• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Power Rankings and AP Pro32

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad only NFL.com has the 49ers at #1, that will help Harbaugh keep the underdog thing going.

I don't want to rant too much about Power Rankings, but they've always struck me as disingenuous because so many of the authors vote with two things in mind.
  • To provoke discussion and flat out cause arguments and angry fan posts
  • Sticking to their guns about what they said initially, for example, if the Packers lose Thursday night they still won't fall out of the top 10 because all of these writers don't want to admit they were wrong about GB. They do have glaring weaknesses, instead of being the invincible team they wrote about.

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad only NFL.com has the 49ers at #1, that will help Harbaugh keep the underdog thing going.

I don't want to rant too much about Power Rankings, but they've always struck me as disingenuous because so many of the authors vote with two things in mind.
  • To provoke discussion and flat out cause arguments and angry fan posts
  • Sticking to their guns about what they said initially, for example, if the Packers lose Thursday night they still won't fall out of the top 10 because all of these writers don't want to admit they were wrong about GB. They do have glaring weaknesses, instead of being the invincible team they wrote about.

If the Packers lose Thursday which is probable, playing on short rest after having to face a good 49ers team, while the Bears got to basically rest everyone going against the Colts, the Packers should only go down 2 or 3 rankings, they are still a top 10 teams even if they start the season 0-2.

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My top 5 would be.

1. 9ers
2. Texans
3. Ravens
4. Patriots
5. Cowboys

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Packers lose Thursday which is probable, playing on short rest after having to face a good 49ers team, while the Bears got to basically rest everyone going against the Colts, the Packers should only go down 2 or 3 rankings, they are still a top 10 teams even if they start the season 0-2.

My point is only that they'd be an 0-2 team. This is the "2012" Power Rankings so losers shouldn't be rewarded for what we think they are or who their opponents are... there will be plenty of time to bump them back up to #1 after they beat the 0-3 Seahawks.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think that beating what most people considered the top team in the league (including myself) would be enough to pump us up to number 1 considering we were so high already. Maybe if we beat the Pats we will start to get some more credit. All though I'm sure some idiots would still rank the Pats over us even if we do beat them.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
flacco said he was the best qb in the league? wtf?

on a side note, the bears kinda scare me

Yeah i think that's kind of crazy too. Maybe he's hoping it works out for him like it worked out for Eli when he said was a top 5 QB.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah i think that's kind of crazy too. Maybe he's hoping it works out for him like it worked out for Eli when he said was a top 5 QB.

Early in the season last year a journalist had asked Eli if he considered himself to be an "elite qb". Eli responded by saying yes, and the media ridiculed him for it. That same week he had made that comment (answering the question being asked of him), he singlehandedly beat the mighty Tom Brady and the Patriots. After that game, Eli's confidence and play on the field went to a next level.

I bringing this up to prove a point that maybe Joe Flacco might have finnaly arrived to the point where he is now considered himself a potent QB in the league similar to how Eli had his epiphany. He may indeed end up being in the top 5 in terms of passing efficiency this year. Not agreeing with him but I'm just saying...he could have similar result as Eli.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early in the season last year a journalist had asked Eli if he considered himself to be an "elite qb". Eli responded by saying yes, and the media ridiculed him for it. That same week he had made that comment (answering the question being asked of him), he singlehandedly beat the mighty Tom Brady and the Patriots. After that game, Eli's confidence and play on the field went to a next level.

I bringing this up to prove a point that maybe Joe Flacco might have finnaly arrived to the point where he is now considered himself a potent QB in the league similar to how Eli had his epiphany. He may indeed end up being in the top 5 in terms of passing efficiency this year. Not agreeing with him but I'm just saying...he could have similar result as Eli.

Good points. Some guys just work better with higher expectations of themselves. I have Flacco just outside my top 10 QB's, but he could very easily work his way up if he continues to play like he did last night.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how the Patriots move up higher than us. They beat a bad team, regardless of where they played. We beat last week's #1. In their own house. And if it weren't for a punt return for a TD, that game was never even close.

But Brady has won SB's. Whoopty-Damn-Do.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ya well eli is a member of the lucky sperm club. flacco musta took a hard hit in practice from ray lewis.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Bears scare me too, but with Chilo Rachal they have a big weakness that can be exploited by the 49ers front seven. As often as he frustrated us by letting guys go by uncontested, hopefully he returns the favor and gives the 49ers like 8 sacks against Cutler

I should add, a big weakness that the 49ers coaching staff knows all about first hand

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe Manning should have said the best QB instead of elite or top 5. Think about it, he'd be better than Rodgers, Brady, and Brees! Poor planning by Eli, he should have gone for the top, now Flacco's going to be there instead.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Pompei was the only one to give a first place vote to a team other than the Texans and his choice was the Cardinals.