• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Poll: Where Will/Would Alex Smith go if he becomes a free agent?

Where Will/Would Alex Smith go if he becomes a free agent?

• Kansas City Chiefs

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Arizona Cardinals

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Cleveland Browns

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Jacksonville Jaguars

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Philadelphia Eagles

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • New York Jets

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Oakland Raiders

• Minnesota Vikings

• Buffalo Bills

• Tennessee Titans

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention that Alex and Cassel are probably pretty similar when it comes down to it......Cassel was another guy who was able to produce in a smart system, and crumbled when things crumbled around him. Its possible Cassel has been broken by his struggles past few years - so maybe a newly-confident Smith will be an upgrade.

I wonder if the cheers for his injury weren't directed at the FO. He was given a substantial contract for a guy with no college starts, and playing with an offense that had just recorded the most points and yards the previous season.

Smith is easily an upgrade there, but I still can't see this panning out.

Again, I could easily be wrong, but I just don't see Smith as a Chief next year.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still say KC even though I don't know that he's a great fit for Reid.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with that.

I just don't see this relationship working out. I can't put my finger on it, but I don't see Smith going to KC. I could very easily be wrong, but I don't see it happening.

I don't think there's that much of a connection between "would they trade for him because they think he'll succeed?" and "would he succeed?" It's all about what the teams think will happen and what they think will fit in their system. It's thus their confidence, not ours. It depends on whether the draft pick needed is low enough and the contract flexible enough (essentially a one-year contract with a team option for a second) to take the chance. Also, is Reid a gambler? (That could apply to Alex or a guy in the draft.)

I have heard how Reid is good with QBs like Alex and Alex is more mobile and experienced than Foles. Vick, as talented as he was, might have played a different style than what Reid is comfortable with and thus the turnovers were too concerning. But I've also heard people say that his system isn't something he'd think would fit him. Not sure if this was football based, as in actual systems comparing, or just distrust in Smith. It is possible to be a systems QB for a system but just not good enough in it.

The Chiefs will most likely be trying to shop their 1st overall pick and depending on how low and how many picks they get, some people say he might draft someone like Geno Smith. Not sure if that's because of Vick or because of Reid's actual history with picking QBs. If Alex is traded, it'll most likely be before March 14 and the draft is April 25-27th. So Alex won't get a choice, unless the Niners get similar offers and SF is accommodating; still the timing is not his choice. If he's cut before March 14th, he gets 2 million. But if he's cut after March 14th, he gets 1 million and he's a FA - does he wait until after the draft to sign? I could see him wanting to know who he's competing with for the next few years. Geno Smith? I think Alex goes elsewhere. But if it's a third or fourth rounder, maybe he signs.

But I may be reading too much into it. I know Smith is competitive despite his public look. I also know that Smith is still confident in his abilities, despite being replaced by someone more skilled and younger. I just think that he won't want a situation where he could be playing well and replaced, again. If he plays poorly, then all bets are out the door regardless of where he goes. Ultimately, he doesn't have all the leverage in the world, but his agent will be considering long-term, too.

Last edited by a moderator: