• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Utah DB 7th fastest man in the world...

PSUTE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at 60 meter dash...

NOTE TO SOME HOOPLANS: Not just a link, but the actual meat of the article. Posters are a lazy bunch...

Utah Football's Javelin K Guidry back on the track running again

Almost as fast as a starter pistol firing off to start a race, Utah's star defensive back Javelin K. Guidrymade headlines in the Utah sports world last weekend.

The sophomore starter stepped foot again on the field - this time it was on the track and not the football field. After deciding to call it a career after his senior track season in high school, Guidry surprised many to not only compete in the UW Invitational, and to not only win the 60-meter race, but he ran such a great time that he is now tied for the seventh fastest time in the entire world, according to IAAF, at 6.59 seconds.

What's crazy about this is that Guidry competed with only about two weeks of preparation before the competition. Make no mistake, this wasn't a spur-of-the-moment "lets do it" decision on a whim. This is something the star nickelback had been thinking about for some time now.

"He and his dad had been talking about it for a couple months, actually. The tricky part initially was just figuring out how he would re-enter the track world," Guidry's mother, Dr. Kaishauna Guidry, said in an interview with UteZone. Fortunately, the process wasn't all too difficult as Guidry's father, Javelin also explained. "Once he decided he wanted to do it, me as a parent, I was all for it. I had to contact the meet director at the UW Invitational, and really the only thing they asked for were his previous track times from the Arcadia Invitationals, where he still holds track records from when he last ran in 2017."

After expressing to his parents that he wanted to run again, mother and father both expressed a little bit of shock initially. "I think we were both kind of surprised, when he won his last meet in high school, he said he was done running and when he said that he was done, I was just like, 'Okay, I guess.' So we bagged up his spikes and all of his medals and trophies just put it all away and that was the end of that."

However, that reactionary emotion quickly evolved into figuring out the steps of getting him back in the blocks. "For him, it was just something that he realized he missed, you know seeing guys run, and reflecting back on his career, it was just something he realized he wanted to do. As parent's, knowing it's something he's passionate about and loves to do, for us it was going through all the logistics to make it happen for him."

As one can expect with being a member of college football program, the parents weren't the only ones supportive - and surprised - of his decision. "The coaches were actually really supportive. Jav talked to coach Shah and coach Whittingham, both very aware of his speed and running ability, and you know I think they maybe were a little surprised too, but they've always been very supportive of his track career. Thinking back to high school, after he committed and signed, as he's finishing up his senior year and he's competing, they were always giving their support, sending those edits and all that kind of stuff, which was really neat to see. They were very supportive then, and they were even supportive of his decision to compete now. You know, and everything transpired just over the last couple weeks, which makes it even more amazing," Dr. Guidry said.

Guidry only really had about two weeks of dedicated training before his competition this past weekend. Almost as soon as Utah's bowl game was over, Guidry went to work to get himself as ready as he possibly could, and it wasn't easy, as his father explained, he did it almost entirely by himself. "It was all him really. He did have his former track coach while we were in Texas, send him a list of workouts to do for the week. He had to increase his core work, that was the emphasis of the workouts with like sit-ups and push-ups. The hard part was that he had to do it all on his own, he didn't have anyone pushing him and coaching him up on the blocks or talking about his splits, it was just all on his own." Not only that, Jav would go to the local high school with his sister, borrowing the blocks from the school and would run on his own. "He had to get used to the blocks again, he forgot what it was like to explode out of the blocks, and had to get used to it again. He also had to get used to new spikes, he didn't want to dust off the old ones for some reason," Guidry Sr. said.
During the competition, the excitement and emotion was... running high.

After Javelin K. Guidry sprinted across the finish line with a confirmed time of 6.59 seconds, the reaction from parents and coaches was outstanding.

Now that he's found a way to compete, this won't be the last time you'll see Guidry on the track field. Even though he's qualified for the events, he's not able to compete in the NCAA championships as an "unattached" runner. However, he is able to and will compete in the USA's Indoor Track and Field Championships in New York, February 23rd-24th. There he'll have the opportunity to compete against the nation's best, and there's plenty of optimism from the Guidry's. "If he can run the 6th fastest time after just two weeks training, he definitely feels that with more training, he'll be able to compete with the best."

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too much meat. I want some potato

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unlike other Nebraska fans, I actually read stuff.

Congrats to him.

Maybe Utah will use him ass a punt returner/kick returner or is the reason he is a DB is because he can't catch?

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where's @OregonDucks to help me make sense of all of this?

He's the resident PAC12 speed expert.

KingKoolKat75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,750.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at 60 meter dash...

NOTE TO SOME HOOPLANS: Not just a link, but the actual meat of the article. Posters are a lazy bunch...

Utah Football's Javelin K Guidry back on the track running again

Almost as fast as a starter pistol firing off to start a race, Utah's star defensive back Javelin K. Guidrymade headlines in the Utah sports world last weekend.

The sophomore starter stepped foot again on the field - this time it was on the track and not the football field. After deciding to call it a career after his senior track season in high school, Guidry surprised many to not only compete in the UW Invitational, and to not only win the 60-meter race, but he ran such a great time that he is now tied for the seventh fastest time in the entire world, according to IAAF, at 6.59 seconds.

What's crazy about this is that Guidry competed with only about two weeks of preparation before the competition. Make no mistake, this wasn't a spur-of-the-moment "lets do it" decision on a whim. This is something the star nickelback had been thinking about for some time now.

"He and his dad had been talking about it for a couple months, actually. The tricky part initially was just figuring out how he would re-enter the track world," Guidry's mother, Dr. Kaishauna Guidry, said in an interview with UteZone. Fortunately, the process wasn't all too difficult as Guidry's father, Javelin also explained. "Once he decided he wanted to do it, me as a parent, I was all for it. I had to contact the meet director at the UW Invitational, and really the only thing they asked for were his previous track times from the Arcadia Invitationals, where he still holds track records from when he last ran in 2017."

After expressing to his parents that he wanted to run again, mother and father both expressed a little bit of shock initially. "I think we were both kind of surprised, when he won his last meet in high school, he said he was done running and when he said that he was done, I was just like, 'Okay, I guess.' So we bagged up his spikes and all of his medals and trophies just put it all away and that was the end of that."

However, that reactionary emotion quickly evolved into figuring out the steps of getting him back in the blocks. "For him, it was just something that he realized he missed, you know seeing guys run, and reflecting back on his career, it was just something he realized he wanted to do. As parent's, knowing it's something he's passionate about and loves to do, for us it was going through all the logistics to make it happen for him."

As one can expect with being a member of college football program, the parents weren't the only ones supportive - and surprised - of his decision. "The coaches were actually really supportive. Jav talked to coach Shah and coach Whittingham, both very aware of his speed and running ability, and you know I think they maybe were a little surprised too, but they've always been very supportive of his track career. Thinking back to high school, after he committed and signed, as he's finishing up his senior year and he's competing, they were always giving their support, sending those edits and all that kind of stuff, which was really neat to see. They were very supportive then, and they were even supportive of his decision to compete now. You know, and everything transpired just over the last couple weeks, which makes it even more amazing," Dr. Guidry said.

Guidry only really had about two weeks of dedicated training before his competition this past weekend. Almost as soon as Utah's bowl game was over, Guidry went to work to get himself as ready as he possibly could, and it wasn't easy, as his father explained, he did it almost entirely by himself. "It was all him really. He did have his former track coach while we were in Texas, send him a list of workouts to do for the week. He had to increase his core work, that was the emphasis of the workouts with like sit-ups and push-ups. The hard part was that he had to do it all on his own, he didn't have anyone pushing him and coaching him up on the blocks or talking about his splits, it was just all on his own." Not only that, Jav would go to the local high school with his sister, borrowing the blocks from the school and would run on his own. "He had to get used to the blocks again, he forgot what it was like to explode out of the blocks, and had to get used to it again. He also had to get used to new spikes, he didn't want to dust off the old ones for some reason," Guidry Sr. said.
During the competition, the excitement and emotion was... running high.

After Javelin K. Guidry sprinted across the finish line with a confirmed time of 6.59 seconds, the reaction from parents and coaches was outstanding.

Now that he's found a way to compete, this won't be the last time you'll see Guidry on the track field. Even though he's qualified for the events, he's not able to compete in the NCAA championships as an "unattached" runner. However, he is able to and will compete in the USA's Indoor Track and Field Championships in New York, February 23rd-24th. There he'll have the opportunity to compete against the nation's best, and there's plenty of optimism from the Guidry's. "If he can run the 6th fastest time after just two weeks training, he definitely feels that with more training, he'll be able to compete with the best."

Did he do with helmet ,pads and cleats? And a WR trying take his head off.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL at naming your kid Javelin.
Let me introduce you to my sons ShotPut and HammerThrow and their sister, Discus.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL at naming your kid Javelin.

1971_AMC_Javelin_SST_red_Kenosha_street.JPG

PSUTE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unlike other Nebraska fans, I actually read stuff.

Congrats to him.

Maybe Utah will use him ass a punt returner/kick returner or is the reason he is a DB is because he can't catch?

No idea of his catching ability. Kind of wondered the same thing...

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why isn’t he playing in the SEC?

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a Cliff Notes version of the OP?

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guy's a DB competed in 60 meter dash at invitational meet, tied for the 7th fastest time ever in that event...
^^^This guy has potential. Will keep an eye out.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw Usain Bolt a couple days ago tied the NFL 40 yard dash record while running with half effort in tennis shoes.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guy's a DB competed in 60 meter dash at invitational meet, tied for the 7th fastest time ever in that event...
^^^This guy has potential. Will keep an eye out.