• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pete Rose ..25 Years in Exile

jeep99tj

If you don’t agree with me, don’t talk to me.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 224.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rose can go in after Shoeless Joe.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted to put Olbermann's take on here as he said a lot of what I said about a month or two ago. I think Rose has a gambling problem and Gambling addiction is not accepted by society as a illness. I don't think Pete Rose is the smartest person in the world and I believe he might need help and it's tough to see him in Vegas all day signing autographs to survive. There is no doubt he made a huge blunder as a manager but as a player he deserves to go in the HOF. I would like to see him back in baseball which he loves...I have no doubt about that. I hope he gets help for his addiction and maybe if he does that baseball might understand a little more and forgive him and give him another chance. I don't think he should manage anymore but he loves helping players get better everyday by talking on the phone to them. There is still room for Rose in baseball somewhere and there is still room in our hearts for forgiveness.

I think many that are reasonable understand that an addiction (for alcohol, gambling, sex, etc) is a problem that could happen to anyone. What I think irks a lot of people is that he lied about it for 15-20 years...being a liar isn't a "disease."

Last edited by a moderator:

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted to put Olbermann's take on here as he said a lot of what I said about a month or two ago. I think Rose has a gambling problem and Gambling addiction is not accepted by society as a illness. I don't think Pete Rose is the smartest person in the world and I believe he might need help and it's tough to see him in Vegas all day signing autographs to survive. There is no doubt he made a huge blunder as a manager but as a player he deserves to go in the HOF. I would like to see him back in baseball which he loves...I have no doubt about that. I hope he gets help for his addiction and maybe if he does that baseball might understand a little more and forgive him and give him another chance. I don't think he should manage anymore but he loves helping players get better everyday by talking on the phone to them. There is still room for Rose in baseball somewhere and there is still room in our hearts for forgiveness.
:bullshit:
TMZ claims just sold his home near LA for nearly $2million, about double what he paid for it (actually not a great return considering he held it for 15 years).
Pete Rose -- Gambles On Real Estate ... PAYS OFF HUGE!! | TMZ.com
Pete is also partway through a 5 year contract to sign merchandise in Vegas that is described as "multimillion dollar" and is said to have earned $1million signing in his best year.
Pete Rose signs multi-million dollar extension to sign autographs in Las Vegas | MLB | Sporting News
Pete is way beyond "surviving".

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. You treat Olbermann as if he is a respectable journalist. He's not.
2. Unfortunately, Rose the player and Rose the manager are one and the same person. You can't separate them for HOF purposes.
3. There is room for Rose in baseball, IMO, if he speaks out as a completely repentant gambling addict who admits he has done more to harm the game than anyone in baseball ever has, perhaps even more than those involved in the Black Sox scandal of 1919. I could begin to forgive him on that basis, but only if he puts his 110% Charley Hustle, walk-thru-fire-in-a-gasoline-suit effort into speaking out about the damage a player and/or manager can do if he gambles on baseball. Then there will be room in my heart for forgiveness, but there should NEVER be room for him in the HOF, even after he dies.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. You treat Olbermann as if he is a respectable journalist. He's not.
2. Unfortunately, Rose the player and Rose the manager are one and the same person. You can't separate them for HOF purposes.
3. There is room for Rose in baseball, IMO, if he speaks out as a completely repentant gambling addict who admits he has done more to harm the game than anyone in baseball ever has, perhaps even more than those involved in the Black Sox scandal of 1919. I could begin to forgive him on that basis, but only if he puts his 110% Charley Hustle, walk-thru-fire-in-a-gasoline-suit effort into speaking out about the damage a player and/or manager can do if he gambles on baseball. Then there will be room in my heart for forgiveness, but there should NEVER be room for him in the HOF, even after he dies.

I agree 99%.

I think the conversation can and should be had about his HOF eligibility after he dies. While I understand your stance about keeping him out regardless (and do not necessarily disagree), I think the discussion should be had once he has paid his debt to baseball (lifetime ban).

The arguments about Jackson and Weaver still not being in are legit arguments, and I have never heard serious arguments as to why they are not in yet. They have both served their sentences in full, so should be considered.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, the point is made waiting for him to die. But he should be in there.

Though if you put him in you gotta put Shoeless Joe in too.

I disagree (about Joe) - he (and others) either tried to throw games during the world series, or knew it was going on and did nothing about it. Shoeless Joe should never get in.

Rose gambled on baseball, but there's no proof I have heard of that he threw any games. He agreed to a lifetime ban, and that's what he should get. I think he should go in after his death, and part of the display in the hall should talk about his gambling and why he was not inducted during his lifetime.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree (about Joe) - he (and others) either tried to throw games during the world series, or knew it was going on and did nothing about it. Shoeless Joe should never get in.

Rose gambled on baseball, but there's no proof I have heard of that he threw any games. He agreed to a lifetime ban, and that's what he should get. I think he should go in after his death, and part of the display in the hall should talk about his gambling and why he was not inducted during his lifetime.

It's very possible that if they re-opened the investigation, they could prove that he did bet on games.

ROSE-PROBE BOMBSHELL ? DOWD HAD EVIDENCE PETE BET AGAINST REDS; ROSE EXPOSED -PROBER: HE LIKELY WAGERED AGAINST THE REDS | New York Post

John Dowd, who wrote the damning report that led to Pete Rose’s expulsion from baseball 13 years ago, said the report was not as damning as it could have been.

The Washington D.C.-based lawyer revealed yesterday that if the investigation would have continued a little longer it would have shown the all-time hit leader not only bet on Reds’ games, but actually bet against the team he was managing.

Dowd, who investigated Rose for Commissioners Peter Ueberroth and Bart Giamatti in 1989, said the time constraints to get his examination finished and try to stem a matter that was soiling the sport, forced him to stop pursuing certain avenues. Thus, the official Dowd Report states: “no evidence was discovered that Rose bet against the Cincinnati Reds.”

However, Dowd said he had reliable evidence that Rose indeed bet against his team and was “close” to being able to officially put it into his report, but was prevented by the need to get the report done quickly.

Just thinking it through, Rose's reputation was already ruined because it was exposed he gambled on baseball. If he had nothing else to hide, why'd he want the investigation ended immediately and agreed to a lifetime ban to end it immediately?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's very possible that if they re-opened the investigation, they could prove that he did bet on games.

ROSE-PROBE BOMBSHELL ? DOWD HAD EVIDENCE PETE BET AGAINST REDS; ROSE EXPOSED -PROBER: HE LIKELY WAGERED AGAINST THE REDS | New York Post

John Dowd, who wrote the damning report that led to Pete Rose’s expulsion from baseball 13 years ago, said the report was not as damning as it could have been.

The Washington D.C.-based lawyer revealed yesterday that if the investigation would have continued a little longer it would have shown the all-time hit leader not only bet on Reds’ games, but actually bet against the team he was managing.

Dowd, who investigated Rose for Commissioners Peter Ueberroth and Bart Giamatti in 1989, said the time constraints to get his examination finished and try to stem a matter that was soiling the sport, forced him to stop pursuing certain avenues. Thus, the official Dowd Report states: “no evidence was discovered that Rose bet against the Cincinnati Reds.”

However, Dowd said he had reliable evidence that Rose indeed bet against his team and was “close” to being able to officially put it into his report, but was prevented by the need to get the report done quickly.

Just thinking it through, Rose's reputation was already ruined because it was exposed he gambled on baseball. If he had nothing else to hide, why'd he want the investigation ended immediately and agreed to a lifetime ban to end it immediately?

Bingo. Plus, I believe it came out in this report that Rose owed his bookie like $200k, which was more than he had at that time. That made him vulnerable to a potential extortion. The bookie could ask him to throw a game as a payment on that $200k, and even be constantly on the hook for that.

What Rose did was incredibly stupid and damaging to baseball. IMO, a mere lifetime ban isn't good enough. His name should not be associated with the HOF in any capacity, forever. Future generations should not see his plaque there as if he had done nothing wrong.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bingo. Plus, I believe it came out in this report that Rose owed his bookie like $200k, which was more than he had at that time. That made him vulnerable to a potential extortion. The bookie could ask him to throw a game as a payment on that $200k, and even be constantly on the hook for that.

What Rose did was incredibly stupid and damaging to baseball. IMO, a mere lifetime ban isn't good enough. His name should not be associated with the HOF in any capacity, forever. Future generations should not see his plaque there as if he had done nothing wrong.

WAY too harsh for me, man. Relax.
The plaque won't ignore this stuff you can count on that. Be a necessary condition to get the HOF floks on board.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that there's new evidence that's surfaced, yeah.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that there's new evidence that's surfaced, yeah.
I wonder if this is the evidence that Dowd supposedly had at the time that caused Rose to accept the ban. It looks like this is BRAND NEW evidence, so I dont think it is. That just means that there is more out there that has not been released.

Good ball player, but if he did not have baseball in his 20s and 30s, he would have been a used car salesman.

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HOF player...Period.

Reactions: GNG

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is Pete Rose played to win and he always played hard. HOF player.

Reactions: GNG

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rose knew the rules where you work if there id a rule this big and you violate it you will suffer and it would be you're own fault.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooperstown should just open up a cheaters wing of the HOF. Okay sure cheating has always been part of the game but the list could start w/ Shoeless Joe Jackson & Charlie Hustle since they aren't in there & got caught. And in that same wing should be any **Steroid Era** player w/ the right #'s. Shouldn't matter that Palmerio (spelling?) shook his finger @ anyone that would listen that he didn't cheat. Or how Sammy Sosa forgot how to speak English when questioned.

And make it colorful. Instead of serious busts they should have funny cartoon drawings instead. Charlie Hustle could be holding a betting slip in the batters box. A Rod could be holding a syringe instead of a bat. Clemens would be shouting..."YOU MISREMEMBERED!!" while throwing a strike.

Okay, I'm very bored right now.

Last edited:

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The HOF will never be a complete museum until all the stories are told...good and unsettling as they can be. Until they open all the closets of all the players inducted or not they are all hypocrites and phony's running a rich country club for the select few. The future visitors deserve the whole story and the best players should be inducted period. If you want to make a steroid wing so be it.but the story must be told You can not sweep it under a rug..it happened and they are missing a opportunity to teach kids the mistakes these players made so that kids will not repeat the past mistakes of players who bent the rules. They want it as a church and it's not..it's a museum for the best and some who cheated were some of the best..like it or not.

Pete made a huge mistake but the numbers are there and he did not do some of the things that others inducted did. Who decides who is worthy and do they have the right to judge another man. It's a fucking museum..Rich bastards who think they are pure are better are far worse in my mind. Yeah I said it. Hypocrites !

Last edited:

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two more things...baseball went on making money off Rose's name after he was banned. Bullshit Hypocrites...

If I was Rose I would tell them all to get fucked and take all my stuff back that is in the Hall right now..that the museum is making money off his name and gear. I say fuck them...stick it up their ass.