• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Penguins offseason thread

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:hellno:Sid was not conn smythe winner......Murray should have been hands down!

Congrats:clap:

Sullivan took-over and made the Pens winners, the pens now have the goalie they always needed to get the cup. I said it was a goalie situation years ago and Sullivan saw it right away.

Thanks stealth!

I don't agree about the Conn either, but I'd personally have given it to Letang. He scored the game winner and assisted on a couple game winners in the SCF as well. I think him or Kessel should have the two the award came down to. I see your point with Murray, but the team really did an excellent job of insulating the goalie after the coaching change. In fact, all three goalies played in the post-season, and contributed in their own ways. It was a team effort from the top to the bottom of the lineup.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I told you TB was beatable......San Jose IS a different story!
You gotta admit, Lightning turned out to be better than the Sharks in the end. Lightning gave us the most problems because they were almost like us (impressive considering they were without Stamkos).

Their Triplets line vs our HBK line was probably the greatest line matchup of the entire playoffs.

Andrei Vasilevskiy was the best goalie we faced (and we went up against guys like Henrik Lundqvist, Braden Holtby, & Martin Jones).

If they had gone to the SCF, I think they would've done to the Sharks what we did to the Sharks.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally disagree....First of all Hank and Holtby haven't won anything in the postseason except moving to a next round (not really a measurement variable in the topic). Second Vlasic was hurt for the Sharks and Ben Bishop is starting to look like a postseason letdown. Sharks would have beaten TB and possibly by the same margin IMO

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally disagree....First of all Hank and Holtby haven't won anything in the postseason except moving to a next round (not really a measurement variable in the topic). Second Vlasic was hurt for the Sharks and Ben Bishop is starting to look like a postseason letdown. Sharks would have beaten TB and possibly by the same margin IMO
Ok stealth.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok stealth.

Not taking anything away from Pitt, they were the better team. But the TB analogy,.... the way I see it Pitt would have won that series earlier but they had to give Murray a rest, the series back up goalie(s) lost and won a game. What im saying if Murray didn't need a rest the Pens would have won that series sooner than 7

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not taking anything away from Pitt, they were the better team. But the TB analogy,.... the way I see it Pitt would have won that series earlier but they had to give Murray a rest, the series back up goalie(s) lost and won a game. What im saying if Murray didn't need a rest the Pens would have won that series sooner than 7
Rest from what??? They never played back to back games and when they switched cities 2 days off instead of 1. A schedule that got even more ridicules in the Finals, although at least there was a weak West Coast/East Coast travel reason for it..

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lightning were without Stamkos tho. In spite of that, they still took us to 7 & almost eliminated us twice. No team we faced gave us the scare the Lightning did.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rest from what??? They never played back to back games and when they switched cities 2 days off instead of 1. A schedule that got even more ridicules in the Finals, although at least there was a weak West Coast/East Coast travel reason for it..

nobody said anything about back to back games...go read the post again.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK, I thought it went without saying that the Lightning were the best team we faced, but that's the great thing about hockey: no 2 fans ever agree 100%

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK, I thought it went without saying that the Lightning were the best team we faced, but that's the great thing about hockey: no 2 fans ever agree 100%

Hard to quantify 'best', i suppose. All four of their opponent's presented different styles. I'd say Tampa's style was probably the style that gave them the best chance of the four to go toe to toe with how the Pens were playing. If I had to say which team was the best just on talent, it's hard not to say it was the Sharks. They suffered a pretty big blow when Hertl was injured.

One thing none of the four the Pens faced could contain, IMO, was that Pittsburgh could role four lines, and there was no where an opponent could hide either a 3rd pair of d-men, or a 4th line. None of them had an answer for that.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to quantify 'best', i suppose. All four of their opponent's presented different styles. I'd say Tampa's style was probably the style that gave them the best chance of the four to go toe to toe with how the Pens were playing. If I had to say which team was the best just on talent, it's hard not to say it was the Sharks. They suffered a pretty big blow when Hertl was injured.

One thing none of the four the Pens faced could contain, IMO, was that Pittsburgh could role four lines, and there was no where an opponent could hide either a 3rd pair of d-men, or a 4th line. None of them had an answer for that.
As good as Hertl is, he's not as good as Stamkos. Lightning were the only team that could keep up with our speed, that's what make them better than all our other opponents IMO. But like I said, not gonna say anyone is wrong, but the Lightning were the one team we faced that scared me the whole series.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of top-to-bottom talent, I think the Caps were the best team we played. It was just a terrible stylistic matchup for them. A team like that can only be exploited by speed, and speed is what the Pens had in spades.

I think the Lightning posed a unique challenge, but really, if not for Vasilevskiy playing out of his mind, they wouldn't have much been in that series. I don't know that having Stamkos would have changed that.

So really, the Caps were the only complete team who really at all hung with the Pens. Tampa and San Jose mostly hung in there because their goalies were so good, but the skaters were usually outplayed (sometimes by large margins) by those in black and gold.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of top-to-bottom talent, I think the Caps were the best team we played. It was just a terrible stylistic matchup for them. A team like that can only be exploited by speed, and speed is what the Pens had in spades.

I think the Lightning posed a unique challenge, but really, if not for Vasilevskiy playing out of his mind, they wouldn't have much been in that series. I don't know that having Stamkos would have changed that.

So really, the Caps were the only complete team who really at all hung with the Pens. Tampa and San Jose mostly hung in there because their goalies were so good, but the skaters were usually outplayed (sometimes by large margins) by those in black and gold.
Thought the Caps got a lot of help from the refs. Otherwise, I thought we dominated them in every game except for game 5. Maybe I'm bias tho, I never had any respect for the Caps.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NHL awards ceremony is tonight,

Hart Memorial Trophy
Jamie Benn (Dallas Stars)
Sidney Crosby (Pittsburgh Penguins)
Patrick Kane (Chicago Blackhawks)
Doob's pick: Jamie Benn

Vezina Trophy
Ben Bishop (Tampa Bay Lightning)
Braden Holtby (Washington Capitals)
Jonathan Quick (Los Angeles Kings)
Doob's pick: Braden Holtby

James Norris Memorial Trophy
Brent Burns (San Jose Sharks)
Drew Doughty (Los Angeles Kings)
Erik Karlsson (Ottawa Senators)
Doob's pick: Erik Karlsson

Lady Byng Memorial Trophy
Aleksander Barkov (Florida Panthers)
Loui Eriksson (Boston Bruins)
Anze Kopitar (Los Angeles Kings)
Doob's pick: who cares?

Frank J. Selke Trophy
Patrice Bergeron (Boston Bruins)
Ryan Kesler (Anaheim Ducks)
Anze Kopitar (Los Angeles Kings)
Doob's pick: Anze Kopitar

Jack Adams Award
Gerard Gallant (Florida Panthers)
Lindy Ruff (Dallas Stars)
Barry Trotz (Washington Capitals)
Doob's pick: Gerard Gallant

Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy
Pascal Dupuis (Pittsburgh Penguins)
Jaromir Jagr (Florida Panthers)
Mats Zuccarello (New York Rangers)
Doob's pick: Pascal Dupuis

Ted Lindsay Award
Jamie Benn (Dallas Stars)
Braden Holtby (Washington Capitals)
Patrick Kane (Chicago Blackhawks)
Doob's pick: Patrick Kane

Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award
Alexander Ovechkin (Washington Capitals)
John Tavares (New York Islanders)
Shea Weber (Nashville Predators)
Doob's pick: Alexander Ovechkin (but he doesn't deserve it)

NHL Foundation Player Award
Mark Giordano (Calgary Flames)
Matt Martin (New York Islanders)
PK Subban (Montreal Canadiens)
Doob's pick: PK Subban

NHL General Manager of the Year Award
Brian MacLellan (Washington Capitals)
Jim Nill (Dallas Stars)
Jim Rutherford (Pittsburgh Penguins)
Doob's pick: Jim Rutherford