• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft Day

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Macdermid to avs for a 4th.....seems like la coulda done something easy to keep him.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Macdermid to avs for a 4th.....seems like la coulda done something easy to keep him.

They could have for sure, but with what was available from LA they were never going to lose anything of significance. I actually happen to like him, he took a lot of heat this last season but he kept players honest and was the only semblance of toughness on the team.

Frankly I'm over the jerking off over draft picks in LA, it's been 4 years and 5 drafts for Bowlby. This team needs to show improvement and that is not going to happen with the continual collection of picks like they are going out of style.

Not one of the draft picks - no matte what round - since 2017 has established themself as an everyday player on an NHL team and a crappy one to boot at that. Meanwhile Nicas, Suzuki, Chytil and Thomas are contributing to their teams and were all taken after The Legend up to number 20/21, no one from the 2019 draft.

I'm not sure what's going on in the front office of LA but this is such a huge summer for Blake to do something. Otherwise I believe his job should be on the line.

Last edited:

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They could have for sure, but with what was available from LA they were never going to lose anything of significance. I actually happen to like him, he took a lot of heat this last season but he kept players honest and was the only semblance of toughness on the team.

Frankly I'm over the jerking off over draft picks in LA, it's been 4 years and 5 drafts for Bowlby. This team needs to show improvement and that is not going to happen with the continual collection of picks like they are going out of style.

Not one of the draft picks - no matte what round - since 2017 has established themself as an everyday player on an NHL team and a crappy one to boot at that. Meanwhile Nicas, Suzuki, Chytil and Thomas are contributing to their teams and were all taken after The Legend up to number 20/21, no one from the 2019 draft.

I'm not sure what's going on in the front office of LA but this is such a huge summer for Blake to do something. Otherwise I believe his job should be on the line
I am curious. Are the Kings prospects being babied or do they really need that much time to get more seasoned? As you mentioned there are others that jump right in and are making an impact, and I would include the two kids down in Anaheim. At this point if Blake isnt going to be making moves, then why arent they kids getting a chance to compete?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am curious. Are the Kings prospects being babied or do they really need that much time to get more seasoned? As you mentioned there are others that jump right in and are making an impact, and I would include the two kids down in Anaheim. At this point if Blake isnt going to be making moves, then why arent they kids getting a chance to compete?

I've been curious about this too. I think it's a few things. I don't think you can sleep on the expansion draft as a factor. Guys coming in and potentially not being able to be protected, so you can sort of write off one year in my opinion. After that, I have some guesses, but I'm not sure. With Byfield specifically, he was like 17, and he was/is just super young. That one makes sense to me. You knew Stutzle was more ready, but Byfield projected as the better choice longterm once he matures and grows into his frame.

I don't hear a ton on guys like Turcotte unless it's to mention he's been hurt. But Vilardi was hurt for years before moving up, so who knows? I see a lot of people projecting Kaaliyev to emerge out of camp this year to make the main team.

There is a legit chance some of these guys are just busts, and that's just part of the whole game. But for a lot, if I had to guess, I felt like at center specifically, they didn't want guys coming in without being able to play top 6 minutes. You had Kopitar/Carter/Kempe sort of logjam last year, so you'd rather have these prospects get more time in Ontrario at Top 6 than bottom 6 in NHL. At least, the thinking the last decade or so was why bring in your top prospect to play limited minutes, and basically play against another team's checking line? You'd rather they go from Top 6 straight into a similar role with the main squad. Even though now I hear rumors that they want Byfield up playing the 3rd line center position this upcoming season. So that would fly in the face of what I just said. But that's just a rumor I hear and see on fake lineup projections. I think Carter being moved, unless Vilardi is ready to step into that 2C, you really have a void. I know the goal is to have Vilardi and Byfield battle as soon as this summer to try to see if that healthy competition propels one of them to maybe take that next step.

I think most people are in agreement that this summer, but more importantly, this year, is big for Rob Blake and his job. Need to see some sort of improvement or something to show for all this waiting for 3 years. Haven't won a playoff series since the cup in 2014. That has become a pretty crazy stretch all of a sudden.

LAKINGSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been curious about this too. I think it's a few things. I don't think you can sleep on the expansion draft as a factor. Guys coming in and potentially not being able to be protected, so you can sort of write off one year in my opinion. After that, I have some guesses, but I'm not sure. With Byfield specifically, he was like 17, and he was/is just super young. That one makes sense to me. You knew Stutzle was more ready, but Byfield projected as the better choice longterm once he matures and grows into his frame.

I don't hear a ton on guys like Turcotte unless it's to mention he's been hurt. But Vilardi was hurt for years before moving up, so who knows? I see a lot of people projecting Kaaliyev to emerge out of camp this year to make the main team.

There is a legit chance some of these guys are just busts, and that's just part of the whole game. But for a lot, if I had to guess, I felt like at center specifically, they didn't want guys coming in without being able to play top 6 minutes. You had Kopitar/Carter/Kempe sort of logjam last year, so you'd rather have these prospects get more time in Ontrario at Top 6 than bottom 6 in NHL. At least, the thinking the last decade or so was why bring in your top prospect to play limited minutes, and basically play against another team's checking line? You'd rather they go from Top 6 straight into a similar role with the main squad. Even though now I hear rumors that they want Byfield up playing the 3rd line center position this upcoming season. So that would fly in the face of what I just said. But that's just a rumor I hear and see on fake lineup projections. I think Carter being moved, unless Vilardi is ready to step into that 2C, you really have a void. I know the goal is to have Vilardi and Byfield battle as soon as this summer to try to see if that healthy competition propels one of them to maybe take that next step.

I think most people are in agreement that this summer, but more importantly, this year, is big for Rob Blake and his job. Need to see some sort of improvement or something to show for all this waiting for 3 years. Haven't won a playoff series since the cup in 2014. That has become a pretty crazy stretch all of a sudden.
I am just afraid that Blake is going to get some 32 year old retread forward and act like that person is going to be the next big thing here in LA. I am seeing all of these trades going on with other teams and sit here wondering what Blake is doing.

I am sure some of the kids in the system may be a bust but I cant imagine most of them.

I guess free agency starts in 30 mins from now and will see what Blake has been doing. Not holding my breath though.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Euthanasia resigns, 1 year/$2.7 million. Seems awful high for him. Decent player, his MQO was $1.2 million but I had him around $2 million if he stayed in LA.

UFAs flying off the shelf this morning. I stated I don't expect Bowlby to dive into the big names but even the mid level guys are signing elsewhere.

This dude better have a plan. If he has to go the trade route they will be losing assets but maybe bringing back someone younger who fits in the age gap they have right now.

Last edited:

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danault to la....he id a good pickup defensive guy....not sure cost, im sure to much haha

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Danault to la....he id a good pickup defensive guy....not sure cost, im sure to much haha

Handzus Lite. Solid on faceoffs and defensive game but he has never put up more than 15 goals in a season. This team needs production.

It does alleviate some of the pressure off Kopitar, but I'm curious to know if they have him slotted as the 2C and The Legend will be moved to wing with Kempe as the second line or if he is slotted as the 3C and and Legend will stay at 2C.

Also signals to me this is insurance to develop Byfield. With the OHL up again, Byfield only options in 2021-22 will be the Kings or Juniors, no AHL option for him like last season.

Curious to know details, my guess is $4.5 million AAV.

Edit: 6 years/$33 million, $5.5 AAV. Holy shit!

Last edited:

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.....4-5 should have been it
He was projected to get between $3.7 and $4.2. Massive overpay on term and dollars. Good job moron.

Clearly this guy came here for the money, he wasn't going to get that anywhere else. Hope this doesn't blow up like Kovalchuk did.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, reading he was top 4 Selke voting the past few years, and he obviously shut everyone down in that playoff run Montreal just had, but I agree, we will eventually need to score goals.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's only $5.5/year, not $6.5. Still higher, but not as crazy.
Correct, on my phone and fingers went too fast. Still a significant over pay.

Awesome, they have two of the best shutdown guys down the middle. Anyone plan on scoring any freaking goals?

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LA Kings have signed unrestricted free agent forward Phillip Danault to a six-year contract with an average annual value (AAV) of $5,500,000 according to Vice President and General Manager Rob Blake.

Too much for too long
Deals signed on the first day of UFA signing typically are for too much.
Expect a bunch of low scoring games

Puck beat me by a second

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alexander Edler, 1 year/$3.5 million.

35, 6'3/215 LHD. Not quite the LD I was expecting, dude had 8A in 52 games last season. I remember the 2012 run and he was a T4 in Vancouver but that was almost 10 years ago.

So far Blake's moves have been puzzling sans Arvidsson. More of the stop gap moves like Hutton vs actual improvement.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alexander Edler, 1 year/$3.5 million.

35, 6'3/215 LHD. Not quite the LD I was expecting, dude had 8A in 52 games last season. I remember the 2012 run and he was a T4 in Vancouver but that was almost 10 years ago.

So far Blake's moves have been puzzling sans Arvidsson. More of the stop gap moves like Hutton vs actual improvement.

I actually think Edler sucked 10 years ago when the Kings absolutely took it to Vancouver in 2012. Just in doing fantasy the past few years he's always up there in penalty minutes too. haha.

One year is whatever to me though. This feels like Olli Maatta 2.0, but I hope I am wrong.

I can't hate on trying overall, but I do like the shorter term at the end of the day. The Danault is the one to watch in latter years.

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was projected to get between $3.7 and $4.2. Massive overpay on term and dollars. Good job moron.

Clearly this guy came here for the money, he wasn't going to get that anywhere else. Hope this doesn't blow up like Kovalchuk did.
Montreal offered him the same

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who the heck turned Blake’s phone on today? I am use to the first day of UFA signings to be silent from the Kings. Two deals in one day:madness.

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also signals to me this is insurance to develop Byfield. With the OHL up again, Byfield only options in 2021-22 will be the Kings or Juniors, no AHL option for him like last season.

Correction twinkle toes. Byfield can play in the AHL next season. The NHL/OHL signed a one year exception that any player with at least 20 games played in the AHL can return to play in the AHL instead of having to go back to the OHL.

histkng23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sadly, any & all California pro sports team are generally going to have to higher FA $$$, simply because of the economics of this state! That, coupled with the position the Kings are in, with regards to rebuild/no playoff team, any FA is going to expect a higher salary based on the conditions of the franchise.

I don't agree with it, but is just the world Blake lives in right now...