• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patriots to sign Tebow... really.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I don't want him on the field once.

SEC Official

Elongated Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I don't want him on the field once.

LOL... come on, I know people hate his as QB.. but as a Full Back or Tight End.. there isn't much to lose. He isn't afraid to blow people up... hell, if Coach B can make Danny Woodhead into a player... Tebow has more potential than he does so I am sure they will figure something out.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tight end we're in good shape at, though. Tebow isn't even an upgrade over Ballard or Hoomanawanui. I would rather hand it to Blount in a short yardage situation, and Tebow can't block.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the athleticism could possibly have value somewhere as a tight end, but not here.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone on this thread seems to have overlooked the obvious for one of the reasons the Pats signed Tebow. The only guy on the planet who actually likes Tebow is the same guy that drafted him in Denver. That is none other than Josh McDaniel who is the O-Coordinator for NE. He convinced Bellecheat to sign him because they can groom him for the future and they are getting Tebow for little or no risk except a few bucks.

We went through this when McDaniels with the Rams for a season under Spagnuoli (Spigot). McDaniels wanted to trade with Denver to bring him to the Rams. That of course never happened but McDaniels made it known then that if Tebow was ever available he would signed him no questions asked. Voila, done deal.

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God damnit can he just go away? So tired about hearing about this oversized runningback playing QB.

I thought this was the 49ers board? I didn't realize so many fans of other teams visit our site.

I think now is the time that we really find out if Tebow is a NFL QB. He'll have 2-3 years to try to develope into a QB. If he doesn't then nothing has been gained or lost for NE. I actually had hoped deep down that the Niners would make a play for him. I would have been interested to see what Harbaugh could have done with him over the next couple of years.

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd put him at OLB, play him on passing downs, and tell him to kill the Jesus hating QB on the other team.

Reefer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone on this thread seems to have overlooked the obvious for one of the reasons the Pats signed Tebow. The only guy on the planet who actually likes Tebow is the same guy that drafted him in Denver. That is none other than Josh McDaniel who is the O-Coordinator for NE. He convinced Bellecheat to sign him because they can groom him for the future and they are getting Tebow for little or no risk except a few bucks.

We went through this when McDaniels with the Rams for a season under Spagnuoli (Spigot). McDaniels wanted to trade with Denver to bring him to the Rams. That of course never happened but McDaniels made it known then that if Tebow was ever available he would signed him no questions asked. Voila, done deal.

Exactly, McDaniels probably lobbied hard to bring him in. I don't understand why Pats fans would be so mad. Worst case scenario he gets cut. Its not like they are going to start running the wildcat. Maybe he sits for a few years and McDaniels is able to coach him up to being a competent backup. Maybe he gets moved to TE, or maybe he gets cut and fades away. No matter what I don't understand the anger, there is no risk to the signing unless you think Belichick will let the media or a 3rd stringer greatly affect his team or that Mike Kafka was going to take over for Brady.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly, McDaniels probably lobbied hard to bring him in. I don't understand why Pats fans would be so mad. Worst case scenario he gets cut. Its not like they are going to start running the wildcat. Maybe he sits for a few years and McDaniels is able to coach him up to being a competent backup. Maybe he gets moved to TE, or maybe he gets cut and fades away. No matter what I don't understand the anger, there is no risk to the signing unless you think Belichick will let the media or a 3rd stringer greatly affect his team or that Mike Kafka was going to take over for Brady.

Because it is a no upside move with some risk of causing locker room issues. I'm all for taking that risk for an established player bringing something to the table, but even low risk with no reward bothers me.

Yeah, but it sounds like the Patriots are shopping Mallett. Unless all of those stories were just rumors.

If They trade Mallett and Tebow is our backup I won't watch a patriots game the entire year. Hopefully it's just rumors, though. They've been spread before with no actual result.

Last edited by a moderator:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK JDM. You might be correct with locker room issues but McDaniels had Tebow playing pretty well in Denver. So on that level, I can't agree with your "no upside" move assessment. Really? None at all? Like Belechick has always done, he is preparing for the future especially when Brady retires and that day is coming. And like Belechick has always done with other players, if Tebow creates a locker room disaster, Belechick won't hesitate to pull the trigger and cut him as fast as he signed him. But again, right now, McDaniels has a guy he likes and can coach for the future and that is always an upside.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offense used in Denver is not sustainable long term, and you can not win a Super Bowl with a QB who can't throw unless you have one of the best defenses ever or a running back as dominant as Adrian Peterson was this year.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The funny thing about all of this is that Tebow doesn't create the distraction. The media does. With the current crop of starters, it's good to have an athletic scout team QB. That's all he is. That doesn't mean ESPN won't make a big deal out of everything Tebow, but I don't see how that could ever be a distraction to a team like the Patriots.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He contributes. If he wanted to draw less attention to himself he could.

I thought about your point, but they're all in the NFC. The only one we play is cam newton unless we see one in the Super Bowl.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I agree Heath. The media just loves to stir the pot and when Tebow wants to have some privacy and get on with his career, they hound the dude like a bunch of papparazzis. After awhile, I think he just gave up and started playing to their game. But again, I think this may be another of McDaniel and Bellecheck's good moves they seem to make fairly frequently. We shall see.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will the Boston media really go bonkers over Tebow when they devote all of their energy to going crazy over Brady? Reporting his haircut, his car, his celebrity events with his wife, etc.

I kind of get the feeling that Tebowmania will fade away under the much larger Bradymania. I just don't see the Boston media asking the team about Tebow while Brady is still being Brady. Its not like Peter King is going to drop his manaffair with Brady and start dating Tebow in his sycophant articles about the Patriots.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't think Tebow deliberately fueled at least a portion of it you're nuts.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree threelittlebirds. I think this is a win-win situation where Tebow can actually hide from the media because Bradymania is so much bigger and King would miss getting a stiffy each morning if Brady fell a notch down. McDaniels and Bellecheck they can coach up a QB for the future and Tebow can hide and revive his career. Worst case scenario-he fails and gets cut.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't think Tebow deliberately fueled at least a portion of it you're nuts.

He probably did, but it was still the media who ran with it. In Denver and New York they were tired of the inconsistent play of Orton and Sanchez. Which led to the question, "Why not play Tebow?" I'd be really surprised if Brady started to play inconsistently resulting in the Tebow question.

It'll probably only be the national media that still tries to stir that pot. I'm pretty sure the broadcasters of Patriots games will go out of their way to find Tebow on the sidelines and talk about him Week 1. The only question is how long will they keep doing that to fill airtime.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOLOL!! I just watched the news conference with Belechick on ESPN and try as they may, the news people at PATS Park tried to stir the pot and Belechick pulled the plug on the media circus with a masterful tight-lipped interview with extra disdain for the questions. It was classic Belechick. "No, Yes, Works hard, smart, and is good player" End of discussion.