• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Philadelphia Eagles @ Seattle Seahawks

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Positives:

Russell Wilson -
After struggling through multiple injuries - the last two games have shown that Russell is nearly 100% healthy again. There are also signs that Russell is entering his second half hot streak that has been his signature since coming into the league.

Run Defense - Seattle rates in the top 10 in run defense, and is #2 in ypc (3.5). Seattle has had to face teams running the ball a lot the last 4 games (138 carries for 498 yards) as teams have been content on 2-3 yard gains on first and/or second downs to give easy 3rd and short situations. Seattle's inability to create separation on the scoreboard has allowed opposing offenses to stay in this game plan.

CenturyLink - Playing in Seattle is a daunting task for opposing teams - even those not coming in with a rookie QB. Seattle is undefeated at home this season, and teams from the east coast like traveling to the west coast about as much as teams from the west coast enjoy traveling to the east coat (which is evident by the whining they did to get their west coast trips limited).

Negatives:

Running Game -
It's been a long time since the Seahawks running attack was ranked in the 30s. Though I have hope that Procise's decisiveness and Rawls return will help bring the running attack back - there just hasn't been enough consistency to make me confident. When Philly is good against the run - they're really good - but when they've been exposed they have been really bad.

Philly Run Game - Philadelphia runs the ball well, and a lot. They have 3 running backs who get 5 carries a game or more (a fourth is above 2). They average 28 carries a game - and with the recent trend to run against Seattle's D (and Carson Wentz showing some mid-season rookie stumbles), I would expect them to be the 4th team in 5 weeks to reach 30 carries against Seattle.

Darren Sproles - Sproles has been a very good back for a long time, and he's the type of back that gives the Seahawks fits. He gets lost behind the linemen and he is an excellent receiver out of the backfield. He fits the type of players teams have been using to nickel and dime the Seahawks defense for the last 4 games. Shutting him (and Ryan Matthews) will be key in getting the upper hand against their offense.

Matchups:

Philly Front 7 v. Sea OLine -
I hate using components from multiple areas in the same write-up, which is why the Philly front 7 is here instead of negatives. Philly's front is among the best in football - and many would argue is the best in football. Seattle's OLine - though much maligned - has played much better than expected this season, and this won't be their first game against a top front 7 (LA, Arizona, Miami, Buffalo). This truly will be the matchup to watch today - as Seattle's entire offense will depend on how well the line can hold that great front 7 in check.

Jordan Matthews v. DeShawn Shead - Shead has shown the last 5 games that he can hold his own on the other side (there were times this year that he was exposed, but he's closed that up), and as such Richard Sherman hasn't been following the #1 as much since the Jets game. Matthews is a matchup issue against most teams - but Seattle's big corners (6'1" and 6'3" as starters) takes some of that away. Matthews is the Eagles leading receiver (in all 4 traditional categories) and they lean on him heavily for the passing game.

Zach Ertz v. Wright/Wagner/Coyle - A good TE is a young QBs best friend - and Ertz is the team's 3rd leading receiver, despite missing 2 games. Throw in the added issue of having to keep an eye on Sproles (2nd leading receiver) and the Hawks' linebackers are gonna have their hands full today.

Overview:

This game is more than winnable for the Seahawks. If they can limit the run and make Wentz beat them - this game could get ugly fast. The defense needs to get off the field, preferably on 3 and outs, and not let the Eagles offense get a head of steam behind it. The offense needs to find ways to score and put distance between them and the Eagles early and pressure them to abandon the run for a much weaker pass attack. As always - Seattle's front 4 will need to be able to find ways to pressure the QB, a much harder task when facing a team that runs as often as Philly does. On paper, I would say Seattle has the better overall team - but this is a match up of defensive elites (2nd and 3rd), so this has all the hallmarks of a physical, low scoring affair that could come down to the final possession.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice write up...

I like the Hawks in this one... I think we'll win 27-16 or something like that... I feel Philly will struggle when they get into the Red Zone against our defense... I'm curious to see how Wentz handles the noise, pressure and our defense when the field shrinks... I don't think he'll do too well down there, which is why I believe the Hawks will win, while forcing them into FG's...

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will not be commenting during this game because I will be at the CLINK with my wife. A buddy of mine (who travels a lot) with season tickets asked me a couple days ago if the game was home or away? After I told him the game was at home he hen he asked me if I wanted his tickets. I could not say no.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly.

Philly kinda worries me alot.

You look up and down their roster. They should not be 5-4. They should not have beat Atlanta.

We need to cause some irred throws by carson by getting hands in his face.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got this one.
Wentz will throw a pick or 2 and I fully expect a much improved Seahawk run game.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly.

Philly kinda worries me alot.

You look up and down their roster. They should not be 5-4. They should not have beat Atlanta.

We need to cause some irred throws by carson by getting hands in his face.

Are you saying they're better or worse than their record?

I think they're a good young team, who plays better at home than away.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you saying they're better or worse than their record?

I think they're a good young team, who plays better at home than away.

Good point. I completely ignored that they are only 1-3 on the road (and the 1 win was against a putrid Bears team in week 2).

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Key to this win for the Hawks is not letting Ertz and Sproles peel off big gains. Get after Weintz and force him into a couple of TO's. I feel good about this game with Rawls/Prosise combo, RW healthy and our secondary's match up against their sub par WR's.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cards fall. Can pick up another game with win. 3 games with 6 to go would be huge for the division race. Especially since after today - I like our schedule.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we go. Opening drive TD, come on guys!

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cards fall. Can pick up another game with win. 3 games with 6 to go would be huge for the division race. Especially since after today - I like our schedule.

If Rams win, they'll be in 2nd place...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh, 3 and out...

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of explosiveness at the snap for Philly, everyone of those d linemen fires off the block. We'll see if they can keep that up all day.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chancellor down not a good thing

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70