• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Prime Jordan vs Prime Kobe

LUNCHBOX

LOGIC
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something else to remember when debating MJ's greatenss vs guys currently in the league is that current rules greatly favor defenders as opposed to how the league used to oerate. For the first 11 years of MJ's career the average PPG for an NBA team was over 106. Since the 1996 season we have only recently seen teams even break the 100 ppg barrier as an aggregate and from 95-96 til 0708 it NEVER happened ( league average was slightly over 94 PPG ). Not saying MJ couldnt have flourished in a more defender friendly league as he was also a great defender but he most certainly wouldnt have put up the offensive number he did playing in the mid 80's- the mid 90's. Just food for thought.

I just wanted to point out ....that you have absolutley no idea what you are talking about.....

During the GOATS days, you could body slam a guy and it was just called a playoff foul...there was also hand checking, and defense reigned so much back then, that even a team devoid of much offensive talent ( my Knicks ) could at least compete ....no one plays defense these days .....

As for Kobe or Jordan not making anyone better....lol

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wanted to point out ....that you have absolutley no idea what you are talking about.....

During the GOATS days, you could body slam a guy and it was just called a playoff foul...there was also hand checking, and defense reigned so much back then, that even a team devoid of much offensive talent ( my Knicks ) could at least compete ....no one plays defense these days .....

As for Kobe or Jordan not making anyone better....lol

I agree to a point re: the type of defense that was allowed back then as compared to today. However, the way offense was played changed dramatically as well in the '90's. The NBA didn't change defensive rules from the 80's to the 90's, yet scoring dropped dramatically.

In the 80's it was a more free flowing, up and down type of game that was based on player and ball movement. The Bad Boys Pistons teams took the physical type defense that teams like the Celtics were known for in the 80's and put it on steroids. That slowed the game some. However, when MJ started his run, offenses became more about spreading the floor and using iso's, this slowed the game even more.

Now, the NBA has made rules that don't allow nearly as much contact as in the past, but offenses are also moving back towards the way the game was played in the 80's. Hence, we are seeing scoring increase. It's not that teams aren't playing defense, it's that defensive rules and offensive systems are changing.

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe really is like MJ-lite. He almost perfected MJ's biggest weakness....his willingness to settle for long 2's from the perimeter.

MJ separated himself from Kobe in his ability to take the ball to the hole (not saying Kobe was bad at it...just not Jordan) and breakdown defenses both for his teammates and in the ability to get to the free throw line (at a time when it was a lot harder to draw a foul).

One hell of a career by Kobe though. There isn't another player in league history that I would want on my team taking a long contested 2 for the win and that includes Jordan.

It would be so interesting to see both these guys and what they would become if they were 18 right now and being taught to take more 3's and less long 2's and how they would develop in the more modern game.

Pat Riley said if a game depended on a last second shot he would want Bird to take it. If his life depended on it, Jordan...

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate the Lakers and believe Jordan was superior too. But, 10 times better?

GTFOH...lol...Run, Reggie...Run!

During his weekly appearance on the Dan Patrick Show, Reggie Miller ended the Jordan vs. Kobe debate – in his own mind.

When asked about Kobe Bryant passing Michael Jordan for third place on the all-time scoring list earlier this week, Miller said, “Michael Jordan on his worst day is 10 times better than Kobe Bryant on his best day. That’s not short-changing Kobe at at all, because he handed me my lunch pail, too, but I will take that Black Cat (Jordan) all day, any day over Kobe.”

Bryant owns the edge on career points, but Jordan has more scoring titles (10-2), NBA titles (6-5), NBA MVP awards (5-1) and Finals MVP awards (6-2). Also, at the end of this season, Jordan will have played four fewer seasons.

Reggie Miller: Michael Jordan is 10 times better than Kobe Bryant | NBA | Sporting News

You did see that Jordan's rookie numbers were equal to Kobe's MVP season numbers right?