• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pat White willing to play other positions to stay

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, the reason Reed was drafted to begin with, is the failed experiment of Paul at TE. Reed is probably what Shanahan hoped Paul would be.

skins

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, the reason Reed was drafted to begin with, is the failed experiment of Paul at TE. Reed is probably what Shanahan hoped Paul would be.
maybe but he's not going to be a starter this year. i have high hopes for him next season as a full time starter.

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe but he's not going to be a starter this year. i have high hopes for him next season as a full time starter.

Nobody is saying Reed will be a starter......the debate is coming down to Reed and Paul...and Paul isnt a starter either....Reed has way more upside, and can develope.....pauls biggest contribution to the team has been special teams, and like I said earlier...teams (though important)...can be replaced by any number of new guys on the team.....

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn't say anything about starting. Davis is obviously the starter. And I don't see Reed as a full time starter. See him as a weapon but he isn't an all round player. Needs to work heavily on his blocking before he'd ever be a starter.

But they thought Paul could play a specialized role, and he's failed at that role. Reed can probably take that role as a rookie with no problems as long as health isn't an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Davis and Reed can really put a lot of pressure on linebackers and safeties where Davis and Paul, do not.

skins

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't say anything about starting. Davis is obviously the starter. And I don't see Reed as a full time starter. See him as a weapon but he isn't an all round player. Needs to work heavily on his blocking before he'd ever be a starter.

But they thought Paul could play a specialized role, and he's failed at that role. Reed can probably take that role as a rookie with no problems as long as health isn't an issue.
paul still plays ST well and shanahan looks at that while considering roster spots. i hadn't heard that of Reed that he plays ST.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's totally a numbers game. Paul is competing against other players at other positions for a roster spot. I don't know that a player can ONLY play special teams and not be viable depth at a position on offense or defense and still make the team.

For example. If it comes down to Helu or Paul, who do you keep? Or say Chase Minnifield shows promise in the secondary and can also play special teams. Those are going to be tough decisions.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Especially when it's not like he's contributing to special teams as if he's Devin Hester in his prime.

skins

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's totally a numbers game. Paul is competing against other players at other positions for a roster spot. I don't know that a player can ONLY play special teams and not be viable depth at a position on offense or defense and still make the team.

For example. If it comes down to Helu or Paul, who do you keep? Or say Chase Minnifield shows promise in the secondary and can also play special teams. Those are going to be tough decisions.
i don't think paul is only a special teams guy. he caught some TD passes and made some plays as a TE last season. the problem (if you see it that way) is that ball was spread around amongst receivers. no one had over 1000 yards and we had a bunch of receivers w/500+ yards receiving. it will work itself during TC and pre-season. i just think Paul is going to have to play crappy during TC/preseason to lose his spot.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That he couldn't get on the field and make more plays with an injured Davis tells me a lot. 7-8 catches over the season isn't much of a contribution. Had drops too.

IMO, drafting Reed was a shot across his bow. Think he has to improve to keep his spot.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am not saying paul is a world beater but his stat line looks like this

15 targets , 8 rec , 19.0 avg 1 td , and 5 catches of 20+ yds

how much more are we looking for out of the 3rd string TE ?

add to it he can play ST's and wr and he has a decent shot

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking for more than that out of Paul. He wasn't 3rd string when the starter went out injured for half the season. He never stepped up. I'm sure the coaching staff was hoping he'd produce a lot more.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think that had more to do with him being inexperienced at te . time will tell though

skins

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am not saying paul is a world beater but his stat line looks like this

15 targets , 8 rec , 19.0 avg 1 td , and 5 catches of 20+ yds

how much more are we looking for out of the 3rd string TE ?

add to it he can play ST's and wr and he has a decent shot
he's going to have to play poorly in preseason to get cut IMO