• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Players in your team's history you think were overrated/over-appreciated by the fan base

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one was ever more overrated than Donovan McNabb.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Falcons:

Matt Ryan- Decent QB, not elite, and certainly not worth being one of the highest paid QBs ever
Julio Jones(really, really good, but not an all timer like the fanbase thinks)

Broncos:

Jay Cutler- When he was a Bronco, he was gonna be the next best thing at QB.
Demaryius Thomas- Good receiver, but had some serious butterfingers at times.
Brandon Marshall- Never been in a locker room where he wasn't a distraction

:dingdingding:

Not too sure about Denver,but with Chicago...………...Held hope for him for a few years until I realized,this guy just doesn't have it...……..
Hed give you just enough to think hey,hes on his way to being elite,then hed pull the rug right out from underneath you...…

Some of my fellow Bear brethren thought it was because we changed offensive coor too many times...……..yeah right.:rolleyes2:

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alshon Jeffery - The dude is a mediocre WR, incapable of being a #1, is NEVER completely healthy and had the worst target to catch ratio in football in 2017. Yet, since he caught a TD in the Super Bowl - last year there were people actually saying that we should have paid him 70 mil. Despite being in the midst of a rebuild. Ha... He will never sniff 1,000 yards again and only did as a #2 to Brandon Marshall. In an offense that also had Matt Forte and a prime Marty Bennett.

Historically? Mike Ditka was just a below average coach that struck fucking gold, rode Buddy's D to a title and then choked in every ensuing playoffs. No excuse that they didn't win another Super Bowl. They were the best team in football at least twice after. Especially in 86 when the D was even BETTER than 85. I know McMahon got cheap shotted by Charles Martin... blah blah blah... but still... fuck that.

Then he sucked a fat dick in New Orleans and was a complete joke. People just like his persona and don't look deep enough into the situation. They shouldn't thank Ditka for winning one. They should thank Buddy, Payton and the D... then blame Ditka for not winning #2.

I was in my 20s for that era,and still say that if McMahon didn't get cheap shotted and out for the season,wed been back and won the SB...……..Doug Flutie was the starting qb vs Washington...…….No way were we gonna win with him...……..And if anyone thought so,then Flutie would have been Mr.Overrated.
You take any team whos starting qb goes down,and you will be hard pressed to find your team winning the SB,yet let alone be in it...……….(Foles the exception.

I don't blame Ditka for that,I blame Charles martin...…...

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo, Ditka is a little overrated as a coach but by most fans is probably underrated as a football player. 4x first team all pro, 2x second team all pro is nothing to scoff at.

well in all fairness,ive never looked,but,how did that fare compared to other tes of that era...……..?

I mean te they may not of used tes like they did as of now...………

I really don't know,but thought maybe you know off hand where iron mike compared to the the guys of back then...…...

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, dude. He's a hall of fame and probably top 5 all-time TE. Helluva career and a big part of the 1963 NFL Champion team. John Mackie and him revolutionized the position. I will never slight him on that.

I'm not saying he hasn't been a contributor to the franchise. I was more speaking to his "legend" around Chicago as "Da Coach". You would seriously think this guy is superior to Parcells, Walsh or BB the way people lap his ass. You'd have to be a Chicagoan to fully appreciate it, I do suppose.

I liked him for his fiestyness,comments, along with all the other characters from that team and taking the Bears to their 1st SB...……..
comments as in telling a reporter'See this buddy,thisd is your iw" holding up a zeroracing thru the hallways of the metrodome on rollerskates after calling that stadium a skating rink...….shit like that for me...…...

but in no way do I ever believe he was better than of those you listed...……….At first maybe yes,but after going to NO and trading away his whole draft for RW was just head scratching...…...After that failure of a trade,I believe he just didn't care anymore about being a coach and wanted to live off what he actually was...…...kind of an assa nd probably didn't wanna admit he screwed up.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well in all fairness,ive never looked,but,how did that fare compared to other tes of that era...……..?

I mean te they may not of used tes like they did as of now...………

I really don't know,but thought maybe you know off hand where iron mike compared to the the guys of back then...…...
Well, the All Pro label is really the only thing younger people have to make the comparison.

Tony Gonzales 6x First Team, 4x Second Team
Mike Ditka 4x First Team, 2x Second Team
Shannon Sharpe 4x First Team, 1x Second Team
Antonio Gates 3x First Team, 2x Second Team
Kellen Winslow 3x First Team, 1x Second Team
Rob Gronkowski 4x First Team

Thats pretty much the list of great TEs unless I'm forgetting some people. Would I take Ditka over Gronk in today's NFL? No. But Ditka obviously dominated his time.

Last edited:

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the All Pro label is really the only thing younger people have to make the comparison.

Thats pretty much the list of great TEs unless I'm forgetting some people. Would I take Ditka over Gronk in today's NFL? No. But Ditka obviously dominated his time.

Well for comparement,id of compared him to the other guys from the 60s......I hate the comparement from the good ol`days to the present......But I`ll check it out...……..

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelvin Benjamin

Nah, I'm just kiddin' it's Cam

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was in my 20s for that era,and still say that if McMahon didn't get cheap shotted and out for the season,wed been back and won the SB...……..Doug Flutie was the starting qb vs Washington...…….No way were we gonna win with him...……..And if anyone thought so,then Flutie would have been Mr.Overrated.
You take any team whos starting qb goes down,and you will be hard pressed to find your team winning the SB,yet let alone be in it...……….(Foles the exception.

I don't blame Ditka for that,I blame Charles martin...…...

I agree that they probably win the Super Bowl without the cheap shot. However, Ditka wasn't responsible for winning the first Super Bowl... They could have won with about anyone coaching that offense. They surrendered 10 points defensively throughout the entire post-season. lol

Not to mention, with that 86 D? When you're an offensive minded coach? You still have to find a way.

So it all goes to my point that he was average to below average. Both units slowly declined after 85/86 when the D which Buddy built began to depart or age. He was just a subpar coach...

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that they probably win the Super Bowl without the cheap shot. However, Ditka wasn't responsible for winning the first Super Bowl... They could have won with about anyone coaching that offense. They surrendered 10 points defensively throughout the entire post-season. lol

Not to mention, with that 86 D? When you're an offensive minded coach? You still have to find a way.

So it all goes to my point that he was average to below average. Both units slowly declined after 85/86 when the D which Buddy built began to depart or age. He was just a subpar coach...

agreed with all of it,but when you don't have your starting qb,its damn hard to win anything...………

Thanks you jackass Martin...………..:mad2:

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well for comparement,id of compared him to the other guys from the 60s......I hate the comparement from the good ol`days to the present......But I`ll check it out...……..
Probably closest compared to John Mackey of that era. Those two really changed the tight end position into more of a passing threat and not just an extra blocker who caught the odd ball. For the most part, Ditka was the Bears passing game.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fridge Perry was definitely overrated and overappreciated.

And, I don't think mini-Ditka could have beat entire teams by himself like George Wendt thought.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shannon Sharpe 4x First Team, 1x Second Team

Ozzie Newsome & Russ Francis were no sloutches back in the day either.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Tebow. There are still some Bronco fans out there that think Elway made a huge mistake by trading Tebow and signing Manning. They always want to point to his one playoff victory as proof the kid was going to be something special but no one would give him a chance. There is a reason so many teams watched this kid for a second and knew he would never be a starting QB and never could even be a backup because you would have to have two different playbooks in the works.

Tebow had a completion percentage below 48%. It's amazing that so many people think he's being unfairly left out of the NFL.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaun Alexander for sure.

Seattle had the best left side (+ Center) in NFL history with Jones/Hutchinson/Tobeck, and the right side wasn't that bad either. Hasselbeck was okay to boot and their TEs were decent blockers. A 240 lb beer belly white man could've run for 4+ YPC behind that line.

Great post. I'll never forget that dude being on the cover of Madden like he was all that, only to promptly fall directly off a cliff and into the Grand Canyon of bottom dweller 3rd rate RB clowns the same year my Vikes stole Steve Hutchinson away from Seattle with that poison pill contract clause. Just another classic example of how underrated the importance of quality O-lineman is in the NFL, because you're right. Take any out of shape beer belly fat dude off a bar stool at some crappy local sports bar and have him run on that Seattle left side O-line, and they'd manage to put up average RB stats.

Don't get me wrong, some drop-off in production was to be expected after losing a guy like Hutchinson blocking for him on that line, but to go from close to a 2k yard season with 27 rushing TD's to sub-900 and 7 TD's, and never to have another decent season again? Lmao!

Last edited: