• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Players in your team's history you think were overrated/over-appreciated by the fan base

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Catch. The. Ball. "

"Hey, Numba Nine, try overhand."

Glory days, they'll pass you by....

tenor.gif

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of stretching the topic just a bit here but....

Bum Phillips. Houston Oilers.

I loved the guy, too, when I was in junior high but the reality is Bum rode Earl Campbell into the ground and never made adjustments to take the pressure off of #34.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure #1 and #3 were ever really over-appreciated by the fanbases per se. But RW the safety was IMO completely over-appreciated and never the player many made him out to be. He could hit for sure but he was the original lost in coverage, lost in space, bad angle Cowboy IMO. Now I'm not pretending he never had a role and was never good, but Woodson covered up his flaws and made him a lot of money and late in his career when he lost a step he flat out stunk.:2cents:
True, I'd say Bradie James was mostly overrated by Bradie James.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about overrated or over-appreciated because everybody knew that it was probably true at the time but I can't think of a RB in NFL history that had it easier than Shaun Alexander with Hutchinson and Jones opening 10 yard wide holes for him to run through. Hutch leaves and SA goes to crap.

bstoves24

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,316.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about overrated or over-appreciated because everybody knew that it was probably true at the time but I can't think of a RB in NFL history that had it easier than Shaun Alexander with Hutchinson and Jones opening 10 yard wide holes for him to run through. Hutch leaves and SA goes to crap.[/QUOTE

bstoves24

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,316.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't argue that he was a top 5 back in the 00s. Did he have a great o-line helping? Absolutely but he was very elusive as a back. Not to mention he was absolutely money in the red zone. Second best back in Seahawk history behind Lynch.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the one thing that always comes to mind when someone brings up kordell are all those balls he threw into the dirt. anything past 7 yards out and he was inaccurate as a motherf....
Yep. If it weren't for his scrambling abilities he wouldn't have been a starter.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Julian Edelman some of the NE faithful here think he is HOFer worthy

Yeah. He's a great clutch player especially in the playoffs but the HOF is a big stretch.

A spot on the Patriots Hall of Fame is a given and entirely appropriate.

Same with a player like Teddy Bruschi. A hell of a linebacker but HOF worthy? I just don't think so.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can think of some 1st round picks that were way overrated. Tim Couch (# 1 overall), Brady Quinn (# 22), Brandon Weeden (# 22), Johnny Manziel (# 22). And yes I hate the # 22 now. Hopefully they never pick from that spot again.

Weeden has to hold some sort of record for oldest 1st round rookie QB. Dude was 28 years old when he was drafted, and 29 for most of his first season, if I remember correctly. Breathed a sigh of relief to hear that the Browns apparently "stole" Manziel out from under the Vikings when both teams were attempting to trade up for Philly's pick to nab him, with Cleveland apparently making a better offer. I knew from day 1 that dude had bust written all over him. In hindsight, Quinn had some question marks about him going into the pros, but he's probably the only one that even remotely justified gambling a 1st round pick on out of that bunch you named - though any team doing it should have been in a better situation than Cleveland was at the time, he was definitely the type of guy who needed a great environment to start out in to progress as a legit starter in the NFL, IMO.

Thanks for making me feel better about being a Vikings fan, though. lulz.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Braylon 'couldn't catch a cold' Edwards.

Edwards was still 10x better than Troy "Alligator Arms" Williamson, just 4 picks later from the same draft. Edwards's one pro bowl season in 2007 was better than the entire 5-year career of Williamson. Then there was the Lions' Mike Williams at #10, who was just as bad as Williamson. Then there was Matt Jones at #21 and Mark Clayton at #22. Come to think of it, that 2005 draft was pretty disappointing in general.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know one thing, Kirk Cousins is the most over rated player in the history of over rated

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bridgewater might have been overrated by Minnesota fans, but this is pure nonsense. I'd take Bridgewater any day of the week before I'd take Robert Griffin.

What's your logic for taking Bridgewater "any day of the week" over RGIII? Stats may not tell the full story, but they're a reasonable starting point. So let's compare them.

RGIII career 44 GP, 40 starts - 768 cmp, 63.3 cmp%, 9,004 yards, 7.4 Y/A, 42 TD's, 26 INT's, 123 sacks, 1,670 rush yds, 6.1 rush avg, 10 rush TD's, 36 fumbles. Playoffs - 1 loss, 10 cmp, 52.6 cmp%, 84 yrds, 2 TD's, 1 INT, 21 rush yards, 1 fumble.

Teddy career 35 GP, 29 starts - 556 cmp, 64.7 cmp%, 6,268 yards, 7.2 Y/A, 29 TD's, 23 INT's, 85 sacks, 403 rush yds, 3.8 rush avg, 4 rush TD's, 11 fumbles. Playoffs - 1 loss, 17 cmp, 70.8 cmp%, 146 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT, 0 rush yards.

Those are pretty comparable stats. Basically, Griffin had the higher ceiling and lower floor starting out, whereas Bridgewater was the safer bet to at least be a game manager Charlie-checkdown type (which is exactly what he was as a starter in Minnesota) rather than being a complete and utter bust, injuries aside. Then both had their careers derailed due to injuries - Griffin due to reckless play and having wide hips that made his playing style much riskier, and Bridgewater due to his twig frame and plain old bad luck. But if I had to pick between one of those two coming out of college with all else being equal, I'd take the gamble on Griffin just for the higher potential ceiling. Wouldn't take either of them with terrible O-lines like the Vikes had or the horrendous field in Washington.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the one thing that always comes to mind when someone brings up kordell are all those balls he threw into the dirt. anything past 7 yards out and he was inaccurate as a motherf....

So a natural WR who was used as as QB and was mostly bad? Is he related to Joe Webb, aka "Throw It Into the Dirt or to The Moon", by chance?

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a natural WR who was used as as QB and was mostly bad? Is he related to Joe Webb, aka "Throw It Into the Dirt or to The Moon", by chance?

Might be, dunno..

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know one thing, Kirk Cousins is the most over rated player in the history of over rated

Lol he definitely got overpaid, no question about that. That said, people have been pretty hard on him this year, probably none more so than the Vikings fan base itself. That's from a team that has had mostly junk QB play for the past couple decades+ aside from a few good years by ancient player from other teams (Favre 1 year, Cunningham, Moon further back) or guys having exceptional career years (2017 Keenum). I appreciate the trolling effort though, as Cousins is well deserving of it.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's your logic for taking Bridgewater "any day of the week" over RGIII? Stats may not tell the full story, but they're a reasonable starting point. So let's compare them.

RGIII career 44 GP, 40 starts - 768 cmp, 63.3 cmp%, 9,004 yards, 7.4 Y/A, 42 TD's, 26 INT's, 123 sacks, 1,670 rush yds, 6.1 rush avg, 10 rush TD's, 36 fumbles. Playoffs - 1 loss, 10 cmp, 52.6 cmp%, 84 yrds, 2 TD's, 1 INT, 21 rush yards, 1 fumble.

Teddy career 35 GP, 29 starts - 556 cmp, 64.7 cmp%, 6,268 yards, 7.2 Y/A, 29 TD's, 23 INT's, 85 sacks, 403 rush yds, 3.8 rush avg, 4 rush TD's, 11 fumbles. Playoffs - 1 loss, 17 cmp, 70.8 cmp%, 146 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT, 0 rush yards.

Those are pretty comparable stats. Basically, Griffin had the higher ceiling and lower floor starting out, whereas Bridgewater was the safer bet to at least be a game manager Charlie-checkdown type (which is exactly what he was as a starter in Minnesota) rather than being a complete and utter bust, injuries aside. Then both had their careers derailed due to injuries - Griffin due to reckless play and having wide hips that made his playing style much riskier, and Bridgewater due to his twig frame and plain old bad luck. But if I had to pick between one of those two coming out of college with all else being equal, I'd take the gamble on Griffin just for the higher potential ceiling. Wouldn't take either of them with terrible O-lines like the Vikes had or the horrendous field in Washington.

Chrissakes, no one asked for a dissertation. Just open your squinty little eyes and watch, bridgewater is better in the pocket, he's a million times better at reading a defense

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chrissakes, no one asked for a dissertation. Just open your squinty little eyes and watch, bridgewater is better in the pocket, he's a million times better at reading a defense

I guess I don't understand it when people get upset by someone trying to counter an argument they make with logic and facts.

But to simplify everything, Bridgewater was never anything beyond average. Both his stats and actual game play reflect that, if you'd seen most of his games as a Viking like I have. Meanwhile, a lot of Vikings fans act like he was the next Peyton Manning, and a lot of fans in general still seem deluded into thinking he has a high chance of having a legit career as a high quality starter in the league despite that and his injury setting him back so much. So yeah, he's extremely overrated. People are missing the point to get so hung up on my RGIII comment.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol he definitely got overpaid, no question about that. That said, people have been pretty hard on him this year, probably none more so than the Vikings fan base itself. That's from a team that has had mostly junk QB play for the past couple decades+ aside from a few good years by ancient player from other teams (Favre 1 year, Cunningham, Moon further back) or guys having exceptional career years (2017 Keenum). I appreciate the trolling effort though, as Cousins is well deserving of it.

Your troll thread is well appreciated, and yes, Cousins is deserving. Pointing out that he flat out blows when playing against .500 teams or playing in prime time or Monday nights is not trolling...it's just the facts of football.