• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Patriots 2019 Draft Thread

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a TE.

Safety and Defensive Line.

WR.

This draft seems pretty deep at what I think are the Patriots needs.

But like everyone else is saying... Who the hell knows what will happen?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't BB usually trade the 32 pick and pick up extra one extra pick? @BigKen you think Fant is more athletic than Smith from Bama
He already has 12 picks this year. I'm hoping for a surprise BB jumps up and selects a blue chip player for once.
It's just amazing watching this FO select no one ever expected.
Actually I'd be happy if whomever they select didn't have multiple surgeries already.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He already has 12 picks this year. I'm hoping for a surprise BB jumps up and selects a blue chip player for once.
Actually I'd be happy if whomever they select didn't have multiple surgeries already.
Maybe if they get your blue chipper they can win the super bowl for once...

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I wasn't a huge college fan to start with. This year I believe I didn't see a game with my relocation. So I'm going out on a limb here even guessing what BB and co. might do. Feel free to tear it apart. I'm basing my picks on BB using all the picks he's currently projected to have, though we know that will never happen. I'm also going to base it on Wynn, Bentley and Dawson returning fully healthy. I was on the ESPN board and looked on the Pats page it had Wynn and Hill as questionable on 4 Feb? Anyone know anything about this? If so that's great news. I don't think Hill makes the team? Nor do I expect Gordon to be back if he does that's just icing on the cake. And since they have the tag for the hell of it I'll tag Flowers. That may be too rich but it's early and the draft isn't until April.

1st round
Irv Smith, TE, Ala, 6'-4", 245 lbs. We need to find Gronk's replacement. Even if Gronk stays this year he'll be done very soon. I can easily see three to five TEs going early (before the 3rd). I'm not sure which order they'll fall into but I'd be happy with any of them (Fant, Smith jr, Kaden Smith, Oliver, Honlenson or Gentry. I'd have to see what the run looks like on them and decide when to pounce 1st or 2nd round? Great year to be looking for TEs IMO.
2nd round (from Chicago Bears)
Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson, 6'-4", 340 lbs if he's still available. big body DT think Vince Wilfork type A true NT that is quick on his feet and a run stopper who can collapse the pocket. He had a foot injury his sophomore year which slowed some of his numbers. I'm hoping that and he will only fit into a couple of teams schemes may let him drop to NE here?
2nd round
Andy Issabella, WR, UMASS, 5'-9", 185 if we want another slot guy? Think Wes Welker/JE11 type who can also be used in the return game. I know I have him way over valued but he'd be a fan favorite. Keep a Minutemen at home. Ok use the 1st 3rd round pick on him if we can get Jawaan Taylor at this spot? Otherwise Emanuel Hall from Missouri, 6'-2", 220 lbs. Wouldn't it be nice to have a big powerful receiver assuming Gordon can't return? Or if NE feels like an OLB at this point of the draft I go with:
T.J. Edwards, OLB, Wisconsin, 6'-1", 244.
3rd round (from Detroit Lions)
Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida, 6'-5", 328 lbs allows NE to keep Wynn in the G spot. I'm making an assumption we lost Brown in FA. He's a RT but can he switch to LT? If not we move Cannon again. This would make a beast of a line.
3rd round (projected compensatory pick)
Will Grier, WV, a little on the short side listed as 6'-1" or 6'-2" depending on which report you read. Also a little light at 214 lbs. But his accuracy and ability to take care of the ball intrigue me. Could be a great understudy to the GOAT. Early projections show him going around pick #135.
3rd round (projected compensatory pick)
Rock Ya Sin, CB, Temple, 6'-2", 190 can never go wrong with a big cover corner guy. This pick was the hardest between a CB, S, or I/OLB.
4th round
Ben Banogu, OLB, 6'-3", 247 lbs, Texas Christian good size and good speed can cover and big enough to help set the corner. Assuming NE didn't take Edwards earlier.
5th round
Delvon Randall, S, 6'-1", 215 lbs, Temple. Yes another Temple guy. Good tackler and ball skills if you get him late 5th.
6th round (projected compensatory pick)
Mitch Wishnowsky, P, Utah, 6'-2", 220 lbs Placed 30 of his 63 total punts (47.6%) inside the 20-yard line as a freshman at Santa Barbara CC in 2014 … averaged 39.8 yards per punt … long punt of 77 yards … averaged 45.6 yards per punt and placed five of his eight punts inside the 20 against Santa Monica … did not play football in 2015 … was on the reserves for Perth in the West Australian Football League in 2012 … two-year ACC Honorary Athletics Representative at Lumen Christi College (high school) from 2006-07.
7th round BPA
7th round (from Philadelphia Eagles) BPA
7th round (projected compensatory pick) BPA

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard both (more often a pacifier) but the interpretation is the same, something that puts you at ease.

Okay then I am okay with the players I selected. And for the record I was implying nothing earlier only making a point the this team often does not draft how many think they will, I have no issues with this.

I think he is more apt to get the players they target and use picks to gain more picks next year, I think they value depth and versatility over the one player that could potentially be great/

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At 32, we have had to take chances. Now at 32, we have last years picks plus 12 picks? We need to trade to some really good picks IF THEY EXIST!

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay then I am okay with the players I selected. And for the record I was implying nothing earlier only making a point the this team often does not draft how many think they will, I have no issues with this.

I think he is more apt to get the players they target and use picks to gain more picks next year, I think they value depth and versatility over the one player that could potentially be great/

I would normally agree and I probably should this time as well.

But they have really believe the window is closing. One or two additional impact players on rookie salaries, combined with the picks from last year coming off IR could be all they need to put the final nail in the coffin of the greatest dynasty ever. If there is still a doubt.
Back2back2back only team to ever do it along with the only team to have 7 Lombardis.

Plus they'd still have picks to trade away for the future.

Put that nail in the coffin Bill.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At 32, we have had to take chances. Now at 32, we have last years picks plus 12 picks? We need to trade to some really good picks IF THEY EXIST!

No doubt these need to be as close to 100% sure things as they can find. I think they exsist every year. Especially with the job the FO does of scouting.
I just think most years those early picks aren't worth the risk. There is less risk the way they are sitting this year.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would normally agree and I probably should this time as well.

But they have really believe the window is closing. One or two additional impact players on rookie salaries, combined with the picks from last year coming off IR could be all they need to put the final nail in the coffin of the greatest dynasty ever. If there is still a doubt.
Back2back2back only team to ever do it along with the only team to have 7 Lombardis.

Plus they'd still have picks to trade away for the future.

Put that nail in the coffin Bill.
Mehh I think the only position you might target as Blue Chip, gotta have this guy is QB, and that QB does not exist in this class. This team above all others have shown you can neutralize that one Blue Chipper a team may have, I just don't think this team covets any one player vs depth. We may have a starting DE that before FA arrives is coveted by several teams the Pats will trade him, pick up extra picks and because they add value at depth positions don't lose much in the process. I could be wrong by time will tell.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some general info for discussion.

Miguel Benzan who has been the Patriots' capologist since 2001 says that he is projecting that the Patriots will have $19.6M to work with. Sportstrac says that they will have $25.6M. I'll stick with Benzan because he tends to be conservative and understands that BB always puts $3.3M under his pillow for emergencies.

The Pats will not be big players in the free agent market. They will be bargain hunters in week two.

Malcolm Brown stated that he will teats the market but hopes that he can resign with the Patriots. I don't think he'll be back. He's hoping for $4.5-$7M a year and he's not worth it. He played 1/3 of the defensive snaps and was on the field in run situations only. At the end of the season, Lawrence Guy and Adam Butler were the DT anchors. Brown made $2.2M in 2018 and he was overpaid for the amoutof work he did.

The Patriots have been talking with both Ryan Allen and Stephen Ghopstkowski since the team plane landed in Rhode Island the day after the Super Bowl. Punters like Allen who has big game experience and is 29 years old are at the top of the market and the Patriots just might to have to let him got. $6M-$8M a year for a punter is pretty rich and Patriots will most likely look for a college kid.

The Ghost had his most inconsistent year in 2018 but was still the highest scorer on the Patriots. His FG misses and extra points missesin the playoffs gave fans and the coaching staff angina. Kickers are earning in the low to mid teens and that's way too hogh for the Patriots. Kickers are important and even critical but BB will not pay a kicker $13M-$17M a year.

I'd like to see them pick up a guy like Matt Gay. He's consistent, doesn't miss extra points and has kicked several 55 yeard FGs. Was Kicker of the year in Div. II before moving up to San Diego State last year.

As Far a punter goes, Mitch Wishnowsky of U of Utah, is the guy I'd like to see. He averages 45.5 yards and has kicked a few 70 yards. He's also pretty good at directional punting, something the Patriots like to do.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just found the Patriots guaranteed 3rd Round pick. Sounds exactly like the kind of move BB will make. Fits the exact profile......In legal trouble with the law and the NFL, a First round pick that fall like a rock, and he has a serious knee injury that will keep him out for his rookie year. What ciuldbe more Belichickian?

Projected first-round Mississippi State defensive tackle Jeffery Simmons suffered a brutal workout injury.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday that Simmons tore his ACL doing a routine drill during a workout, per a source informed of the situation. The DT will undergo surgery.

ESPN first reported the injury.

Simmons was barred from attending the NFL Scouting Combine stemming from a 2016 arrest after a physical altercation with a woman. Simmons was charged with simple assault and disturbing the peace and pleaded no contest.

The 21-year-old racked up 157 tackles, seven sacks, four forced fumbles and six passes defended in three seasons at Mississippi State and was projected as a top-10 pick by some draft analysts earlier this offseason.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just found the Patriots guaranteed 3rd Round pick. Sounds exactly like the kind of move BB will make. Fits the exact profile......In legal trouble with the law and the NFL, a First round pick that fall like a rock, and he has a serious knee injury that will keep him out for his rookie year. What ciuldbe more Belichickian?

Projected first-round Mississippi State defensive tackle Jeffery Simmons suffered a brutal workout injury.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday that Simmons tore his ACL doing a routine drill during a workout, per a source informed of the situation. The DT will undergo surgery.

ESPN first reported the injury.

Simmons was barred from attending the NFL Scouting Combine stemming from a 2016 arrest after a physical altercation with a woman. Simmons was charged with simple assault and disturbing the peace and pleaded no contest.

The 21-year-old racked up 157 tackles, seven sacks, four forced fumbles and six passes defended in three seasons at Mississippi State and was projected as a top-10 pick by some draft analysts earlier this offseason.

So based on this assigning his value becomes real interesting. If interested I wonder what round he may go?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So based on this assigning his value becomes real interesting. If interested I wonder what round he may go?
He was expected to be a top 10 pick. With a torn ACL no one will touch him. BB has three 3rd round picks with 2 of them compensatory. Picking this guy would not be a reach and could pay huge dividends.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless he comes off terribly in interviews about the assault incident or the medicals on the ACL tear are unusually bad I’m betting Simmons still goes in the top 50

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was expected to be a top 10 pick. With a torn ACL no one will touch him. BB has three 3rd round picks with 2 of them compensatory. Picking this guy would not be a reach and could pay huge dividends.

Risk vs Reward a 3rd round pick let him sit a year then hope he lives up to his potential makes sense. All draft picks are a Risk v Reward proposal anyway.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this question is more for the 2020 draft, but, what compensatory pick will the Pats get if they lose Trent Brown. I know they have to lose more than the sign, but nobody has been able to profit from one year rentals like BB.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impossible to say for sure. In addition to having net FA losses like you already noted, it also depends on the AAV of the contract, playing time, and awards. Given his age, position, and the level he played at this year, chances should be pretty good he’d get a big enough deal to reach the 3rd round level though.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this question is more for the 2020 draft, but, what compensatory pick will the Pats get if they lose Trent Brown. I know they have to lose more than the sign, but nobody has been able to profit from one year rentals like BB.
Im thinking they get a 3rd for Solder they should get a 3rd for him. Little chance they re-sign him after he saw what the Giants paid Nate last year.