, the past couple of years have shown Dana moving away from the short throws… the throws behind the line of scrimmage. There are more vertical seams.

Having Stedman Bailey on the outside to catch the deep vertical pass certainly helped Geno's numbers. That kid was amazing!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stedman's junior highlights.

Fun to watch. Look how he reacts to the pass. He puts himself in position to make the catch. He has great hands, and runs great routes. He moves to the spot on the field where the ball is supposed to go.

This is something our young receivers are inconsistent with.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quarterbacks and the passes they throw

Someone from another site linked this article within a thread. I thought the information from it hit home on some of the discussion going on about WVU's QB and the accuracy issues he faces.

Of interest from the charts… Geno threw most of his passes less than 0 yds… over 70% of them less than 10 yds.

Geno had a great completion rate on the deep ball… the pass covering over 40 yds. He was not so good on the intermediate throws.

As I noted in another thread, the past couple of years have shown Dana moving away from the short throws… the throws behind the line of scrimmage. There are more vertical seams.

Having Stedman Bailey on the outside to catch the deep vertical pass certainly helped Geno's numbers. That kid was amazing!

This is the point I was trying to make...doesn't matter what coverage a defense plays...you have to have someone or a couple of receivers that can take the top off a defense..Bailey, Austin and Alford could do that...so the only thing a QB should have to read is safety coverage which is not that hard...its right in front of him in between the numbers... you want a vertical offense..you throw enough balls out into the boundary..those are the ones that come back pick 6 sooner or later..

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stedman's junior highlights.

Fun to watch. Look how he reacts to the pass. He puts himself in position to make the catch. He has great hands, and runs great routes. He moves to the spot on the field where the ball is supposed to go.

This is something our young receivers are inconsistent with.

The highlights also feed into what I have been saying is the problem with Howard...watch those highlights again..Geno always put the ball in a position to lead Bailey with the ball.outside of a back shoulder throw Bailey always caught the ball out in front of him with his hands and YAC was huge!!..Howard throws to hit guys on the numbers...he has too much speed at this disposal not to try and lead his receivers a lot more..he is leaving points on the field....

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll have to see if I can find video from the BU game where Skyler passed to K. White for a first down. The ball looks like it was thrown behind White. But, the pass was thrown to the spot where White was supposed to be... the hashmark.

Stedman was wonderful at running routes. That is why it looked like Geno hit him perfectly. As you know, the ball is released well before the receiver breaks out of his cut. Geno is throwing to a spot.

That is why Dana has not been throwing Skyler completely under the bus. Skyler certainly has issues... but, so do his receivers.

The other thing to grasp from watching the video was seeing how Stedman fought for the ball. Something our young WR's are still struggling with.