• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Player Rankings

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much of a players individual ranking is based on who is offering him a scholarship? For example,
if USC, Alabama, FSU, OSU, ND and Texas all offer the same kid a scholarship does it automatically make him a 5-Star?

7NationalChampionships

SportsHoopla Top 10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much of a players individual ranking is based on who is offering him a scholarship? For example,
if USC, Alabama, FSU, OSU, ND and Texas all offer the same kid a scholarship does it automatically make him a 5-Star?

Those are referred to as "blue chippers".

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think all it does is make them more visible and put to the top of the list to be evaluated by scouting sites. I've seen plenty of kids with a bunch of big name offers who only have a 3 star ranking. But the evaluators of those kids from the different sites are looking at the same game film coaches use to scout players.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have to say that if all of those schools offered, then yes. If one of them offered, then each rating service would up their rating to reflect it. Rating services are only in it to make money from the masses, not to really provide a true service.

Look at Kevin Dillman for Nebraska. I think he was a four star, but he is now downgraded to three star. I am pretty sure he was a four star in the beginning because of the schools that showed interest in him. He did have offers from some of the big time schools and interest from all except Texas and Ohio State. But with his injuries and now him not playing and none of the other big time schools have offered, he has been downgraded and the season has not even started.

Why he was even given any stars is a complete mystery to me. Might as well start rating fourth grade girls for their potential to play.

He is a Swedish kid, that is emancipated and a US Citizen, that played in California for one year and was hurt last year. He then upped and moved to Texas and has been denied high school eligibility and is playing JV. So, he has only had one year of USA organized football and these schools are offering him? WTF?

He is an interesting story though. If he can do anything in college football, ESPN will be all over him.

WABLTY

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota had a 3 star wide receiver recruit this past cycle named Melvin Holland who, going off of the hudl video, if you told me was a blue chip 5 star guy that everyone and their mother was after, I'd have believed you. Apparently he'd played primarily defense up until his senior year or something and was a late bloomer. Or maybe I just can't tell the difference between what makes one big, fast, strong guy better than another big, fast, strong guy. Either way, I'm certain that the prestige/fanbase size of schools recruiting a guy affects where the services rate them. They've got customer bases to keep happy.

Last edited by a moderator: