• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 3 @ Washington State ( Leach v. Petrino : Dawn of Just Ass)

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hot damn, The Battle of the Palouse is back. Hard to believe it's been three years since the Vandals marched into Martin Stadium during Paul Petrino's first year and walked out with a 42-0 ass kicking. Not many players remain from that year's squad, but I'm sure the few who had the misfortune of being on the field during that game remember it well. I'm also sure they remember the classic meeting between Petrino and Leach at midfield after the game.

LEACH-F-U.gif

Paul : "Good game sir. I'm going to go home and clean my house with one of those fancy electric sucking mechanisms....what do you call them again?"
Mike: "Vacuums"

These guys are obviously real close pals. How could they not be when they live on the same street in Pullman. Gotta love the University of Idaho. Only school where the head football coach lives in another state and the President lives 300 miles away.

Anyway, a lot has changed since that fateful day in 2013. For WSU there have been highs and lows. Last year's bowl win was the first for the Cougs in a decade. Of course the success lead to a bunch of preseason hype. Unfortunately WSU is currently 0-2 after losing to an FCS team in their home opener for the second year in a row and later narrowly getting edged out in Chuck Staben's favorite city.

Don't fret though Coug fans. Nothing cures a losing streak like playing Idaho. The Vandals come into this one after a blowout loss to 8th ranked Washington. Last week's game was a disaster from the start for Idaho after they went down 7-0 16 seconds into the game. The defense hung with the Huskies for the first quarter and the offense actually moved the ball fairly well until untimely turnovers did them in. One or two questionable fourth down calls created great field position for UW in the second quarter which lead to an explosion of points and a deficit that Idaho just couldn't overcome.

On the plus side for that game, Linehan looked decent. There were some major questions about his accuracy after the MSU game but he appears to have fixed most of his issues. Defensively the Vandals actually showed some life, they just didn't have the depth or talent to hang with a top 10 squad. Overall I liked what I saw in this one more than that mess in the first game against MSU. My only worry is Linehan's health after he took a big shot late in the game and never returned. Likely he was going to come out anyway, but given his history I can't help but wonder if he didn't tweak something there.

Getting back on track though, there really is quite a lot to say about the WSU match up. Current Idaho defensive coordinator Mike Breske was actually the D-coordinator for the Cougars in 2013, so he'll definitely be familiar with Leach's coaching style and offense. Of course Leach is also very familiar with Breske. Each will know what the other wants to do. Unfortunately for Idaho WSU will come into this one with the better athletes, and that's something Leach is going to exploit.

Breske has to know this though, and I'm sure he's looked over the WSU-EWU tape plenty. In that game the Eagles did a great job of keeping the Cougar WRs in front of them. They didn't give up many big plays, they tackled well, and they bent about as far as possible without breaking. Sure, WSU got their points. But EWU limited them enough to steal the victory. Look for the Vandals to attempt to do the same, but expect it to be largely unsuccessful. Ultimately Idaho is going to have to force some turnovers to keep themselves in the game here.

In my mind though the offensive side of the ball is really where Idaho can do some damage in this one. Scoring a lot of points won't be as important as staying on the field. Give the Vandal defense time to rest and keep the high scoring WSU Offense on the sideline. Sustaining long drives by spreading the ball around and keeping the defense off balance with the running game will be the game plan. Idaho has yet to really get it's screen game going with Callen Hightower and in my opinion has not taken advantage of the mismatches that can be caused by having Deon Watson and Buck Cowan on the field at the same time. I'm expecting to see them open things up a bit more this week. There really is a lot of talent in that receiving corps to exploit if Linehan has a decent pocket to throw in and plays to the level he is capable of.

Prediction: WSU has to be frustrated after losing two games they could have easily won. Leach isn't going to forget the incident with Petrino in 2013 and will be looking to run the score up in this one. Luke Falk is extremely capable in this offense and I'm not sure Idaho has anybody that will be able to hang with Gabe Marks all game. As I already mentioned, the talent and depth advantage WSU has is going to really make the difference here.

Idaho keeps it respectable in the first quarter, loses a bit of ground in the second, and the wheels fall off in the early third quarter. Barring WSU shooting themselves in the foot multiple times this is a clear blowout. Cougs cover.

WSU 62
Idaho 20

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early on it's not looking terrible. Still, by the time this is over I won't be surprised if the Cougs football team puts up a point total close to what their basketball team will put up in the basketball version of the Battle of the Palouse.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have the wheels fallen off yet?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why the Vandals didn't go for it on 4th down inside the 5 in the 3rd qtr... FG's aren't going to get them back into this game.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another TD... 35-6

Wheels have officially come off.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah this really was over when they blocked that FG. Too much of a momentum swing there. The Vandals just can't seem to find any consistency. Dropped passes here, over throws there, and of course a bunch of other dumb mistakes.

As I'm typing this, fumble turns into a WSU TD. Great.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Linehan looked wildly inaccurate & inconsistent today. Outside of 2 drives, he struggled to get anything going. Offense was stuck in the mud all day.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Linehan looked wildly inaccurate & inconsistent today. Outside of 2 drives, he struggled to get anything going. Offense was stuck in the mud all day.

Sure did, and when he was accurate the WRs weren't catching the ball. The defense actually did look competent and improved though. They've just been put in a lot of bad situations the last few games with the offense and special teams turning the ball over and leaving the opposing offense with a short field.

If this team could get everything to gel at the same time they'd be decent but it's just not happening.

Next week is a real test against UNLV. They're at least much closer to the talent level at Idaho but right now it's looking like another loss.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always have to read these threads every week, very entertaining.

Definitely a challenging year for Idaho, with having to play the 2 Washington schools and the Sun Belt looks to be very improved.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Definitely a challenging year for Idaho, with having to play the 2 Washington schools and the Sun Belt looks to be very improved.

Definitely. Most teams seem to have a solid OOC performance so far. Idaho's one of the few that doesn't. Also they're playing like shit so it's going to take some major improvements if they want to even get to .500 in conference.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely. Most teams seem to have a solid OOC performance so far. Idaho's one of the few that doesn't. Also they're playing like shit so it's going to take some major improvements if they want to even get to .500 in conference.

Yes just about everyone in the Sun Belt has a performance to hang their hat on.

Perhaps the most bizarre is South Alabama a team that I thought would be the worst in the Sun Belt, beat Mississippi State in their opener but is now 0-2 in Sun Belt play.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes just about everyone in the Sun Belt has a performance to hang their hat on.

Perhaps the most bizarre is South Alabama a team that I thought would be the worst in the Sun Belt, beat Mississippi State in their opener but is now 0-2 in Sun Belt play.

I also had them dead last finishing at 2-10. Right now it looks like that win was just a case of a blind rat finding the cheese. Arkansas State is also a bit odd. Had them as a top team this year but they've been beat down in all three contests so far.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also had them dead last finishing at 2-10. Right now it looks like that win was just a case of a blind rat finding the cheese. Arkansas State is also a bit odd. Had them as a top team this year but they've been beat down in all three contests so far.

Arkansas State definitely is another stunner. I didn't think much of it the first two weeks as Toledo was legitimately a top 25 team last year and beat them by a similar score, and Auburn had a talent advantage. Utah State hadn't looked great so far so them dominating Arkansas State was a surprise, I did expect an 0-3 start for Arkansas State so we'll find out if they're really in trouble this week.

South Alabama we will have to see on, The Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana-Lafayette has the potential to return to being a conference title contender, and the other loss was to Georgia Southern who should be a Sun Belt contender but... Their offense seemingly has dropped off, failing to score more than 24 the past two games, not utilizing their backs as well, and those backs aren't averaging as many yards per carry as they did last year.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now they have to run into the buzzsaw that is UNLV!!

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now they have to run into the buzzsaw that is UNLV!!

I really hope both of you and Cave_Johnson are on for a game thread during this game later

You two sarcastic fuckers commenting on the same game would have me rolling with laughter

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope both of you and Cave_Johnson are on for a game thread during this game later

You two sarcastic fuckers commenting on the same game would have me rolling with laughter
Game is streaming live on Twitter. Should be easy to find.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im going to the game tonight, but mostly because my niece is performing at half time

Nice, should be a fun one. Well, for you at least. We'll see how long it takes for this game to raise my blood alcohol content above the legal limit.