• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Playing with house money

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since nobody expects the world champions to repeat, it hasn't been done in ten years, the Seahawks have been playing with house money. Now it is getting a bit surreal. Can you imagine?

cowboys64219

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won't happen so don't worry about it

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won't happen so don't worry about it
I've seen 2 of your 9 posts and neither are in any way informative or analytical. Just baseless claims.

Prove you're not a troll

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys arent going anywhere, romo is due for a choke job.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen 2 of your 9 posts and neither are in any way informative or analytical. Just baseless claims.

Prove you're not a troll

I've seen more than that and every single one has been about the Seahawks. Which is pretty much par for the course for Cowboys fans on this site.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Cowboys fans might do well to focus on the Lions game before talking about any other game or any other team's chances. Dallas is the only team in the playoffs this year for whom home-field is not necessarily an advantage and they're going up against the best run defense in the league on top of that, potentially nullifying the strength of their offense. If it comes down to each team's passing offense vs. each team's passing defense, I think the Lions have the edge in both categories.

droider

Human NFL Almanac and College Football Insider
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since nobody expects the world champions to repeat, it hasn't been done in ten years, the Seahawks have been playing with house money. Now it is getting a bit surreal. Can you imagine?

I don't believe in the concept of house money in a situation like this (or when it comes to gambling), but that's a different discussion.

What I know is that we have a 1st round bye and then will likely face the winner of Arizona/Carolina. If we were to lose that game, it would go down as an epic disaster, especially considering how fragile each of those teams would be coming in.

So that takes us to the NFC Championship game, likely hosting either Dallas or Green Bay. We split against these teams already, so we'll either have to beat one of them for the 1st time or the other one for a 2nd time. Homefield gives us better than a 50% of advancing in this scenario, which is really all you can hope for in a situation like that.

So when you really look at it, we're a lot closer to being one of the true 'odds on favorites' to win it all (and having the pressure that comes along with it), rather than being some carefree upstart with nothing to lose.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I haven't heard anyone not picking the Seahawks to get to the SB. They're the Vegas favorite aren't they:noidea:

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is nothing "house money" about the #1 seed. Expectations are high as fuck. Carolina or Arizona? Those teams you couple say that about, but if Seattle loses at home, thats a big disappointment.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything short of an NFC Championship appearance is an epic failure.

Anything short of an NFC Championship is a massive failure.

Anything short of a World Championship is disappointing.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't expect them to win two in a row. Only because it has been so difficult to do. Now that they are the number one seed, I think about how incredible it would be if they actually did it, but I won't jump off a bridge if they don't. I am in the mode of just enjoying this season. And dreaming of what could actually happen in this potentially historic moment.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't expect them to win two in a row. Only because it has been so difficult to do. Now that they are the number one seed, I think about how incredible it would be if they actually did it, but I won't jump off a bridge if they don't. I am in the mode of just enjoying this season. And dreaming of what could actually happen in this potentially historic moment.

Well, it's ok to be a little leary, it is hard. The last team to win the Super Bowl and get the #1 seed the next year was the Packers, and they lost their Division round game to the Giants that year.

Though, the last time a #1 seed won the Super Bowl and then got #1 seed the next season was the Patriots, which was also the last time a team repeated as SB champs, so there's that, too.

droider

Human NFL Almanac and College Football Insider
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My view of it is that we need to seize the opportunity of becoming a dynasty, or at least a modern day version of one. Essentially, not being afraid of success.

Basically, treat these playoffs as a critical step towards achieving a greater ideology. Think BIG!

This means going out and playing aggressive, not just depend on our defense to create stops while we hope to string together 18 play, 8 min drives for a FG. Go out with the intention of dominating and putting away games early, that's what all successful dynasties have done.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Seahawks are set up nicely to repeat. Why not believe it will happen? They certainly have come thru thus far.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't view this as a house money situation. There is a difference between being a one win champion and a multi-win champion. We wound up with the best record in the league despite some serious mid-season issues. We have home field throughout.

I expect a Super Bowl appearance. That may not happen but I still expect it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Advanced playoff odds put the 'Hawks at just over a 25% chance to win it all, the highest of any team at this point.

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think house money went out the window when they got the #1 seed again.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My view of it is that we need to seize the opportunity of becoming a dynasty, or at least a modern day version of one. Essentially, not being afraid of success.

Basically, treat these playoffs as a critical step towards achieving a greater ideology. Think BIG!

This means going out and playing aggressive, not just depend on our defense to create stops while we hope to string together 18 play, 8 min drives for a FG. Go out with the intention of dominating and putting away games early, that's what all successful dynasties have done.

I disagree with that last part. Dynasties are built around defense and ball control, by being great for 60 minutes and let the other team make mistakes. A couple of them had explosive downfield threats like Rice or Irvin, but they played ball control first and foremost. Remember too that the niners didnt have Rice for their first 2 titles, and were very vanilla on offense, just like the Pats. Too much is put in to the idea of fast starts, when finishing is whats really important, and Seattle has closers all over the roster.