• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Players Opt Out of the 2020 Season

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cannon and Bolden are history. Without Scar to protect him Cannon was gone anyway. Bolden was nothing more than Special Teams and a 5th receiver.

It'll open two spots for a young player to show his stuff.

Hightower may benefit from a year off. Might be a bad career move for Vitale because only a few teams keep a fullback on their roster.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cannon and Bolden are history. Without Scar to protect him Cannon was gone anyway. Bolden was nothing more than Special Teams and a 5th receiver.

It'll open two spots for a young player to show his stuff.

Hightower may benefit from a year off. Might be a bad career move for Vitale because only a few teams keep a fullback on their roster.
Agree with everything.
Cannon was a turnstyle.
Thank God they can fill a roster spot for Bolden. Tired of him stealing air.
HT will be missed.
Yep, Vitale likely out of football.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any word on what other teams are facing?

Under the amended collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and NFL Players Association, agreed to on July 24, players have the choice to opt out of the 2020 NFL season due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

If a player wishes to opt out, he must provide his club with written notification within seven days of the date that the NFL and NFLPA finalize the agreement that includes the terms of such opt-outs.

To be designated a voluntary opt-out, a player must be under contract or subject to a tender. The player's contract will toll and all provisions of that contract for the tolled year will be applicable the following season; however, he will not receive an accrued season. The player will be eligible for a stipend of $150,000 to be treated as a salary advance against his tolled contract; an undrafted free agent, however, is not eligible for the stipend.

To be designated a higher-risk opt-out, a player must have a diagnosis reflected in their medical records of at least one of the following factors, which are based upon a modified list of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) risk factors list: cancer; chronic kidney disease; COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease); immunocompromised state from solid organ transplant; serious heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies; sickle cell disease; type 2 diabetes mellitus; asthma; cerebrovascular disease; cystic fibrosis; hypertension or high blood pressure; immunocompromised state from blood or bone marrow transplant, immune deficiencies, HIV, use of corticosteroids, or use of other immune weakening medicines; neurologic conditions, such as dementia; liver disease; or pulmonary fibrosis.

It is not mandatory for a "higher risk" player to opt out. A higher-risk opt-out will receive an accrued season toward free agency and all benefits and minimum salary credit for a credited season and is also eligible for a stipend of $350,000, which will not constitute a salary advance.

Here are the NFL players to opt out of the 2020 season so far:

VOLUNTARY OPT-OUTS
Baltimore Ravens: KR De'Anthony Thomas, OL Andre Smith

Buffalo Bills: DT Star Lotulelei

Dallas Cowboys: CB Maurice Canady, WR Stephen Guidry

Green Bay Packers: WR Devin Funchess

Houston Texans: DT Eddie Vanderdoes

Kansas City Chiefs: OL Laurent Duvernay-Tardif

New England Patriots: LB Dont'a Hightower, FB Dan Vitale, RB Brandon Bolden, OL Najee Toran

New Orleans Saints: TE Cole Wick

Seattle Seahawks: OL Chance Warmack

Tennessee Titans: OL Anthony McKinney

HIGHER RISK OPT-OUTS
Minnesota Vikings: DT Michael Pierce

New England Patriots: OL Marcus Cannon

Washington Football Team: DE Caleb Brantley

UNSPECIFIED OPT-OUTS
Carolina Panthers: UDFA LB Jordan Mack

Chicago Bears: DT Eddie Goldman

Denver Broncos: DT Kyle Peko

New England Patriots: S Patrick Chung

New York Jets: OL Leo Koloamatangi

Philadelphia Eagles: WR Marquise Goodwin

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Under the amended collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and NFL Players Association, agreed to on July 24, players have the choice to opt out of the 2020 NFL season due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

If a player wishes to opt out, he must provide his club with written notification within seven days of the date that the NFL and NFLPA finalize the agreement that includes the terms of such opt-outs.

To be designated a voluntary opt-out, a player must be under contract or subject to a tender. The player's contract will toll and all provisions of that contract for the tolled year will be applicable the following season; however, he will not receive an accrued season. The player will be eligible for a stipend of $150,000 to be treated as a salary advance against his tolled contract; an undrafted free agent, however, is not eligible for the stipend.

To be designated a higher-risk opt-out, a player must have a diagnosis reflected in their medical records of at least one of the following factors, which are based upon a modified list of the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) risk factors list: cancer; chronic kidney disease; COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease); immunocompromised state from solid organ transplant; serious heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies; sickle cell disease; type 2 diabetes mellitus; asthma; cerebrovascular disease; cystic fibrosis; hypertension or high blood pressure; immunocompromised state from blood or bone marrow transplant, immune deficiencies, HIV, use of corticosteroids, or use of other immune weakening medicines; neurologic conditions, such as dementia; liver disease; or pulmonary fibrosis.

It is not mandatory for a "higher risk" player to opt out. A higher-risk opt-out will receive an accrued season toward free agency and all benefits and minimum salary credit for a credited season and is also eligible for a stipend of $350,000, which will not constitute a salary advance.

Here are the NFL players to opt out of the 2020 season so far:

VOLUNTARY OPT-OUTS
Baltimore Ravens: KR De'Anthony Thomas, OL Andre Smith

Buffalo Bills: DT Star Lotulelei

Dallas Cowboys: CB Maurice Canady, WR Stephen Guidry

Green Bay Packers: WR Devin Funchess

Houston Texans: DT Eddie Vanderdoes

Kansas City Chiefs: OL Laurent Duvernay-Tardif

New England Patriots: LB Dont'a Hightower, FB Dan Vitale, RB Brandon Bolden, OL Najee Toran

New Orleans Saints: TE Cole Wick

Seattle Seahawks: OL Chance Warmack

Tennessee Titans: OL Anthony McKinney

HIGHER RISK OPT-OUTS
Minnesota Vikings: DT Michael Pierce

New England Patriots: OL Marcus Cannon

Washington Football Team: DE Caleb Brantley

UNSPECIFIED OPT-OUTS
Carolina Panthers: UDFA LB Jordan Mack

Chicago Bears: DT Eddie Goldman

Denver Broncos: DT Kyle Peko

New England Patriots: S Patrick Chung

New York Jets: OL Leo Koloamatangi

Philadelphia Eagles: WR Marquise Goodwin

So the Pats are down 6 Potentially, 5 starters if you count Bolden as a ST Starter, and two other teams have lost 2.

Upinthe North

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Pats are down 6 Potentially, 5 starters if you count Bolden as a ST Starter, and two other teams have lost 2.
It's going to be a strange season to watch. I hope it's not too brutal.

I am surprised at a couple players opting out, at least 2 make sense. The average American/Canadian still is expected to return to work and don't get $150,000 to stay home and be "safe." It makes me wonder how much these players actually enjoy playing football anymore? I'm also surprised they are not (the NFL) discussing housing players in a bubble away from their families and the public....if that is even possible with 32 teams?? :scratch:

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to be a strange season to watch. I hope it's not too brutal.

I am surprised at a couple players opting out, at least 2 make sense. The average American/Canadian still is expected to return to work and don't get $150,000 to stay home and be "safe." It makes me wonder how much these players actually enjoy playing football anymore? I'm also surprised they are not (the NFL) discussing housing players in a bubble away from their families and the public....if that is even possible with 32 teams?? :scratch:
For that amount of time the bubble would need to include families.

Upinthe North

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For that amount of time the bubble would need to include families.
I don't see it that way. It's only 4 months for half the teams and just over five months for the champs. Military overseas have been gone on tour longer than this time and the families have found other ways to connect. Doctors did this for four months during this pandemic.

I guess my perspective is these players are employed and have been hired to do a job. I understand why some may be scared or may not want to play. People all over North America feel this way, and yet most are expected to attend their job, if asked to do so, regardless of the pandemic, if they wish to keep their job. I think they made the opt-out too desirable.

If they are going this route, they may as well just delay or postpone the season until a vaccine has eradicated this virus.

Guess we just have to disagree on this one!:suds:

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see it that way. It's only 4 months for half the teams and just over five months for the champs. Military overseas have been gone on tour longer than this time and the families have found other ways to connect. Doctors did this for four months during this pandemic.

I guess my perspective is these players are employed and have been hired to do a job. I understand why some may be scared or may not want to play. People all over North America feel this way, and yet most are expected to attend their job, if asked to do so, regardless of the pandemic, if they wish to keep their job. I think they made the opt-out too desirable.

If they are going this route, they may as well just delay or postpone the season until a vaccine has eradicated this virus.

Some very good points. Especially when it comes to the military who risk their lives for a fraction of what these players get. Military members routinely miss all kinds of family events.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if offensive lineman or interior DL would be more high risk it is not normal to be 320 pounds I would imagine they could be targets

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Military members routinely miss all kinds of family events.

Good points.
Some soldiers/sailors/airmen are not there to see there child born, while others are not even there for the conception.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if offensive lineman or interior DL would be more high risk it is not normal to be 320 pounds I would imagine they could be targets

"High Risk" is having a pre-existing condition that could put the player at serious risk of possible death. "Low Risk" is having had a surgery and had one's immune system compromised for a short period but that player is recovered and able to do normal activities. With the low risk guys, not even a medical expert can determine if the immune system is 100% recovered.

I think the league could set up a "bubble" of sorts in Las Vegas. The MGM Grand has more than a 1000 rooms as does the Belllagio. Deal could be struck with several hotels to shut down the hotel to anyone outside the NFL. Four games could be played in the Raiders new stadium on Saturday and Sunday each weekend. That would 16 teams to be housed each week. The same could be done for eight teams in Charleston or Atlanta where the Virus is not extreme like California, Texas, New York, New Jersey or Florida. The time schedule would be easy, 8-11 am; 12-3 pm; 4-7 pm; 8-11 pm. No team could play in their home stadium. The teams could be rotated every four weeks until the playoffs and all playoff games would be played in Las Vegas. Given the money and resources available, I'm sure it could be done. The biggest problem is, "ME"

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are missing a fundamental difference. The military distancing is an absolute requirement for many reasons. Adding a few more individuals to a bubble would not alter dynamics much as long everyone plays by the rules (being tested and quarantined before entering and not being allowed out once in).

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"High Risk" is having a pre-existing condition that could put the player at serious risk of possible death. "Low Risk" is having had a surgery and had one's immune system compromised for a short period but that player is recovered and able to do normal activities. With the low risk guys, not even a medical expert can determine if the immune system is 100% recovered.

I think the league could set up a "bubble" of sorts in Las Vegas. The MGM Grand has more than a 1000 rooms as does the Belllagio. Deal could be struck with several hotels to shut down the hotel to anyone outside the NFL. Four games could be played in the Raiders new stadium on Saturday and Sunday each weekend. That would 16 teams to be housed each week. The same could be done for eight teams in Charleston or Atlanta where the Virus is not extreme like California, Texas, New York, New Jersey or Florida. The time schedule would be easy, 8-11 am; 12-3 pm; 4-7 pm; 8-11 pm. No team could play in their home stadium. The teams could be rotated every four weeks until the playoffs and all playoff games would be played in Las Vegas. Given the money and resources available, I'm sure it could be done. The biggest problem is, "ME"
I see no issue with a team playing in their home stadium since no spectators are there. Beyond that, this is how I could envision this working too. It could also be two games Friday and three each on Saturday and Sunday. A rotation could work that ensured a Sunday team did not play the following Friday (or rarely made that leap).

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The District Health Department cleared me to return to work without any restrictions. My work said I can return 8/3/20. All 3 weeks I’m gone will go to sick pay. Which is great!

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you shut down access to the hotel, who is going to pull the fire alarm at 2:00 AM?

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The District Health Department cleared me to return to work without any restrictions. My work said I can return 8/3/20. All 3 weeks I’m gone will go to sick pay. Which is great!
How long have you been sick? It seems like hours.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players who choose to opt out must do so by Tuesday August 4th.

What happens if Patrick Mahomes decides he wants to opt out on Thursday August 6th.??