• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Potential playoff you'd least like to see

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did people think that a 4 team playoff was going to give you completely different teams, year in and year out.

Of course the same teams will be there most of the time.
Live with it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except go undefeated with lesser talent and beat teams that Bama couldn't.

If you think it was BS TCU was in the top 4 practically all season long, that's fine. You are in the minority.

Alabama went 10-3 in 2010, and yet they would have won another national championship if people like you would have gotten there way.

You see, in 2010 Alabama probably played the toughest schedule in college football. And on top of that, half the entire SEC took a bye week before playing us that year.

But the big deal was - we had a ton of injuries that year and didn't get healthy again until bowl season - and then they were insanely good as Michigan St found out in the bowl game. Alabama then went on to win back to back national championships.

TCU on the other hand played the 100th toughest schedule out of like 124 teams at the time. It's funny how when you never play tough teams you don't have the injuries others get - or how they get now that they play in a real conference. TCU has been on a steady decline since having to play tougher competition.

Last year, Alabama played FSU and lost multiple linebackers for the season in that win. FSU lost their returning QB for the year. Meanwhile, teams like TCU that year and UCF this year play nothing but cupcakes, don't deal with the injuries, being beat up or any of that shit they would get on a real schedule.

Furthermore - those teams were propped up at that time just because people wanted to cause problems in the BCS. People were very open and vocal about it.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh... thank you. I didn't realize that. And since I have never in my life seen an underdog win, we shouldn't expand the playoff system. Hell, we don't even need to play the game anymore. We can get the preseason poll from the AP and simply declare whoever they vote #1 as the national champ that year.

That is why you play the game numb nuts. That is why the 07 Boise/OU game is considered great, it wasn't some form of outstanding football that you never see, it was a cinderella story where no one thought that they had a chance. This reeks of worry as if Bama were to lose to a good G5 school would implode your mind. Just so you know, it wouldn't be the first time.

I love how you are quick to cite a tougher schedule for power 5 schools, but refuse to acknowledge that most of these G5 schools have lesser talent than P5 schools and yet often times still play P5 opponents. This is why it is typically more impressive for G5 teams to go undefeated. SOS is a pretty unstable metric. A preseason SOS ranking is BS as no one has played and thus no one knows how tough any of the teams are. I mean hell, S+P has BYU listed as the 29th toughest schedule this year. The only teams of note that they have played are Wisconsin and Washington (both teams that have underperformed this year) and the only team they have of note remaining is currently #23 Utah.

Next.

So there is no good reason to have an 8 team system? None, you can't think of ANY value that would bring? None? Don't confuse or conflat my statements. I have been advocating for an 8 team playoff system. I merely asked SteelerPride for his reason of why it's bogus when the FCS can do even more. I do think a 16 team system would be the most fan friendly system (which does matter!!), but 8 team would satisfy the overall consensus in my opinion. So you not only think there is no value brought it, but that it essentially devalues the regular season?

I can agree that there are too many bowl games.

LMAO. That's funny. Read up? I assume you are saying this because you are "read up" (LMAO), but yet through this whole post, you provided ZERO substance to refute a playoff expansion. You're a bum. You provided the EXACT SAME dipshit argument that was already refuted...' well it isn't basketball' so what you moron. Suddenly for the playoff system to go beyond 4 teams it means it suddenly becomes basketball. Have you ever debated in your life? You sir, are an idiot. Or 'what is the #24 team really going to do?'... they are like any other team, they will do what they can. Have you ever seen an upset in college football? I rest my case, again, your statements are the digital expression of dumbassery coming through on my computer.

Well what do I have to do to be worth the time to have a REAL explanation because yours are nonsensical, logically flawed drivel.

My god, you whine like a liberal snowflake. For starters, as I have said repeatedly, your arguments are literally dumb, flawed, and lack ANY substance that could be taken as a form of credible information. Based on that... are you sure you are not some dipshit liberal, what's next, wanna tell me the gender pay gap is real? 2, you reach on a 'participation trophy' statement, while completely whiffing on YOUR OWN LOGIC. You are the one that is afraid to play teams or afraid to lose to them. You want a system set up to ensure that doesn't happen. You want a system that sets up to maximize your teams potential at winning a championship... more games doesn't do that. You want these things, because you know that expanding the playoff will make it harder for Bama, nevermind the fact that you always complain about other people complaining about Bamas scheduling... I am not contending that any one gets any kind of trophy, hell I am not advocating for a 24 team playoff, but you sir are the living embodiment of participation trophy.

image589-300x244.png

TL;DR

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I take it that your opinion is to go back to the BCS days and continue doing things in that manner?

I suggest that because your logic is flawed if you still want the playoff system, because you can LITERALLY say what you just did about ANY kind of playoff system.

MjAxMi1kMTdhZjlkN2JhNzNiYTZk.png

4 is the perfect number.

When we had the BCS, there were multiple times when 3 teams had a claim on the national championship. Auburn, OKSt - etc. The playoff was a direct response/answer to that problem.

There is no reason to expand beyond 4 because it's never been more than 3 teams that had claims EVER. We already give a free hand out with the 4th spot, simply because we have to fill it in.

You are a solution trying to create a problem where none exists.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, this year. I am not talking about them now. I am simply pointing out this double standard that now exists. TCU and Boise were regularly ranked high... high enough to be included in a playoff spot nowadays, yet in todays college football world, a G5 team can hardly seem to break into the top 10 even though they have done more than Boise or TCU did in their time.
Have they?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These debates are useless . Half the people here want the playoff expanded because they realize it's completely possible as 5/6/7/8 seed could win a title and the other half thinks they don't deserve a shot because "they didn't earn it".

So far in 4 years of the playoff we've seen the 2 seed win 2 titles and the 4 seed win 2 titles. What we haven't seen is the 1 seed win one

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to see two SEC teams this year. If both were undefeated in the SEC Championship game, I could live with it, but if we have two SEC teams this year, I'll be very disappointed.

I would HATE to see this playoff setup: (I think all these teams still have a decent playoff chance)

Notre Dame
Georgia
Ohio State
Texas

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LSU, ND, Mich & Texas

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's hear em. Which legit playoff contenders would you least like to see in the playoff ?

For me it's
Bama
Clemson
OSU
Oklahoma

I don't care if a few of them make it but don't want to see all 4. Need some new blood
For me it's Ohio State by far. I very much want Georgia in it and I very much don't want Ohio State in it. Everything else in-between is just slight preferences for me.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LSU, ND, Mich & Texas

That would be pretty unprecedented if 4 never before playoff teams all made it in the same year. I don't think I could survive an ND/Michigan title game.

Gatorchip

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,015.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good lineup:
Michigan
Florida
Texas
UCF

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be pretty unprecedented if 4 never before playoff teams all made it in the same year. I don't think I could survive an ND/Michigan title game.
It would be brutal. But Michigan has only played Texas once and never played LSU. From that standpoint, it would be pretty damn interesting. How we haven't met LSU in a bowl is beyond me with as many SEC/B10 bowls as we have. We always get god damn florida and blow them out.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama went 10-3 in 2010, and yet they would have won another national championship if people like you would have gotten there way.

You see, in 2010 Alabama probably played the toughest schedule in college football. And on top of that, half the entire SEC took a bye week before playing us that year.

But the big deal was - we had a ton of injuries that year and didn't get healthy again until bowl season - and then they were insanely good as Michigan St found out in the bowl game. Alabama then went on to win back to back national championships.

TCU on the other hand played the 100th toughest schedule out of like 124 teams at the time. It's funny how when you never play tough teams you don't have the injuries others get - or how they get now that they play in a real conference. TCU has been on a steady decline since having to play tougher competition.

Last year, Alabama played FSU and lost multiple linebackers for the season in that win. FSU lost their returning QB for the year. Meanwhile, teams like TCU that year and UCF this year play nothing but cupcakes, don't deal with the injuries, being beat up or any of that shit they would get on a real schedule.

Furthermore - those teams were propped up at that time just because people wanted to cause problems in the BCS. People were very open and vocal about it.

1. I wasn't comparing them to 2010 Bama.

2. I already refuted your injury argument.

3. TCU did have a drop off... but it wasn't anything that you would expect from having SUCH a huge strength of scheduling difference... hell in 2014 and 2015 they finished top 5 and top 10 respectively. Hence, the injury argument doesn't hold water.

4.Comparing Bama/FSU is a cherry picking fallacy. For every game you can throw out there of injuries occurring and they HAPPEN to be strong programs... I can throw out a game where a powerul program plays a weak maybe even FCS program and no injuries occurr. Again, the injury argument doesn't hold water.

5. Propped up to cause problems? Granted the AP and other polls were used in junction with various computers to essentially form the BCS. The BCS experts repeatedly stated how it mostly relied on actual metrics that it compared throughout the whole FBS. So, this argument doesn't hold water either.

And since it has been a few days since I have been on here, allow me to reaffirm my position. I would like to see an 8 team playoff and I do NOT think that considering teams like UCF for that is unreasonable. With all of that said, I am not claiming that UCF should have been in the playoff last year, nor am I saying that they should be top 5 this year. But I find it practically insulting that everyone was cool with teams like Boise St and TCU being ranked in the top 4 week in and week out in the BCS era, when UCF did better last year for example than TCU did in 2010 (when TCU finished #2 in the country). I don't understand and would like someone to explain to me in their opinion at least why ranking teams has suddenly changed and G5 teams now have an incredibly hard time coming even close to being a top 5 team.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 is the perfect number.

When we had the BCS, there were multiple times when 3 teams had a claim on the national championship. Auburn, OKSt - etc. The playoff was a direct response/answer to that problem.

There is no reason to expand beyond 4 because it's never been more than 3 teams that had claims EVER. We already give a free hand out with the 4th spot, simply because we have to fill it in.

On the contrary, I am not saying there is any real problem. My hopes for an expansion stem purely from a fan perspective. I like football and cinderella stories... thus I want more games and games that matter that include qualified candidates.

Your statement that having 4 is basically dumb, because there have never been more than 3 teams necessary has already been debunked by rmilia1. The point of the playoff system, and every expert and analyst would say the same is..... to find the best team in the country. In the VERY FIRST playoff the FBS had... the #4 team won the whole thing. So basic facts refute your own argument. Who knows what would have happened had there been 4 more teams.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am not relating this to you specifically 4down, but I never understood this TL;DR. I understand that it stands for too long, didn't read... but I never understood the point. Like you are on a website that requires you to read. How lazy are people that they will put themselves in situations like this only to avoid the purpose it is here for in the first place.

Idk, maybe I'm the weird one lol.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. I wasn't comparing them to 2010 Bama.

2. I already refuted your injury argument.

3. TCU did have a drop off... but it wasn't anything that you would expect from having SUCH a huge strength of scheduling difference... hell in 2014 and 2015 they finished top 5 and top 10 respectively. Hence, the injury argument doesn't hold water.

4.Comparing Bama/FSU is a cherry picking fallacy. For every game you can throw out there of injuries occurring and they HAPPEN to be strong programs... I can throw out a game where a powerul program plays a weak maybe even FCS program and no injuries occurr. Again, the injury argument doesn't hold water.

5. Propped up to cause problems? Granted the AP and other polls were used in junction with various computers to essentially form the BCS. The BCS experts repeatedly stated how it mostly relied on actual metrics that it compared throughout the whole FBS. So, this argument doesn't hold water either.

And since it has been a few days since I have been on here, allow me to reaffirm my position. I would like to see an 8 team playoff and I do NOT think that considering teams like UCF for that is unreasonable. With all of that said, I am not claiming that UCF should have been in the playoff last year, nor am I saying that they should be top 5 this year. But I find it practically insulting that everyone was cool with teams like Boise St and TCU being ranked in the top 4 week in and week out in the BCS era, when UCF did better last year for example than TCU did in 2010 (when TCU finished #2 in the country). I don't understand and would like someone to explain to me in their opinion at least why ranking teams has suddenly changed and G5 teams now have an incredibly hard time coming even close to being a top 5 team.

TL;DR

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not relating this to you specifically 4down, but I never understood this TL;DR. I understand that it stands for too long, didn't read... but I never understood the point. Like you are on a website that requires you to read. How lazy are people that they will put themselves in situations like this only to avoid the purpose it is here for in the first place.

Idk, maybe I'm the weird one lol.

It generally happens because your first sentence is ignorant and the entire reason I post on forums is so that I can skip over and choose who/what I read.

For example, I just did it again because your first 2 sentences just showed you didn't understand a damn thing I said, so why the fuck should I spend any time reading further?

When I brought up 2010 Alabama - it's because you would have put them in the playoffs, and they didn't really deserve it. And they would have been your "Cinderella" story, 3 loss team, but they aren't really Cinderella. Yet for some reason your response is some shit about comparing them to Alabama, which I have no fucking idea how you get there.

So yeah, TL;DR. If you want to say stupid shit, better shorten it up.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 is the perfect number.

4 is a good number. I guess I’d be ok
With the 5 P5 champs and 1 wildcard making it 6 total but that would be it for my liking