• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phil Steele's 2019-2020 Preseason Top 25

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, do you think that every team has the same motivation in a game? Even a NY 6 Game can be more important to one side than the other. Two teams can land in the same spot from different places and the game can be more important for one side or the other. Emotion is just as important as skill, talent and coaching in winning football games. That is the same in the SEC, B1G or MWC.
Absolutely correct. No they all have the same motivation coming into a bowl game...or even the same goals for that matter. Which is why there shouldn't be any stock put into bowl results. (And also because of draftees sitting out, playing guys they'll need next year, etc.)

That was the norm for a lot of teams that were forced to play in the "less sexy bowls" because of conference tie ins. But now it seems the CFP has even placed teams in the same position for some of the non playoff NY6 bowls.
That said, it seems a bunch of conference nutswingers will sing the praises of their conference brethren if they win the bowl games. If their conference brethren lose the games they'll hide behind the "they didn't want to be there" mantra.

78Cyclones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely correct. No they all have the same motivation coming into a bowl game...or even the same goals for that matter. Which is why there shouldn't be any stock put into bowl results. (And also because of draftees sitting out, playing guys they'll need next year, etc.)

That was the norm for a lot of teams that were forced to play in the "less sexy bowls" because of conference tie ins. But now it seems the CFP has even placed teams in the same position for some of the non playoff NY6 bowls.
That said, it seems a bunch of conference nutswingers will sing the praises of their conference brethren if they win the bowl games. If their conference brethren lose the games they'll hide behind the "they didn't want to be there" mantra.
Hmmm, not sure which part you are agreeing with :), but I don't think every team has the same motivation. Some schools think they have something to prove. Some don't. Some are red hot after starting slow, some are deflated after a Championship run that is just short. Some are there for fun. Others are strictly business. Some are rosy cheeked in anticipation of beating a historical big dog, others couldn't care less about the nondescript program they are playing. I do agree that we shouldn't put much stock in the results. There is a reason that there are so many upsets in the Bowls like the USC vs. TCU Sun Bowl example you used in a different thread.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm, not sure which part you are agreeing with :), but I don't think every team has the same motivation. Some schools think they have something to prove. Some don't. Some are red hot after starting slow, some are deflated after a Championship run that is just short. Some are there for fun. Others are strictly business. Some are rosy cheeked in anticipation of beating a historical big dog, others couldn't care less about the nondescript program they are playing. I do agree that we shouldn't put much stock in the results. There is a reason that there are so many upsets in the Bowls like the USC vs. TCU Sun Bowl example you used in a different thread.
I didn't word it worth a damn. Should have read "...they all don't have the same motivation...". As you describe, motivation is all over the map.

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Michigan is a legitimate 3 this year. Solely based on schedule and who they have returning compared to their division.

Ohio State is changing coaches
Penn State has a few questions to answer
Michigan State seems to be trending downward recently

Michigan returns all but 1 starter on Offense
Michigan returns all but 3 starters on Defense

They were 10-3 last year with 2 bad losses to end the season. Before that they were 10-1. I think this is the first year the hype is legitimate for them largely because of Urban's departure from tOSU. This is a program that has won 10 games 3 of the past 4 seasons. It isn't like they haven't perform well. They just haven't performed great yet.

They get 3 key games at home. Notre Dame, Michigan State and Ohio State with road trips to Wisconsin and Penn State. The rest of their schedule is a breeze. They could even drop the game to Notre Dame and still have no Big 10 ramifications in doing so.
So the Same Michigan team that Florida beat 41-15 is #3 and they are now missing 3 starters... seems legit:thumb::rolleyes2:

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil Steele's 2019-2020 Preseason Top 25

(based on how he thinks teams will finish up the season, not how they will be ranked to start the season)

1 Alabama
2 Clemson
3 Michigan
4 Georgia
5 Oklahoma
6 Ohio St
7 LSU
8 Utah
9 Notre Dame
10 Florida
11 Texas
12 Oregon
13 Mich St
14 TCU
15 Miami
16 Washington
17 Texas A&M
18 Auburn
19 Nebraska
20 Penn St
21 Iowa St
22 Stanford
23 Iowa
24 Miss St
25 Va Tech

Awesome. The real question is, what will he claim his rankings were at the end of the season?

volbound2002

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little nit-picky but I don't see Miss State being very good this year. I would put Missouri in their place. Missouri doesn't get the respect that they deserve.

Also, no way Auburn is in the top 20 without more attrition from the top of the SEC. Auburn plays most the top teams and they are either going to lose 5 games or crash the party.

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little nit-picky but I don't see Miss State being very good this year. I would put Missouri in their place. Missouri doesn't get the respect that they deserve.

Also, no way Auburn is in the top 20 without more attrition from the top of the SEC. Auburn plays most the top teams and they are either going to lose 5 games or crash the party.

But if Auburn goes 9-4 against that schedule they are top 20 for sure and possibly top 15.

Fatsquirrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Same Michigan team that Florida beat 41-15 is #3 and they are now missing 3 starters... seems legit:thumb::rolleyes2:
So teams don’t change year to year? Seems legit. :rolleyes2:

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome. The real question is, what will he claim his rankings were at the end of the season?
Thats why he has his ranking and his 50 surprise teams and covers up with "while my main computer didnt have them this high, 7 others did"

Fatsquirrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you read what i quoted?
Yes, and what you said still didn’t make sense.

Even if what he wrote about the starters was taken literally rather than at the point he was making, the same exact roster coming back from a 10 win team that now has another year of practice, conditioning and games is bound to be appreciably better, right?

Last edited:

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Even if what he wrote about the starters was taken literally rather than at the point he was making, the same exact roster coming back from a 10 win team that now has another year of practice, conditioning and games is bound to be appreciably better, right?
Except you aren’t even close to the exact same team. He was mocked for how Michigan had 4 defensive players taken in the draft but he stated somehow only lost 3 starters. You lost a lot on your defensive line.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats why he has his ranking and his 50 surprise teams and covers up with "while my main computer didnt have them this high, 7 others did"
“Well this team was number 50 on my 50 darkhorse teams to make the playoffs. Therefore I am the best.”- Phil Steele every year

Fatsquirrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except you aren’t even close to the exact same team. He was mocked for how Michigan had 4 defensive players taken in the draft but he stated somehow only lost 3 starters. You lost a lot on your defensive line.
I didn’t say we were but I understand the point he was trying to make. Probably not how I would’ve conveyed it but oh well. And replacing production on the ends is probably the last thing I’m worried about on the defense this year, unfortunately.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“Well this team was number 50 on my 50 darkhorse teams to make the playoffs. Therefore I am the best.”- Phil Steele every year
Jam packed with information

In 1971 Oregon had running back Bobby Moore who later became Ahmad Rashad he was an All American. Blah blah blah 80s Tony Cherry, Blah blah blah 90s Ricky Wittle blah blah blah 2000s Jonathan Stewart, Blah blah blah LaMichael James and Kenjon Barner. Blah blah blah LeGarrett Blount, blah blah blah couple years ago Royce Freeman thats why in 2019 Oregon running backs have a chance to be the best in the Pac.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sure..... In simpleton think. If this was Harbaugh's 2nd year one could expect appreciable improvement in year two.

However, it's not year two, it's year five. Harbaugh has the same number of wins Bo Pelini had at Nebraska after 4 years. Pelini actually accomplished more in his first 4 years than Harbaugh in that Pelini had a couple division titles.

Year after year of practice, conditioning, and games, Pelini teams could never turn the corner, win significant games, or win a conference title. They always got their 9 or 10 wins though and kept fans hopes up in that 'next year is gonna be their year'.

Harbaugh is literally Pelini without the division titles.

Fatsquirrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure..... In simpleton think. If this was Harbaugh's 2nd year one could expect appreciable improvement in year two.

However, it's not year two, it's year five. Harbaugh has the same number of wins Bo Pelini had at Nebraska after 4 years. Pelini actually accomplished more in his first 4 years than Harbaugh in that Pelini had a couple division titles.

Year after year of practice, conditioning, and games, Pelini teams could never turn the corner, win significant games, or win a conference title. They always got their 9 or 10 wins though and kept fans hopes up in that 'next year is gonna be their year'.

giphy.gif

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wait are you comparing BIg 12 North with Kansas, Iowa State, Colorado, Kansas State and Missouri to a division with Ohio State Michigan State and Penn State? those 3 alone tops anything Pelini had to face in the Big 12

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait are you comparing BIg 12 North with Kansas, Iowa State, Colorado, Kansas State and Missouri to a division with Ohio State Michigan State and Penn State? those 3 alone tops anything Pelini had to face in the Big 12

If you knew anything about anything you'd know Pelini won an outright Big 10 division championship too.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact is after 4 years Harbaugh has as many wins as Pelini did in his first 4 years.
Harbaugh has no outright division championships where Pelini had 2.

As of now.......Pelini >> Harbaugh

This is indisputable.