• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL} The Best Overall Hitter In The Past 30 Years ?......

Your pick ..

• Ken Giffey Jr.

• Jim Thome

• Frank Thomas

• Albert Pujuis

• Manny Ramirez

• Miguel Cabrera

• David Ortiz

• Chipper Jones

• Some Cheating POS

• Tater Salad

Results are only viewable after voting.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we're gonna talk strictly hitting, gotta add Gehrig, Hornsby, Mantle, Musial, and Foxx before we get to Mays or Aaron in my opinion.

They are just slightly below, but they are all top 10 to 15 all time.
I love Musial. I could do a long post on how perfectly his stats match regardless of whether the pitcher was left handed, right handed, a power pitcher, an off speed pitcher, on the road, at home, none of it mattered, he hit at an amazingly consistent rate.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@BallsOfFurry: The funny thing is, you CAN make an argument for Aaron being the better hitter. You've simply failed to do so. Aaron the better hitter, Mays the better overall offensive player, Mays the better overall player. I don't have much of a problem with that stance, and could even be convinced of its merit. But, you've twisted yourself so much that it's too easy to call you out on it.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He used to be my favorite player. I've got a palm tree named after him.

Is it a skinny well kept palm tree? (Indians)

Or all scraggly looking, like it smells of Bigfoots dick? (RedSox/Dodgers/wherever it was in Asia/Oceana)

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it a skinny well kept palm tree? (Indians)

Or all scraggly looking, like it smells of Bigfoots dick? (RedSox/Dodgers/wherever it was in Asia/Oceana)

I guess Indians. It's in a 24" pot, so it isn't very big.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that it's the be-all-end-all, but interesting to look at:

Adjusted OPS+ Career Leaders

Fuckin' crazy to see Trout in at #7. Kid hasn't even hit his "prime years" yet. Dios mio, if he improves...

Sad state of affairs there.....Trout needs to be playing in a time zone where the baseball watching world gets to appreciate his greatness, and he really needs to escape playing his prime years on a last place team

I know the Angels need to sell tickets, but do you think they would be wise to trade Trout for just an insane package of high end prospects, and start rebuilding that organization?

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that it's the be-all-end-all, but interesting to look at:

Adjusted OPS+ Career Leaders

Fuckin' crazy to see Trout in at #7. Kid hasn't even hit his "prime years" yet. Dios mio, if he improves...

Stop the press, I agree.
Trout has a chance to be among the best ever. His WAR ratings are insane.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad state of affairs there.....Trout needs to be playing in a time zone where the baseball watching world gets to appreciate his greatness, and he really needs to escape playing his prime years on a last place team

I know the Angels need to sell tickets, but do you think they would be wise to trade Trout for just an insane package of high end prospects, and start rebuilding that organization?

The good thing about baseball is you can watch all of his at bats on YouTube.
The kid has a beautiful swing.
Word is he has no bad habits, that is a good sign.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@BallsOfFurry: The funny thing is, you CAN make an argument for Aaron being the better hitter. You've simply failed to do so. Aaron the better hitter, Mays the better overall offensive player, Mays the better overall player. I don't have much of a problem with that stance, and could even be convinced of its merit. But, you've twisted yourself so much that it's too easy to call you out on it.

I made a very complete case for Aaron.
What would you add to it ?
If you can't look at both seasonal and career stats and judge, it's your shortcoming.

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as pure hitters, Tony Gwynn. He never hit for much power, but with a .429 average against the great Greg Maddux, that makes a very strong case.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? Finishing in last place every season WITH Trout makes them feel better somehow?
When has trading a great young player ever been a good idea?

You build around a player, there's no reason to deal him. The Angels don't mind he's on the West Coast. Get a DVR maign.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure the Angels have won as many division titles as they have finished in last since he got there. I could be wrong.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When has trading a great young player ever been a good idea?

You build around a player, there's no reason to deal him. The Angels don't mind he's on the West Coast. Get a DVR maign.

I watched the Yankees rebuild their entire farm system on the strength of trading 2 relief pitchers...Went from like 18 or 19th ranked to 1 or 2

Cant imagine what trading Trout can bring back.....

I believe in the idea of building around a guy like that, but looking at their farm system and whats in place right now, an aggressive estimate when the Angels will be ready to contend again, Trout should be about 32 years old