• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Players in your team's history you think were overrated/over-appreciated by the fan base

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard someone say this on the radio the other day and him and the Hall of Fame would've never crossed my mind in a milion years.

I don't really have a good answer for the OP. The Browns have been bad for so long it is hard to answer this question.
That was my thought. Can't think of any players - certainly not since the return - who are much worse than most fans think. Most think all of them are garbage (and, sadly, many are or were).

Only ones I can maybe consider are the WRs in the Couch era - KJ, Morgan, Davis. Many thought they were at least decent and none did anything after leaving.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my thought. Can't think of any players - certainly not since the return - who are much worse than most fans think. Most think all of them are garbage (and, sadly, many are or were).

Only ones I can maybe consider are the WRs in the Couch era - KJ, Morgan, Davis. Many thought they were at least decent and none did anything after leaving.

Yea they kept picking wide receivers in the second round over and over lol That trend seemed to continue for some time into guys like Robiskie (who was terrible), Massaquoi, Little

Now that I look back at their drafts they were really really bad the first three seasons at drafting players. Unlucky a bit with Couch and Brown but their picks beyond them were pretty awful

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea they kept picking wide receivers in the second round over and over lol That trend seemed to continue for some time into guys like Robiskie (who was terrible), Massaquoi, Little

Now that I look back at their drafts they were really really bad the first three seasons at drafting players. Unlucky a bit with Couch and Brown but their picks beyond them were pretty awful
I will say if a guy needed a sashi Brown around it was Davis. As I understand it, the guy's real role was listen to the football guys and break ties. Would have been nice to have him there to tell Davis no when everyone was saying don't take Gerard Warren.

Sucks, as I really though Davis was an outstanding coach but couldn't get out of his own way as a GM.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say if a guy needed a sashi Brown around it was Davis. As I understand it, the guy's real role was listen to the football guys and break ties. Would have been nice to have him there to tell Davis no when everyone was saying don't take Gerard Warren.

Sucks, as I really though Davis was an outstanding coach but couldn't get out of his own way as a GM.

When you consider their leading rusher the year before was Travis Prentice it just felt like the biggest no brainer to take LT there. I understand in years since the RB position has been devalued but ugh....he let his florida connections get to him that year and he drafted James Jackson instead (who I'm sure he thought was going to be good and had targetted the entire time)

I've read the previous regime liked LT and the holdovers liked Seymour

Either would've been a hit over Warren obviously.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you consider their leading rusher the year before was Travis Prentice it just felt like the biggest no brainer to take LT there. I understand in years since the RB position has been devalued but ugh....he let his florida connections get to him that year and he drafted James Jackson instead (who I'm sure he thought was going to be good and had targetted the entire time)

I've read the previous regime liked LT and the holdovers liked Seymour

Either would've been a hit over Warren obviously.
I always thought Seymour was their guy but, yeah, LT would have been great too.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Hannah and Leon Gray.

Well, that was easy.

giphy.gif

Good shout out, but I'd put Jones/Hutch right up there with em'. Point being, not many O-Lines on the left side compare to Jones/Hutch and my original point was Shaun Alexander was an overrated douche who had one of ARGUABLY the best left side in NFL history blocking for him.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jared Allen.

He was a great pass rusher to be sure, but that was all he was great at and all he really cared about. I'll never forget when he was chasing Strahan's record in a lost season and McCown handed the ball off, he let the RB run right by him in the hopes that McCown still had it.

Vikings fans love him and it's understandable because he has a big personality, a great quote and put up big sack numbers. But to talk about him as a Hall Of Fame player is absurd IMO.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, Hutch deserves honorable mention since he only was an elite/great guard for half of that big contract, he was good in year 4 and then by the end of it, he fell off the planet.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take Herman Moore on my team before Quitatron fwiw.

You literally are the only person who thinks this, including Herman Moore himself.

Moore was a good player, but nowhere near the talent level of Megatron.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tebow had a completion percentage below 48%. It's amazing that so many people think he's being unfairly left out of the NFL.

Ironically, Tebow's postseason QB rating was still higher than both Kaepernick's career postseason AND regular season QB ratings. You'd think a guy who was so clearly and obviously getting unfairly black balled out of the NFL would have been a least a little better than that for overall QBR than a bum like Tebow whose talent level clearly didn't justify the circus that followed him everywhere he played.

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gilbert Brown comes to mind first. He was a fine player, very good against the run, but there were at least 20 DTs at the time that were good or better, yet most people know his name for some reason.

Most every number 1 receiver thoughout the Favre/Rodgers era, with the exception of Sterling Sharpe and Donald Driver (Sterling Sharpe really was one of the best and, for whatever reason, it never seemed like anyone thought Driver was more than a good number 1 receiver). Antonio Freeman, Javon Walker, Greg Jennings and Jordy Nelson were all fine, but certainly benefited greatly from having a HoF QB

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jared Allen.

He was a great pass rusher to be sure, but that was all he was great at and all he really cared about. I'll never forget when he was chasing Strahan's record in a lost season and McCown handed the ball off, he let the RB run right by him in the hopes that McCown still had it.

Vikings fans love him and it's understandable because he has a big personality, a great quote and put up big sack numbers. But to talk about him as a Hall Of Fame player is absurd IMO.

Jared Allen is #11 on the all-time career sack leaders list with 136. That's including being significantly set back during his last couple years in Chicago, where they tried switching him to a linebacker role he had no business trying to play before shipping him out to finish his 2015 season/career in Carolina. Had he stayed in his natural DE position his last two full years, it's very likely he'd have surpassed Michael Strahan at #6 (141.5). Allen also has 4x first team all-pros, 2 league season sack titles, and ties the NFL record for career safeties. He was admittedly average against the run, but the idea of him not making the HOF when he was that great of a pass rusher while not being a liability against the run is just retarded.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marcus Trufant

He was a good CB but not great. Got burned too many times for my liking.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jared Allen is #11 on the all-time career sack leaders list with 136. That's including being significantly set back during his last couple years in Chicago, where they tried switching him to a linebacker role he had no business trying to play before shipping him out to finish his 2015 season/career in Carolina. Had he stayed in his natural DE position his last two full years, it's very likely he'd have surpassed Michael Strahan at #6 (141.5). Allen also has 4x first team all-pros, 2 league season sack titles, and ties the NFL record for career safeties. He was admittedly average against the run, but the idea of him not making the HOF when he was that great of a pass rusher while not being a liability against the run is just retarded.

He was a liability against the run for his last few years here after being average in his first few. If you can't see that, I can't help you.

You really want to mention safeties? That is a product of luck of where you are on the field as much as it is production. You need to look no further than how rare they are. If Orlovsky doesn't run out of the back of the end zone and Allen got credit for it as the closest player to him, he's in an 18 way tie for second place.

I'm not disputing that he was a great pass rusher, but that was all he tried to be good at, especially if he was on bad or mediocre teams. I remember he wanted a sack against Luck so badly that he hit him out of bounds and Indy ended up scoring a TD on that drive instead of punting.

Sacks are flashy, and you can throw numbers at me, but I just don't see him as the HOF lock that so many people around here do.