• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Peyton Manning Sets Another All-Time Record

MRVegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assumed this was a given, but we're talking about regular season stats here. The postseason has nothing to do with regular season stats. I've never seen any stats that show more than 16 games for a season. That being the case, how does 48 TDs compare to 55? It doesn't. You don't have to win a Super Bowl to validate your regular season stats. For some reason you apply that to Peyton Manning but not Dan Marino or Tom Brady. The overt double standard that applies to Peyton Manning in an attempt to qualify or detract from what he's done really puzzles me.

You are 2 for 2 in reading comprehension disability. I absolutely applied it to Marino and Brady.

55 is more than 48 but 48 was done in almost 100 less passes. Marino's TD% was higher than Mannings this year (meaning if the play calls had the same amount of passes then Marino would have thrown more than 55td's). Virtually everyone involved in the sport agrees it was harder to pass the ball in 1984 than it is in 2013. So, in theory, if Manning decides to pass for a TD almost always on 1st down from the 2 yard line and Marino hands it off in those situations does that mean Manning had a better year? I'm not saying that happened but making a point that 55 to 48 doesn't mean you automatically had a better year. You being a big contributor on these NFL boards, I would think you would understand something quite this obvious.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
One could argue the greatest single season of all time is Steve Young in 1994 because he won the Super Bowl. 112.8 Passer rating is still probably the best of all time against the average. And the 49ers set the record for most points scored in a season (regular-season + post season) back when defense was still legal. Manning's 2004 & Brady's 2007 don't have the ring as the cherry on top.

...That's if you include the post season of course. And I don't see why you wouldn't.

MRVegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One could argue the greatest single season of all time is Steve Young in 1994 because he won the Super Bowl. 112.8 Passer rating is still probably the best of all time against the average. And the 49ers set the record for most points scored in a season (regular-season + post season) back when defense was still legal. Manning's 2004 & Brady's 2007 don't have the ring as the cherry on top.

...That's if you include the post season of course. And I don't see why you wouldn't.

Overall, you may be right. Young was awesome that year and is overlooked.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall, you may be right. Young was awesome that year and is overlooked.

Now you're grasping at straws. If someone says that Trent Dilfer's 2003 season was the greatest ever, you'll find an excuse to agree. :L

"Just because Peyton Manning had the best season ever doesn't mean Peyton Manning had the best season ever. Really, it was [insert name of QB, any QB] who had the best season ever."

Clear as Mississippi mud.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'll put Steve Young in his prime up against any QB who ever played the game. He didn't last as long as other HOFers because of the punishment he took running the ball, but he was just about as dangerous a man with a football in his hands as anyone who ever played the game. And that includes Joe Montana.

And having an amazing regular season + winning the SB should count for a something IMO.

MRVegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you're grasping at straws. If someone says that Trent Dilfer's 2003 season was the greatest ever, you'll find an excuse to agree. :L

"Just because Peyton Manning had the best season ever doesn't mean Peyton Manning had the best season ever. Really, it was [insert name of QB, any QB] who had the best season ever."

Clear as Mississippi mud.

Since you are an administrator can you tell me how to ban trolls...since you are one?

Young had a better completion% and Y/A arguably 2 of the most important stats. Also lead the 49ers offense to scores of 44, 38, and 49 in the playoffs that year and a SB. Also rushed for almost 300 yds and 7 TD's. His passing attempts were 200 less than Manning this year. So, yes OVERALL, which is what we were talking about, you can make the argument that Steve Young's 1994 season was best ever OVERALL.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since you are an administrator can you tell me how to ban trolls...since you are one?

Young had a better completion% and Y/A arguably 2 of the most important stats. Also lead the 49ers offense to scores of 44, 38, and 49 in the playoffs that year and a SB. Also rushed for almost 300 yds and 7 TD's. His passing attempts were 200 less than Manning this year. So, yes OVERALL, which is what we were talking about, you can make the argument that Steve Young's 1994 season was best ever OVERALL.

I'm convinced, especially since Young's completion % on 200 less passes was a whopping 1.7% higher.

Child, please.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol@ mentioning Young with Manning in anything.

That's grotesque

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All you Brady fans and Manning haters have reason for hope!!!

It's going to be hilarious if they uphold this challenge and he doesn't get the record. Then we're going to see those samy hypocrites that said "numbers are meaningless" come and start gloating. :L

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Lol@ mentioning Young with Manning in anything.

That's grotesque

I don't think you appreciate how good Young was. Steve Young, against the average, is the most efficient passer who ever played. By a decent margin. His passer rating against the average is like 6-7 points higher than Peyton's against the average. His completion percentage & YPA are higher than Manning's against the average. And he's BY FAR the best scrambling QB of any of the HOFers.

The ONLY thing he didn't have was longevity (he took too many hits running around for his life). But keep in mind that Joe Montana screwed his legacy & Steve screwed Joe's legacy right back. Joe called him "the enemy."

That said we're taking about a single season not a career. Peyton had a much better career than Steve, but in 1994 Steve was downright phenomenal. If Peyton puts up a bunch of points & wins the SB this postseason (which he won't because he'll choke as usual) then he had the greatest season of all time. But Steve played back when defense was still legal.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you appreciate how good Young was. Steve Young, against the average, is the most efficient passer who ever played. By a decent margin. His passer rating against the average is like 6-7 points higher than Peyton's against the average. His completion percentage & YPA are higher than Manning's against the average. And he's BY FAR the best scrambling QB of any of the HOFers.

The ONLY thing he didn't have was longevity (he took too many hits running around for his life). But keep in mind that Joe Montana screwed his legacy & Steve screwed Joe's legacy right back. Joe called him "the enemy."

That said we're taking about a single season not a career. Peyton had a much better career than Steve, but in 1994 Steve was downright phenomenal. If Peyton puts up a bunch of points & wins the SB this postseason (which he won't because he'll choke as usual) then he had the greatest season of all time. But Steve played back when defense was still legal.

Of course you're completely objective on the matter, right? :D Sorry man, not convinced. "Against the average" hocus-pocus or not, Steve Young isn't even top 10 IMO. I'll take Steve McNair any day over Young.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most statistically impressive season, but greatest season? No, I dont even think it's his best season.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Of course you're completely objective on the matter, right? :D Sorry man, not convinced. "Against the average" hocus-pocus or not, Steve Young isn't even top 10 IMO. I'll take Steve McNair any day over Young.

Seriously? Steve freeking McNair? You're just busting my balls here right?

You know that I'm not a homer. I was the one calling Kaepernick an average QB when he was getting next-great-thing hype all offseason. I said I'd take Cutler over Kaepernick. I consistently trashed Alex Smith when he was in SF as a guy who can't throw the ball more than 7 yards; he was my worst nightmare on 3rd & long. I NEVER thought Jeff Garcia was a great QB (he was pretty good for a few years). I passionately defend Kurt Warner as one of the greatest QBs to ever play (and he was); and he was a Ram / Cardinal. Warner's numbers against the average are amazing (2nd best YPA of all time); one of the quickest released you'll ever see as well.

And nowhere did I say Young was better than Manning. I said you could argue Young circa 1994 was better than Manning circa 2004.

As far as the "against the average hocus pocus" goes, everyone would agree that NFL rule changes over the years have made it MUCH easier to play QB in the NFL. That's why I always compare against the average if they played in different eras.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Don't know why this didn't occur to be before, but you must be a Vols fan Hammer. Correct? That might explain all the Peyton man-love (not that he doesn't deserve a ton of it).

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know why this didn't occur to be before, but you must be a Vols fan Hammer. Correct? That might explain all the Peyton man-love (not that he doesn't deserve a ton of it).

I grew up in Nashville, the home of Vanderbilt. No, I H-A-T-E-D Tennessee and Peyton Manning back then.

I like him for one reason: he's the greatest who's ever played the game with no close second. I'm not clouded by team allegiance. :whistle:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All you Brady fans and Manning haters have reason for hope!!!

[MEDIA=twitter]418049956612931584[/MEDIA]

It's going to be hilarious if they uphold this challenge and he doesn't get the record. Then we're going to see those samy hypocrites that said "numbers are meaningless" come and start gloating. :L

It's standard procedure to do stats corrections every week after the game. That was a lateral and will be likely to be ruled as such.

It doesn't take away from a great season.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really expect the Chargers to beat Cincy, but if they do Peyton better look out. The Chargers record against him in the postseason is good and they beat Denver in their Stadium already this season. I can't stand the Mannings for obvious reasons. Beating the Broncos and Giants this year was GREAT.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The chargers are not a threat to Denver. KC almost beat them with two starters in a game they absolutely had to win.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I grew up in Nashville, the home of Vanderbilt. No, I H-A-T-E-D Tennessee and Peyton Manning back then.

I like him for one reason: he's the greatest who's ever played the game with no close second. I'm not clouded by team allegiance. :whistle:

Fair enough. I still have Montana & his 13 SB TDs (2 rushing), zero SB picks & like 127 passer rating in 4 SBs as the GOAT. But I can see why you'd call me a homer for saying that.

I don't think Lions fans are "clouded" if they think Barry Sanders is the GOAT or if they think Megatron is the best WR in the NFL (possibly the best ever; and that's coming from a fan of Jerry Rice). Or if Giants fans think LT is the best linebacker to ever play or if Cowboys fans think Deion is the GOAT. Or Chiefs fans w/ Gonzo. And yes, I'd throw Ronnie Lott's name in there, and the only player I've seen who could've taken his mantle was Sean Taylor. Etc, etc etc.

...by the way, I think Aaron Rodgers has easily been the best QB in the NFL over the last 5 years. Not Peyton or Brady.