• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Peyton Manning Sets Another All-Time Record

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton Manning is the Oscar Robertson of the NFL. Probably the best player to ever suit up but if he leaves the league with 1 ring then in 25 years when people are discussing the greatest QBs of all time he will be a blip on the radar. Just the way it is. Not fair but its reality.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manning's gonna get another Ring this year.

Maybe but thats what we heard last year too :) he needs at least one more IMO or he will eventually become irrelevant in discussions of the GOAT.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The season is unmatched.

If he wins the first unanimous MVP + a super bowl....

It will be the greatest single player season in NFL history.

It might already be it without the unanimous MVP and ring.

Age 37, 2 years removed from freaking neck surgery, new team, new coaches

amazing.

Actually 2nd Brady got unanimous MVP for 2010 season

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe but thats what we heard last year too :) he needs at least one more IMO or he will eventually become irrelevant in discussions of the GOAT.

no really, this is the year haha. Bank on it.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

MRVegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It certainly was the best scoring offense ever, I don't recall ever seeing so many wide open receivers down the field. The whole offense including coaching has to get some credit. Manning's line calls and reads also need extra credit.

I don't know if its the best ever offense or if Manning had the best season. Manning has always been great (probably best ever) at exploiting a bad defense, or a defense that he just has their number. Being able to do it against a great D is in question since I dont think the AFC has any. Mannings TD% as good as some of his other years nevermind other QB's seasons.

I'm impressed, just not as impressed as most I guess. Passing attempts are up, hence the numbers are too. 7 of the 8 top seasons for attempts by a QB have been since 2010. 4 of those 7 ended with the QB with over 40 TD's. The rule changes etc.... Manning was (is) awesome, and he is one of the few to ever play capable of doing what he did this year. I just think its partially a product of the evolution of the game. It wouldn't surprise me if a guy like Aaron Rodgers throws 700 passes next year and breaks all the records.

If the Broncos continue to score and win the SB then there would be no dispute...I have my doubts.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if you are going to hint that he would struggle against good defenses then to me I think you should at least back that up. He played 4 of the top 15 defenses in this season Against those teams he scored 49, 41, 51, and 37. If you don't want to do the math that is 44.5 points on average. Now I was going off of total defense for that stat. Now if we want to go off of points per game defensively he played 8 of his 16 games against teams in the top half of the league. In those games he averaged 34.25 points per game. So even if they had to play a top defense in the NFL every week the Broncos would still lead the NFL in scoring.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It certainly was the best scoring offense ever, I don't recall ever seeing so many wide open receivers down the field. The whole offense including coaching has to get some credit. Manning's line calls and reads also need extra credit.

I don't know if its the best ever offense or if Manning had the best season. Manning has always been great (probably best ever) at exploiting a bad defense, or a defense that he just has their number. Being able to do it against a great D is in question since I dont think the AFC has any. Mannings TD% as good as some of his other years nevermind other QB's seasons.

I'm impressed, just not as impressed as most I guess. Passing attempts are up, hence the numbers are too. 7 of the 8 top seasons for attempts by a QB have been since 2010. 4 of those 7 ended with the QB with over 40 TD's. The rule changes etc.... Manning was (is) awesome, and he is one of the few to ever play capable of doing what he did this year. I just think its partially a product of the evolution of the game. It wouldn't surprise me if a guy like Aaron Rodgers throws 700 passes next year and breaks all the records.

If the Broncos continue to score and win the SB then there would be no dispute...I have my doubts.

So now in order to qualify for having a good regular season, you also have to win the Super Bowl? It doesn't matter of Peyton had 7500 yards and 75 TDs, detractors would still pooh-pooh it. :L

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now in order to qualify for having a good regular season, you also have to win the Super Bowl? It doesn't matter of Peyton had 7500 yards and 75 TDs, detractors would still pooh-pooh it. :L

Well to be fair the OP's question was "is Peyton Manning having the best season of all time"? If it was " s he having the greatest regular season of all time" then thats a different debate. Tough to classify anything as individually the greatest season ever if you dont win a title. I personally think you could still call it that but most wouldnt.

MRVegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no question that Broncos had best offense this year. I dont care how many top defenses they faced this year in the AFC, I dont think the defenses are that good period. Add the rules that hold them back (and it seems to get worse every year) and the defenses are borderline bad in many cases. I think its a factor in all these stats going up, thats why it doesn't overly impress me.

Manning and this offense broke records, it would be a great offense anytime anywhere. But yes, if Broncos play Seattle in SB, they will struggle....heck they may struggle against the Patriots and their defense is not very good. Look what happened to the Patriots in 07, they put big numbers in final game vs Giants, but Giants the 2nd time around figured them out, they had a very good front seven. Broncos lost to 3 of the 5 teams in the AFC playoffs.

MRVegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have no idea how your replay applies to anything I said. They scored the most points ever and Manning threw the most TD's ever, doesn't necessarily mean it is the best ever. Never said it wasn't still great. Can they run the ball on a tough run defense if the weather is really bad and affects the passing game? I don't know... I do know the 83 Redskins could. If they win a SB and put up the numbers all the way through, especially against a Seattle or SF defense and their won't be a dispute in my book. 2013 Broncos are the best passing offense statistically ever - you can never take that away from them....well until its broken sometime soon, probably.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no question that Broncos had best offense this year. I dont care how many top defenses they faced this year in the AFC, I dont think the defenses are that good period. Add the rules that hold them back (and it seems to get worse every year) and the defenses are borderline bad in many cases. I think its a factor in all these stats going up, thats why it doesn't overly impress me.

Manning and this offense broke records, it would be a great offense anytime anywhere. But yes, if Broncos play Seattle in SB, they will struggle....heck they may struggle against the Patriots and their defense is not very good. Look what happened to the Patriots in 07, they put big numbers in final game vs Giants, but Giants the 2nd time around figured them out, they had a very good front seven. Broncos lost to 3 of the 5 teams in the AFC playoffs.

I understand your concern for the Broncos and Peyton in the playoffs. The defense has struggled quite a bit this season. They also though have used more defensive personnel than any other team in the league by a long shot as they have had 6 of their starters injured at different times this year. They don't have the greatest depth on defense so that in turn has lead to some defensive struggles. We shall see if that continues in the playoffs. I will say though that some of those players have finally come back like Champ Bailey, Wolfe, and even Rahim Moore that have missed a good part of this season. How they come back though is another question.

Now as for the season we shall how it ends. Yes they have lost to 3 of the 5 other playoff teams. They also lost 2 of those 3 on the road and both of those by a touchdown or less. All games have to come to Denver now. The Chargers beating the Broncos was on a Thursday Night game so hard telling much from that defeat. Throw in those losses to the Patriots and Colts were both before the Patriots lost Gronk and the Colts lost Wayne. Manning had also just lost his All-Pro LT before the Colts game and the Broncos were without their Pro Bowl TE against the Patriots.

Now how this all plays out is anybody's guess as I would never have guess the Ravens going into Denver and NE and winning then beating SF in the Super Bowl. Should be a wild ride ahead.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea how your replay applies to anything I said. They scored the most points ever and Manning threw the most TD's ever, doesn't necessarily mean it is the best ever. Never said it wasn't still great. Can they run the ball on a tough run defense if the weather is really bad and affects the passing game? I don't know... I do know the 83 Redskins could. If they win a SB and put up the numbers all the way through, especially against a Seattle or SF defense and their won't be a dispute in my book. 2013 Broncos are the best passing offense statistically ever - you can never take that away from them....well until its broken sometime soon, probably.

We're talking about Peyton Manning's season here and the title of the thread is "Is Peyton Manning having the greatest season of all time?" So we're not talking about the Broncos or the playoffs.

Since you don't feel that he's having the best season ever, who would you say did and why?

MRVegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see Broncos vs Seattle... if you haven't noticed - and just so you know I'd want Manning to Past those cocky Seahawk D backs

MRVegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're talking about Peyton Manning's season here and the title of the thread is "Is Peyton Manning having the greatest season of all time?" So we're not talking about the Broncos or the playoffs.

Since you don't feel that he's having the best season ever, who would you say did and why?

Well, I loved Mannings 2004 season, his Y/A was astronomical that year and he didn't even throw 500 passes.
What Marino did in 84 was unheard of and shocking at the time.
Brady lead Patriots in 07 to 16-0 while breaking records.

None of those 3 quite got in done in playoffs....If Manning doesn't get it done this year then i can't say this season was any better than those.

MRVegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see Broncos vs Seattle... if you haven't noticed - and just so you know I'd want Manning to Past those cocky Seahawk D backs

supposed to say paste the Seahawks...cant type

briz almighty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no. he didnt do anything special besides beat the overated chiefs twice.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I loved Mannings 2004 season, his Y/A was astronomical that year and he didn't even throw 500 passes.
What Marino did in 84 was unheard of and shocking at the time.
Brady lead Patriots in 07 to 16-0 while breaking records.

None of those 3 quite got in done in playoffs....If Manning doesn't get it done this year then i can't say this season was any better than those.

I assumed this was a given, but we're talking about regular season stats here. The postseason has nothing to do with regular season stats. I've never seen any stats that show more than 16 games for a season. That being the case, how does 48 TDs compare to 55? It doesn't. You don't have to win a Super Bowl to validate your regular season stats. For some reason you apply that to Peyton Manning but not Dan Marino or Tom Brady. The overt double standard that applies to Peyton Manning in an attempt to qualify or detract from what he's done really puzzles me.