• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Peyton Manning Sets Another All-Time Record

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Colts Patriots 2006. 349 and a TD in a gutsy win with a back and forth battle.

Besides. His Superbowl winning year is his worst post season statistically, proving the stats don't mean shit.

I'll give him credit for that one. He had a great game. Broke him into the top 5 of all time IMO.

And that doesn't mean stats don't mean shit; that's horribly dubious logic.

Also it wasn't his worst post season statistically; the year before against New England was. The other guys on my top-5 list never had a game that bad in the post season.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a team thing. But Peyton was the biggest factor in a lot of losses. I really don't think that can be easily disputed. Even last year, he pretty much handed away the winning score.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll give him credit for that one. He had a great game. Broke him into the top 5 of all time IMO.

And that doesn't mean stats don't mean shit; that's horribly dubious logic.

Also it wasn't his worst post season statistically; the year before against New England was. The other guys on my top-5 list never had a game that bad in the post season.

2006-2009 he was 6-1 in the post season.

So far with Broncos, he is 1-1 in the post season.

And he will be 2-1 come Sunday.

Bank on it.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a team thing. But Peyton was the biggest factor in a lot of losses. I really don't think that can be easily disputed. Even last year, he pretty much handed away the winning score.

That is ludicrous. There were so many chances to put the Ravens away before overtime and in it.

Defense gave up big play after big play in the 2nd half.

Eric Decker gets blatantly held on non called PI and the ball bounces off him for an easy pick 6.

Raheem Moore whiffs on the biggest play in Regulation.

Matt Prater misses a FG in regulation that would have put the game out of reach.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
2006-2009 he was 6-1 in the post season.

How can that be true? He lost both in 2007 & 2008 to the Chargers. That's already 2 losses. And if you count the Super Bowl he lost as 2009 (2009-2010 season), that's 3.

So far with Broncos, he is 1-1 in the post season.

And he will be 2-1 come Sunday.

Bank on it.

I hope you're right for my 49ers' sake. I don't want any part of Tom Brady in the post season.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is ludicrous. There were so many chances to put the Ravens away before overtime and in it.

Defense gave up big play after big play in the 2nd half.

Eric Decker gets blatantly held on non called PI and the ball bounces off him for an easy pick 6.

Raheem Moore whiffs on the biggest play in Regulation.

Matt Prater misses a FG in regulation that would have put the game out of reach.

The game was tied. The broncos were still in good shape to win. Peyton made an awful decision and the game was over.

Could they have won before that? Sure. But when they didn't, they were still in position to win. Which throw sealed the game?

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can that be true? He lost both in 2007 & 2008 to the Chargers. That's already 2 losses. And if you count the Super Bowl he lost as 2009 (2009-2010 season), that's 3.

I hope you're right for my 49ers' sake. I don't want any part of Tom Brady in the post season.

My bad, that is 6-1 in the 2006 and 2009 Super bowl runs. Just those 2 seasons.

I was quoting this article and did not get the quote right.

Yes, there were two long runs to Super Bowls in the 2006 and 2009 seasons, when Manning posted a combined 6-1 playoff record. And Broncos fans know Manning hardly seemed jittery or uptight in the 2003 and 2004 first-round playoff games, when he threw for a combined nine touchdowns while leading the Indianapolis Colts to 41 and 49 points against Denver at a time when 41 and 49 points meant something.

Read more: Peyton Manning's playoff performance gets picked off by perception - The Denver Post Peyton Manning's playoff performance gets picked off by perception - The Denver Post
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: Terms of Use - The Denver Post
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

Article makes a good point. The perception is skewed a bit.

He has had both a lot of post season success and failures, 10-11 now after last week, and to say he is a choke artist is simply not true.

Romo is a choke artist.

Last edited by a moderator:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I think the choker narrative is overstated. But when a guy makes a throw that ends the game for the other team I'm going to blame him.

cwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I think the choker narrative is overstated. But when a guy makes a throw that ends the game for the other team I'm going to blame him.

That's one throw in one game out of how many? I doubt you'd consider Brady's legacy ruined if he throws a pick 6 on Sunday.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was just the most recent loss. It's not a one time thing. He had the reputatation long before that, and for good reasons.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ridiculous. Broncos Defense still had an opportunity to stop them from getting into FG range in OT.

Maybe 10 other things happened in that game that if just ONE of them goes the other way, no OT and Broncos win.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
That's one throw in one game out of how many?

All it takes is one throw to choke. It's picky, but when you're comparing the all-time greats those few plays that are enormous mistakes make all the difference.

Manning's post-season performances have not lived up to his regular-season greatness. With some QBs that has not been the case. Montana, Aikman, Brady, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, etc (Ben's bad game in the SB he won notwithstanding).

As much as it pains me to say it, Steve Young was the same way. AMAZING in the regular season; not so amazing in the post season. Still one of the all-time greats.

Last edited by a moderator:

cwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was just the most recent loss. It's not a one time thing. He had the reputatation long before that, and for good reasons.

He has a HIGHER PASSER RATING than Brady in the playoffs. He's played better than Brady but on worse teams. I'm not going to hold that against him.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said there were other chances to win that game. But they were in position to win still. Then Peyton made a mindbogglingly dumb throw and handed the game away.

cwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said there were other chances to win that game. But they were in position to win still. Then Peyton made a mindbogglingly dumb throw and handed the game away.

And Peyton has a better playoff passer rating than Brady. Meaning he has played better over the course of every game but never had Belichick as coach.

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All it takes is one throw to choke. It's picky, but when you're comparing the all-time greats those few plays that are enormous mistakes make all the difference.

That is the stupidest thing I have ever read.

The only scenario where you couldevne come close, not unequivocally but close, that a bad play by one person is the reason for a loss is a missed XP or FG with time expiring.

Even then, one could argue that if the defense played better, or offense scored more points then the kicker would not be in that position.

What do you not get about it being a TEAM SPORT?

I weep for the future of this country. No one has the ability to think for themselves anymore.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has a HIGHER PASSER RATING than Brady in the playoffs. He's played better than Brady but on worse teams. I'm not going to hold that against him.

He's had better weapons by a long shot. He also has had the benefit of more wildcard blowouts against easier defenses. And it's still by about 1.

It's not about raw numbers, though. Numbers don't win games. Individual plays and when they happen win and lose games. If you watched both and their performances, and honestly think Peyton played better, I don't know what to tell you. There's a reason one has a reputation as clutch and one has the opposite, and it's not just records. It's because objectively watching them both play in the playoffs, one shines brighter.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
He has a HIGHER PASSER RATING than Brady in the playoffs.

Manning: 88.6

Brady: 87.2

Not exactly something either one can brag about over the other.

...By the way, Joe Montana's post season passer rating was 95.6 back when defense was still legal. :D

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You contradict yourself in that statement. Other chances to win, yet Manning is the one who choked?

The Broncos choked as a team.

Manning threw for 3 TDs and 299 yards.

I can count 6 specific plays that would have ended that game in regulation with a Broncos win.

Only a moron would place all the blame on Manning.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of those other plays handed away the losing score, though.