• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Poll: Where Will/Would Alex Smith go if he becomes a free agent?

Where Will/Would Alex Smith go if he becomes a free agent?

• Kansas City Chiefs

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Arizona Cardinals

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Cleveland Browns

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Jacksonville Jaguars

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Philadelphia Eagles

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • New York Jets

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Oakland Raiders

• Minnesota Vikings

• Buffalo Bills

• Tennessee Titans

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Cleveland might have the easiest time selling Alex Smith to their fans...

There is no debate, Alex Smith can't win without very good offensive coaching. Cleveland can easily point out that Smith has had success two times in his NFL career, under Harbaugh and under Norv. Then go on to say that Norv didn't do too bad with a 2nd year guy, so imagine what Norv can do with the polished product that Harbaugh is sending over.

Only problem with Smith going to Cleveland, is that old ginger...haha

Weeden is only in 2nd year and they vested a 1st rounder in him, so that would be interesting if they got Smith too.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Weeden is only in 2nd year and they vested a 1st rounder in him, so that would be interesting if they got Smith too.

Cleveland Browns won't yet commit to Brandon Weeden as starter - ESPN

What do the Browns Know about Brandon Weeden - Won't Commit

He might prevent a trade, but maybe not a FA signing? Because if they gave a first rounder to Weeden and say a 3/4/5th for Smith, that'd be too much. It would be too much to give anything if Smith is getting cut. Unless they think someone else will sign Alex or that Alex's contract is better than what they could get in negotiations. Or, of course, if they truly cut bait with the idea of Weeden starting (they will still keep him on the roster). If we traded Alex Smith for Weeden, we'd have a backup of the same age with less NFL experience, bigger arm, and lower salary. But we could just assume go with Tolzien as the second string. That's certainly what Tolzien wants, I'm sure (starting is out of the question without injury).

Last edited by a moderator:

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, the best part about Smith is that nobody is dropping 60 million to get him. A Kevin Kolb he is not... in the sense that you basically have to force him into the starting lineup to justify the blockbuster trade and 60 million contract.

But, I guess we'll see... just my opinion that Smith won't inspire some crazy bidding war

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the best part about Smith is that nobody is dropping 60 million to get him. A Kevin Kolb he is not... in the sense that you basically have to force him into the starting lineup to justify the blockbuster trade and 60 million contract.

But, I guess we'll see... just my opinion that Smith won't inspire some crazy bidding war

That's the truth, but bad for us. If he were to have a bidding war after the release, that could have created a bidding war for a trade. In case GMs are reading this, take it back! Say that Alex is an Elite QB replaced by an even more Elite QB, and will be very expensive if he ever gets out of here as a FA!!! ;)

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odd how Smith was ousted after 1 start by a 2nd year QB.

6-2 and coming off an over time loss last year in the NFCC, isn't holding the team back..

Stay on topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about it, the more likely Minnesota is. They've got a great defense, and a great running game, with some average receiving targets. They're financially stable, and Smith would have a shot to compete with Ponder (even if it's competition in "name" only).

Hearing him talk about the 9ers after the NFCC, I don't know that he'd want to play against those guys twice a year by going to Arizona. He doesn't seem to be driven by spite.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see him go to Kansas City, because of Andy Reid being there and its a pretty good organization. Jacksonville would be somewhere else I wouldn't mind, because I like their young WR's, MJD,and their line is decent. The organization and fan support aren't great there though at the moment.

I don't want to see him go to the Jets, because their offense is terrible and they have quite a few lame ducks in the organization at the moment. The media scrutiny is also horrific there.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see him go to Kansas City, because of Andy Reid being there and its a pretty good organization. Jacksonville would be somewhere else I wouldn't mind, because I like their young WR's, MJD,and their line is decent. The organization and fan support aren't great there though at the moment.

I don't want to see him go to the Jets, because their offense is terrible and they have quite a few lame ducks in the organization at the moment. The media scrutiny is also horrific there.

As a FA, I'd bet my life that he goes anywhere or retires before going to the Jets. He's too smart to get involved in that debacle.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a FA, I'd bet my life that he goes anywhere or retires before going to the Jets. He's too smart to get involved in that debacle.

Agreed. It's safe to say you won't have to go Bushido code on yourself.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland Browns won't yet commit to Brandon Weeden as starter - ESPN

What do the Browns Know about Brandon Weeden - Won't Commit

He might prevent a trade, but maybe not a FA signing? Because if they gave a first rounder to Weeden and say a 3/4/5th for Smith, that'd be too much. It would be too much to give anything if Smith is getting cut. Unless they think someone else will sign Alex or that Alex's contract is better than what they could get in negotiations. Or, of course, if they truly cut bait with the idea of Weeden starting (they will still keep him on the roster). If we traded Alex Smith for Weeden, we'd have a backup of the same age with less NFL experience, bigger arm, and lower salary. But we could just assume go with Tolzien as the second string. That's certainly what Tolzien wants, I'm sure (starting is out of the question without injury).

I have heard they arent sure about Weeden at starting QB yet. But I have heard from somewhere when Norv came in he was backing Weeden and liked his big arm and his potential.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard they arent sure about Weeden at starting QB yet. But I have heard from somewhere when Norv came in he was backing Weeden and liked his big arm and his potential.

Ironically, Smith is younger than Weeden, and has vastly more experience. However, playing in that cold/wind, I don't think Smith will succeed SIMPLY because of his velocity. Many QB's have failed in that circumstance with bigger arms than Smith.

The Browns should bring back Kosar. That would be the shit.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Cleveland might have the easiest time selling Alex Smith to their fans...

There is no debate, Alex Smith can't win without very good offensive coaching. Cleveland can easily point out that Smith has had success two times in his NFL career, under Harbaugh and under Norv. Then go on to say that Norv didn't do too bad with a 2nd year guy, so imagine what Norv can do with the polished product that Harbaugh is sending over.

I thought Cleveland once Norv went there, and even though I thought the Browns would never do anything, I was ok with that option - until they got Lombardi as their personnel person. Not that beggars can be choosers, but I would stay away from the Browns as long as he's there. The second Alex takes foot there, they will be trying to replace him. Despite Baalke's statement on the future, I believe that Trent gave Smith a chance; for some reason, I don't trust Lombardi.

Now, obviously it's Smith's responsibility to stop them by playing well, but I feel he has a better shot of doing that elsewhere, like in Kansas City, and will be given more of a fair shot - I am not saying that he didn't have a fair shot here, so don't jump on me for that. It's just a vibe I got from Lombardi that tells me that, maybe it was the way he reacted to us not hiring him coupled with what he's said about Smith before, that I just believe he has that personality. Baalke had a good balance, I think. I think he knew what Alex's strengths and weaknesses and tried his best with his coach, I feel Lombardi would be too closed-minded. I don't see him handling the transition from 2010 to 2013 as well as Baalke did.

Maybe Lombardi will take into account what's happened here and try to reproduce that for Smith. Maybe he's adjusted his belief in Smith a bit when he sees how a great coaching staff did it with Smith. Cleveland does have Norv and if Horton is the reason for Arizona's relative success in defense, that could work to some degree. Alex did ha great YAC-filled game against Horton's defense.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Alex in another uniform will be like Jeff Garcia all over again. Send him to 'Zona!

Ties5o11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland, Buffalo, and Minnesota are all staying with their QB next year, no question. The Jets might be looking to make a move, as is Kansas City and Jacksonville. I think those are the three most likely teams. With Barkley coming out, and the possiblity of Flynn and maybe even Cousins on the market, the trade value for Alex will be down as there are only 3 or 4 teams "desperate" for a QB, but I full expect Alex to go to a bottom of the barrel AFC team that is looking to regroup.

Since I like Alex and will root for him no matter what, I think I am rooting for him to go to KC. A good running team with a defense that can play (when they have an offense that can hold on to the ball), and sneak into the playoffs in a weak AFC. I think he can build with Kansas City and Reid is a perfect systems coach.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With KC's recent QB debacles, I'm not sure bringing in Smith as the starter would be the best decision for management. Didn't their fanbase cheer when Cassell went down with a head injury?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With KC's recent QB debacles, I'm not sure bringing in Smith as the starter would be the best decision for management. Didn't their fanbase cheer when Cassell went down with a head injury?

The problem with Cassel was that he wasn't scoring TDs and was turning the ball over. I think the second part was the reason for the boos and cheers for injury. Alex's similarity was that he didn't get a lot of yards and wouldn't take the risks, which in turn wasn't a lot of turning the ball over. If Reid's system is a turn-the-ball-over system, then I could see that, but if it's not, I think Alex can prevent the boos by not turning it over. It would come down to whether Reid could stand Alex not taking the risks and checking down. There's also a chance that Smith will take more risks learning from his experience here that protecting the ball still got him benched. Yes, a lot of that was the running ability of Kaep and the strong arm, but to say it wasn't also Smith, would be inaccurate.

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All very possible destinations...Although Cleveland is developing Weeden and he has shown potential..As for KC, Jax, Oak, and Buf very possible.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Not to mention that Alex and Cassel are probably pretty similar when it comes down to it......Cassel was another guy who was able to produce in a smart system, and crumbled when things crumbled around him. Its possible Cassel has been broken by his struggles past few years - so maybe a newly-confident Smith will be an upgrade.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention that Alex and Cassel are probably pretty similar when it comes down to it......Cassel was another guy who was able to produce in a smart system, and crumbled when things crumbled around him. Its possible Cassel has been broken by his struggles past few years - so maybe a newly-confident Smith will be an upgrade.

The start will be important. If he starts well, he won't "break" like Cassell. If it gets off to a rocky start, it's more risky. I think Smith is the same or better than Cassel but I know I'm biased and haven't seen Cassel that much. I should like Cassel because he went to USC, but he didn't play there, so I don't know him well. Smith has been in a better situation for the last two years and KC is now in a better position than the last two years now that they have Reid. So if Smith goes there and succeeds, I won't be blind to what Cassel had to go through.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with Cassel was that he wasn't scoring TDs and was turning the ball over. I think the second part was the reason for the boos and cheers for injury. Alex's similarity was that he didn't get a lot of yards and wouldn't take the risks, which in turn wasn't a lot of turning the ball over. If Reid's system is a turn-the-ball-over system, then I could see that, but if it's not, I think Alex can prevent the boos by not turning it over. It would come down to whether Reid could stand Alex not taking the risks and checking down. There's also a chance that Smith will take more risks learning from his experience here that protecting the ball still got him benched. Yes, a lot of that was the running ability of Kaep and the strong arm, but to say it wasn't also Smith, would be inaccurate.

I agree with that.

I just don't see this relationship working out. I can't put my finger on it, but I don't see Smith going to KC. I could very easily be wrong, but I don't see it happening.