• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pelini Hates Signing Day

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bo Pelini wants to get rid of National Signing Day - CBSSports.com

Lately there have been a lot of college football coaches campaigning to get an early signing day for recruiting, but Nebraska's Bo Pelini wants to take things a bit further.

Pelini doesn't want an early signing day, he just wants to get rid of National Signing Day. Period.

"If somebody has offered a kid, let him sign, it's over," Pelini told ESPN.com. "That will stop some of the things that are happening -- people just throwing out offers, some of them with really no intention of taking a kid.

"Make [the offer] mean something. People will be like, 'Whoa, I've got to take this kid now.' It will slow things down for the kids, for the institutions. There will be less mistakes. Why does there have to be one specific day? And it will get rid of some of the stuff that goes on, kids pulling the hats and so forth."

Pelini also added that he believes players should be allowed to be released from their letters of intent should there be a coaching change.

Whether or not Pelini's, or any other coaches idea, will eventually be adopted as a new rule in recruiting, I don't know. The only thing I do know is that, no matter what any coach tells you about why they want an earlier signing period, it's not for the players.

Coaches want to be able to get kids to commit earlier so they don't have to keep recruiting them. It's about less work for the coaches, not about making life easier for the players. And that's fine, I certainly don't blame the coaches for feeling that way. I'd rather spend my time coaching football then texting high school kids all day too.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether or not Pelini's, or any other coaches idea, will eventually be adopted as a new rule in recruiting, I don't know. The only thing I do know is that, no matter what any coach tells you about why they want an earlier signing period, it's not for the players.

Coaches want to be able to get kids to commit earlier so they don't have to keep recruiting them. It's about less work for the coaches, not about making life easier for the players. And that's fine, I certainly don't blame the coaches for feeling that way. I'd rather spend my time coaching football then texting high school kids all day too.

I agree that this helps the coaches out a lot, but there is a benefit for the players as well. They are kids trying to make a decision, and even after they have committed, they have people continue to call trying to get them to flip. That's a lot of pressure to put on a kid deciding something that will affect the rest of their career/future. Also, he has a point that it would make an offer mean more if the kid can just sign right away, so schools would make sure that if they offer, they really want a kid. It would avoid those stupid stories we hear about certain schools offering freaking 8th graders and other BS.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
National signing day is just so bizarre. It's not natural, it's not healthy, it's not good for anyone involved.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with him. It will keep kids from committing to certain lower tiered schools just for publicity in hopes of getting a bigger offer as well. Good for college football in general IMO. Make the coaches earn their paychecks and just offer the kids they really want, and make the kids honor their word and also pick a school for the schools merits and not as a contingency plan. If you want to "soft commit" and not sign then go ahead, but we only have 1 spot and will keep recruiting some other kid that may jump on board tomorrow.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got to go with Bo on this the National Signing Day has become an embarrassment to society as a whole. However if I was a coach at a major program I wouldn't have made that opinion public though.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate the prick and he's a complete son of a bitch, but Pelini is right on this one. The reason we see so much show boating is b/c of National Signing Day when the media gives these kids the spotlight of making a big deal about signing their scholarship. Nothing worse than listening to some kid who can't even speak the English language correctly try on multiple caps then trying to pronounce which he school he chooses.

TROJAN-MAN

Been around the block more times than the mailman
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate the prick and he's a complete son of a bitch, but Pelini is right on this one. The reason we see so much show boating is b/c of National Signing Day when the media gives these kids the spotlight of making a big deal about signing their scholarship. Nothing worse than listening to some kid who can't even speak the English language correctly try on multiple caps then trying to pronounce which he school he chooses.[/QUOTE

I agree, it a freaking circus, if you want to go to a school, be man and say so. So many of these turds are nothing more, " than little turds"

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, agreed.

So fucking cheezy watching those kids with the hats and what not

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They really should start airing those hat picks on MTV.

They would be right at home there.

Blackshirt

Who is Mike Riley?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my honest opinion if the kid is making a big publicity stunt over what school he is picking, I don't want him to pick my team. Just shows hes more likely into himself and stats rather than the team and championships/W's.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the only thing it accomplishes is putting a stop to that ridiculous "3 hat thing" and it's more recent an no less annoying addition: "I'm taking my talents to....." (thanks for that Lebron), it's well worth it.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn kids are all misguided too.

The parents that allow their kids to go through with that bullshit oughta be dragged aside and slapped.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my honest opinion if the kid is making a big publicity stunt over what school he is picking, I don't want him to pick my team. Just shows hes more likely into himself and stats rather than the team and championships/W's.

I'll take every 5 star out there that drives up in a limo and does the hat shuffle...but still think their idiots.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Signing Day Hates Pelini

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take every 5 star out there that drives up in a limo and does the hat shuffle...but still think their idiots.

And I say we let Auburn get their hands on every 5 star possible (Outside of Cam Newton, which was a JUCO, and was originally a 4 star recruit that landed at Florida)

2011: Kris Frost
2010: Shone Coleman, Michael Dyer
2009: none
2008: Raven Gray
2007: none
2006: Greg Smith
2005: Tray Blackmon
2004: Brandon Jacobs
2003: Ben Obomanu

The stats and accolades those guys have put up at Auburn couldn't fill an ashtray in a 1978 Pinto.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shon Coleman - Just beat cancer and will probably start at right tackle this year.
Michael Dyer - Won MVP in the national championship game
Brandon Jacobs - Couldn't break into the lineup with Cadillac and Ronnie Brown but loves Auburn and had a great pro career.
Tray Blackmon - Pretty much single handed won the Florida game Teabow's freshman year when they won the NC.
Ben Obomanu - Was our go to receiver in 2004 and was awesome

So you got three bust on that list. BTW have you guys signed any 5 stars lately I went back the last 2 years but didn't see any.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shon Coleman - Just beat cancer and will probably start at right tackle this year.
Michael Dyer - Won MVP in the national championship game
Brandon Jacobs - Couldn't break into the lineup with Cadillac and Ronnie Brown but loves Auburn and had a great pro career.
Tray Blackmon - Pretty much single handed won the Florida game Teabow's freshman year when they won the NC.
Ben Obomanu - Was our go to receiver in 2004 and was awesome

So you got three bust on that list. BTW have you guys signed any 5 stars lately I went back the last 2 years but didn't see any.

Awesome.

Can you post their All Conference accomplishments and statistics while they played for Auburn? I mean, 5 star guys are "can't miss guys".

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome.

Can you post their All Conference accomplishments and statistics while they played for Auburn? I mean, 5 star guys are "can't miss guys".

Statistically speaking they have a higher rate of success and making it to the pros so yeah it's a good idea for you to sign them. If you are arguing it's not....well then good luck with that.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Statistically speaking they have a higher rate of success and making it to the pros so yeah it's a good idea for you to sign them. If you are arguing it's not....well then good luck with that.

Who cares about their NFL careers, what did they do to win games for Auburn?

If the point is to get players to Auburn to make them NFL players, well then congrats....I guess.

Shouldn't any recruiting system be to recruit players to win games at your school?