• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

preseason

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree when it comes to our top 2 lines, but I think there are prospects more talented than the scrubs on the back 2 lines and the 3rd defensive paring. IDK, I think politics are at play here, gotta play the guys that get paid the most. That's what I hate most about preseason hockey right now. Kind of exciting being a Lightning fan tho, you guys get to watch some young guys who not only can showcase their talents in preseason, but also have a chance at being major parts of the team.
really look at are high priced dead talent brewer and malone we still have a few! I'm hoping they have bounce back seasons this year!

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a really talented bunch, some guys who deserve to make the team aren't going to make it because there are only a limited amount of spots. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Drouin doesn't make this team, the likes of Kucherov and Brown have played well during camp and preseason, there likely to miss out although Kucherov was expecting to miss out as he could use some time in the AHL.

I could be wrong but this is the team I see playing Boston:

Malone-Stamkos-Marty
Killorn-Filppula-Purcell
Palat-Johnson-Connolly
Labrie-Thompson-Crombeen

Hedman-Salo
Carle-Gudas
Brewer-Aulie

Bishop

Healthy scratches: Panik, Pyatt, Barberio

I can see Cooper fielding a very physical team to match up with Boston hence why Labrie is in there, after that I see our team looking like this:

Malone-Stamkos-Marty
Killorn-Filppula-Purcell
Connolly-Johnson-Panik
Palat-Thompson-Crombeen

Pyatt-Labrie

Hedman-Salo
Carle-Gudas
Brewer-Aulie

Barberio

Bishop
Lindback

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is though I think it should be a priority of the Bolts to keep Palat-Johnson-Panik together, they played together in Syracuse and have been doing so in preseason, they have great chemistry and splitting them up could be a mistake. Keeping them together kinda alters the roster as Killorn or Connolly would be playing and a 4th line role and their skillsets don't suit that role although Killorn can play that role he has to be in the top 6 and playing 4th line isn't Connolly's game. So i'm starting to think J.T Brown will get the call who played that shutdown, gritty 4th line role last year along with Angelidis and Wyman in Syracuse. It would be tough to see Connolly in the AHL especially considering the preseason he's had but considering Malone-Stamkos-Marty, Killorn-Filppula-Purcell and Palat-Johnson-Panik have all consistently played together through the preseason that makes me think that the 4th Line LW is the only position left up for grabs and Connolly style of play isn't 4th line material where as J.T Brown's is. So this is how I can see our team looking:

Malone-Stamkos-Marty
Killorn-Filppula-Purcell
Palat-Johnson-Panik
Brown-Thompson-Crombeen

Pyatt-Labrie

Hedman-Salo
Carle-Gudas
Aulie-Brewer

Barberio

Bishop
Lindback

Bolt Fore

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Connolly will have a place on the team when Malone gets hurt or demoted. Or there may be a trade in the works.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bolt Fore

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trade is Malone. Connoly and Lindback to Nashville for Pekka Rinne !

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Connolly will have a place on the team when Malone gets hurt or demoted. Or there may be a trade in the works.

I could be wrong but I don't think Connolly will make it and that's harsh because of the preseason he's hard but there are no spaces, that's no knock on him. I think the top 6 is set and I think you keep that Palat-Johnson-Panik line together as your 3rd line, that leaves the 4th Line LW spot open and Connolly isn't a 4th line player. I know the Bolts have looked to move Malone so that could well happen probably later rather than sooner but think Connolly's going to have to gut it out but what a perfect guy to call-up if somebody goes down.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drouin will get a 9 game crack at the nhl first before they send him back to juniors. Connolly I know we have all said lets trade him for a few years now but I'm saying no way now Connolly, Drouin and Stamkos are the next big 3 here in tampa I think. These are how I think the lines will start out on Thursday night. Panik and palat will start off in the minors but when malone gets hurt and Drouin is sent back to juniors then both will get the call up.

Killorn-Stamkos-Marty
Drouin-Filppula-Purcell
Malone-Johnson- Connolly
Labrie-Thompson-Crombeen

Pyatt-Tyrell

Hedman-Salo
Carle-Gudas
Aulie-Brewer

Barberio

Bishop
Lindback

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wait for Rinne oh yes oh yes I would

I wouldn't do that trade for several reasons. First all let's add yet another horrible long term contract. Secondly we have 2 young promising goalies, the defense failed us last year. Just look at Bishop's stats for example in 12 starts for Ottawa he had a .922 SV% and 2.45 G.A.A and in 9 starts for Tampa he had a .917 SV% and a 2.99 G.A.A. No doubt Rinne is one of the best goalies in the league but even he and the likes of Jonathan Quick would struggle with a defense likes our especially to their defense that lineup in front night in and night out. Thirdly your getting rid of the 2nd most talented forward in our farm system in Brett Connolly, so essentially you are losing your future # 1 RW to play alongside of Stamkos and Drouin. Connolly is going nowhere, in my opinion both he and Drouin are untouchable prospects at this point. Lastly with adding Rinne what happens to Vasilevski considering the type of quality of goalie he will be in a couple years time? I just think there's no need to add Rinne especially at the cost suggest because Brett Connolly will be a star is the league somebody the Bolts should consider as "untouchable".

Bolt Fore

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danny you keep saying how good Connolly is and then you say there is no room for him on the team. If he's good enough they'll make room.

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danny you keep saying how good Connolly is and then you say there is no room for him on the team. If he's good enough they'll make room.

He should make room for him in my opinion, he's been our best preseason performer and he deserves a spot. From what I've seen Cooper has consistently played Malone-Stamkos-Marty together, Killorn-Filppula-Purcell together and Palat-Johnson-Panik together the leaves one spot unless Cooper feels the need to mix the lines around and perhaps open some more spots but if he keeps the lines together that leaves 1 spot of on the 4th line and the guys in contention for that spot would be Connolly, Drouin, Brown as well as others. My point Drouin and Connolly are top 6 players who shouldn't be assigned bottom 6 roles, especially not on the 4th line as their skillets don't represent the style of play needed in that role. J.T Brown played in this role last year for the Crunch and he was very impressive in doing so, sound defensively, grit, speed, energy he was a very sound performer in all aspects. He understands that role and he plays well in that role, his style of play suits that role unlike Connolly and Drouin. Again this can all change if Cooper wants to mix his lines up but based off his lines that was consistently used throughout the preseason, it wouldn't make sense to play Connolly or Drouin in a role that a not suited for and grown accustom to be performer in.

Last edited by a moderator:

dannyb24195

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lightning Announce Roster Cuts - Tampa Bay Lightning - News

Not surprised by Drouin and Connolly being reassigned however I am surprised by the fact they have 8 defenseman on the roster, personally I would prefer to have J.T Brown rather than Sustr but with carrying 8 defenseman I think this indicates the bolts will play 7 D on a more consistent basis under Cooper.

This will most likely be the team that faces Boston:

Malone-Stamkos-Marty
Killorn-Filppula-Purcell
Palat-Johnson-Panik
Labrie-Thompson-Crombeen

Hedman-Salo
Carle-Gudas
Aulie-Brewer

Bishop

Bolt Fore

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow I'm surprised Connolly will be sent down. He's probably wondering what he has to do to earn a spot. Drouin figured to be sent down but he can't come back this year. I don't mind seeing Sustr staying at least for now, he's a big boy.

Bolt Fore

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steve's draft picks

Sometimes you wonder what they're thinking as they pass on Seth Jones an NHL ready D-man which they need badly and draft Drouin that they don't need this year. I won't even mention Connolly drafted in 2011.

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow I'm surprised Connolly will be sent down. He's probably wondering what he has to do to earn a spot. Drouin figured to be sent down but he can't come back this year. I don't mind seeing Sustr staying at least for now, he's a big boy.
My gut feeling is that connolly will be back with the lightning at some point this year. Not really surprised with drouin going back to juniors. We have many ready nhl forwards in killorn, Panik, Palat and Johnson ready for the NHL.

Bolt Fore

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I just did. Sorry Brett. Only three trades we ever got the best of, Fedotenko, Dan Boyle and

Todd1a

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes you wonder what they're thinking as they pass on Seth Jones an NHL ready D-man which they need badly and draft Drouin that they don't need this year. I won't even mention Connolly drafted in 2011.
The lightning took the best player on there draft board at # 3 they had Drouin rated higher then Jones. When you try to draft for needs that really can hurt you as you will pass up on good talent.