• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penner/Malone getting a tryout?

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think?

IMO-1 year deals at a low price,couldn't hurt.

Former Washington Capital Dustin Penner, and the recently maligned Tampa Bay winger Ryan Malone may be headed to Philadelphia on a try out basis. Bill Meltzer of HockeyBuzz.com is reporting that Ron Hextall has declined to comment on the matter. So for right now, these are just rumors and nothing more.

Penner is 31 years old and in the declining stages of his career. But the mammoth 240 lb power forward is still an asset on the ice in the right situation. Whether you love or hate his aloof personality, Penner has consistently pushed the puck possession needle in the right direction. At his size, he's nearly impossible to separate from the puck and can still be an effective net front presence. Though his lack of production in recent years is troubling, there is some evidence to suggest that he's been the victim of some unlucky shooting percentages and a lack of ice time.

Malone is an outright reclamation project. The 34 year old power forward was arrested just last April for possession of cocaine and driving under the influence and saw his contract bought out by Steve Yzerman and the Lightning. Despite the off-ice shenanigans, Malone can still contribute to an NHL team. At this stage of his career, Malone is no longer a big point producer. He would slot perfectly into a checking role with Sean Couturier and has a similar physical style to Steve Downie.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how much either has got left in the tank, but they could work as 4th liners.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umberger - Giroux - Voracek
Raffl - Lacavalier - Simmonds
Rinaldo - Schenn - Read
Penner - Couturier - White

?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Dustin Penner, in the right situation he could be a guy that could give them a legitimate big body who can control the puck - they need that

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Penner would be worth a 1 year super cheap contract. I think he'd be a better hartnell replacement than anybody else on the roster. I'd be willing to take a cheap risk on him. Not sure Berube will feel the same though if Penner is in his typical, round, condition.

No thanks to Malone.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malone is cooked. Yes to Penner especially if it's the end of Rinaldo

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Penner would be worth a 1 year super cheap contract. I think he'd be a better hartnell replacement than anybody else on the roster. I'd be willing to take a cheap risk on him. Not sure Berube will feel the same though if Penner is in his typical, round, condition.

No thanks to Malone.

Chief might have an aneurysm dealing with him and his condition lol