• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pat Forde's realignment plan.

What do you think of Pat Forde's realignment plan?

• Yes, great idea.

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • No, with all due respect, I don't like it.

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Pat Forde needs to be drug tested.

Votes: 17 63.0%

• Total voters

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what happened once they started playing as conference foes?

Different topic -

I figured you would like the conferences I proposed in post #5. Sure it takes it back to the SWC, but also leaves 3 open games to continue to schedule OU and whoever else.

I mean, am I the only one that thinks the conferences the way I have them is perfect. Now just imagine the scheduling I talked about - talk about making CFB fucking incredible.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
under the current system of course they make better money but like i said change the system and things can shift.
Nah. Name brands will still be name brands. Colleges with money will still have more money. Eastern Michigan will never be on Michigan’s level and EMU will never win a national title...unless they move to a lower division.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in that scenario Boise already came out ahead of their conference. they would have beat Arizona, Arizona State, BYU, Utah and Colorado along with the rest of their mountain conference like Air Force and Wyoming. assume a non conference game with a Pac team.
im sure if they already did that they could handle a few more.

never good enough to shoot the gauntlet? until they are given the resources and a chance. as i said before Utah and TCU moved up and have looked good doing so.
They still wouldn’t be given the resources. Because it’s ultimately about boosters. Not tv funds or conference splits. Michigan getting $200 million from Stephen Ross. Oregon getting millions from Nike. That’s why Oregon is all of a sudden good within a couple decades. Unless you can inject that kind of money into G5 teams they willl almost always suck.

It’s also why even the worst P5 school can lure a guy like Schiano.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you dropped 10 programs completely instead of another 10 team conference?
I could move Memphis to the Big 8. That would give each conference 9 teams.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessarily. I just think it's dumb that App State went from a 3x national champ, to FBS and now has a 0% shot at ever winning a national title.

It's probably worth about 2.5-3 million to teams that make the jump. Just take a look at App State. They get about $400K/yr playing in the Sun Belt, which is 400K more than they got playing in the SoCon. And FBS teams get MUCH more in guaranteed games. Just last year they got a combined 1.9 million for playing at South Carolina and North Carolina. Had App State not gotten upset by Georgia Southern I think they would have been the NY6 participant. Which would have netted them another 4 million in that. I'm going to guess NDSU didn't even make a million winning the FCS title.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different topic -

I figured you would like the conferences I proposed in post #5. Sure it takes it back to the SWC, but also leaves 3 open games to continue to schedule OU and whoever else.

I mean, am I the only one that thinks the conferences the way I have them is perfect. Now just imagine the scheduling I talked about - talk about making CFB fucking incredible.
Yeah that hateful conference would be the tits.. There will be no championing of fellow schools there. I would be down for something like that.. Whenever they decide to make another NCAA football game, I hope they give us realignment options.

But I just see the Big 12 staying as is and honestly I'm ok with that. As long as they continue to schedule big name schools, I can live with a conference slate vs TCU, okie light, KSU, ISU, etc.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Texas fan, I wouldn't. I wouldn't care if Boise St/UCF or Coog high was undefeated, it would pale in comparison playing Arkansas in a home and home, even if they suck. Maybe out west it's a different story? UCF? Coog High? I'll pass. Rather play a series vs SMU
i meant i would bet on them to win

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i meant i would bet on them to win
i mean that can happen with Kansas who beat Texas in 2016..hell they beat TCU in 2018 I believe..

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They still wouldn’t be given the resources. Because it’s ultimately about boosters. Not tv funds or conference splits. Michigan getting $200 million from Stephen Ross. Oregon getting millions from Nike. That’s why Oregon is all of a sudden good within a couple decades. Unless you can inject that kind of money into G5 teams they willl almost always suck.

It’s also why even the worst P5 school can lure a guy like Schiano.
a guy like Schiano? he went back to a school he had been to and the only place he had any kind of success at. pretty sure a number of G5 schools can do better than Schiano

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah. Name brands will still be name brands. Colleges with money will still have more money. Eastern Michigan will never be on Michigan’s level and EMU will never win a national title...unless they move to a lower division.
yeah and App state could never beat Michigan. oh wait...

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course we could. What does that have to do with anything? You keep throwing a 10 year loss in a bowl game in my face as a way to say UCF would be a good team to play. It means nothing. We would beat the crap out of UCF at least 9 our of 10 years.

Let me turn the discussion here to look at it differently.

If UGA had a current OOC of:

GaState
GaSouthern
FAU
FIU

we would rightfully get destroyed here. That would totally suck as an OOC. Fans would be pissed and not buy season tickets.

Now you want us to also play:
UAB
UCF
USF

No one wants to see that. Why do you? Why would this be a terrible OOC now, but suddenly be a good schedule with the new conferences? Why do you want to make CFB worse, with far more terrible games? Seems like an odd thing to advocate for.
10 years ago sure it happened that long ago and since then they have had a few lows but more highs. you might beat them but I dont believe UGA would beat the crap out of them 9 of the last 10 years. 4 years for sure. but the others would be close games and could go either way.

OCC with 10-3 UCF, 9-5 UAB and 11-3 FAU yeah looks horrible your worst opponent would be your annual with 3-9 GT

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is a billion miles from the proposed conference changes here. You see that right ... a few teams moving up, and a few getting into bowls, and a few winning, isn't the same as having UGA play 7 G5 teams in a year. How is that a good thing?
the whole system gets blown up. there is no more P5 and G5 all 120 teams are supposed to now be on even ground. you really think people will notice some big difference in a 36-3 game against Georgia State vs 27-0 against Missouri? that a 50-10 vs USF is any different than 43-14 vs Tennessee?

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10 years ago sure it happened that long ago and since then they have had a few lows but more highs. you might beat them but I dont believe UGA would beat the crap out of them 9 of the last 10 years. 4 years for sure. but the others would be close games and could go either way.

OCC with 10-3 UCF, 9-5 UAB and 11-3 FAU yeah looks horrible your worst opponent would be your annual with 3-9 GT
P5 Ga Tech would likely beat G5 UAB and FAU ... records don't mean squat when they've played a bunch of G5 schools. That said, I hope the Nerds lose every game they play.

Today's UGA would beat UCF like a drum. This ain't Richt's Dawgs. The talent levels are so off, it would be a crazy upset, hence 1 out of 10 years. Per the 247 Team Composite, UGA is 3rd at 960.16, while UCF is 54th at 598.57. UCF has 3 4* players, 72 3*. UGA has 14 5*, 45 4*, and 25 3*. If you compared the levels of those stars, UCF's 4* would be very low, UGA's very high, the same with 3*. The talent level is totally different. So, yeah, we would beat UCF 9 out of 10 times.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the whole system gets blown up. there is no more P5 and G5 all 120 teams are supposed to now be on even ground. you really think people will notice some big difference in a 36-3 game against Georgia State vs 27-0 against Missouri? that a 50-10 vs USF is any different than 43-14 vs Tennessee?
You can reconfigure the conferences all you want, they don't suddenly become even. This whole exercise has suspended reality because the changes will not be made. You've taken it to another level by not only re-doing the conferences, but somehow magically thinking that UCF will have as much money as UGA. That the same level of players will want to go to UGA and UCF. Even in make believe land, that doesn't happen.

Yes, because no one wants to see UGA beat UAB 80-0, or beat Georgia State 80-0 in front of 24,333 people. Or is the capacity of the stadiums of these G5 schools suddenly going to increase 3 to 4 times their current size?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's probably worth about 2.5-3 million to teams that make the jump. Just take a look at App State. They get about $400K/yr playing in the Sun Belt, which is 400K more than they got playing in the SoCon. And FBS teams get MUCH more in guaranteed games. Just last year they got a combined 1.9 million for playing at South Carolina and North Carolina. Had App State not gotten upset by Georgia Southern I think they would have been the NY6 participant. Which would have netted them another 4 million in that. I'm going to guess NDSU didn't even make a million winning the FCS title.

right, but only because they're in conferences affiliated with the P5.No doubt that the P5 makes those smaller schools money but that's not a good reason to keep them affiliated. Simply having them around to participate in things and take money away from P5 schools is a stupid justification for them to have a 0% shot at a national title. They should compete for a G5 title and they shouldn't get money just for being a participant. There's too many CFB teams as it is and too many of them are operating in debt, even with those subsidies from the P5.

yeah and App state could never beat Michigan. oh wait...
I never said they couldn't, the argument was that a team like that couldn't have a great season and pull off an upset. But there's a reason it was a once in a million game and always brought up; because of tens of thousands of games over 100 years of football, that kind of team never takes out a Michigan. I think that game specifically worsens your point, and helps mine. And pulling off a single upset is entirely different than going through a playoff. They shouldn't be in the same league, they're only playing in the same league to get as much money as possible and they have absolutely no shot at winning anything other than the occasional decent bowl + upset.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a guy like Schiano? he went back to a school he had been to and the only place he had any kind of success at. pretty sure a number of G5 schools can do better than Schiano
Maybe early in a career; G5 schools don't hold onto great coaches once they're obviously great.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right, but only because they're in conferences affiliated with the P5.No doubt that the P5 makes those smaller schools money but that's not a good reason to keep them affiliated. Simply having them around to participate in things and take money away from P5 schools is a stupid justification for them to have a 0% shot at a national title. They should compete for a G5 title and they shouldn't get money just for being a participant. There's too many CFB teams as it is and too many of them are operating in debt, even with those subsidies from the P5.

I never said they couldn't, the argument was that a team like that couldn't have a great season and pull off an upset. But there's a reason it was a once in a million game and always brought up; because of tens of thousands of games over 100 years of football, that kind of team never takes out a Michigan. I think that game specifically worsens your point, and helps mine. And pulling off a single upset is entirely different than going through a playoff. They shouldn't be in the same league, they're only playing in the same league to get as much money as possible and they have absolutely no shot at winning anything other than the occasional decent bowl + upset.

Maybe early in a career; G5 schools don't hold onto great coaches once they're obviously great.

I feel like you miss that if this kind of thing were to happen there is no more P5 and G5. the money gap doesnt close over night but it narrows over time. what was once a 1 in 100 game is now an every year game and it starts to happen more. time evens things out. does that mean all of the current G5 schools will get there? no but more will have a shot than now.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can reconfigure the conferences all you want, they don't suddenly become even. This whole exercise has suspended reality because the changes will not be made. You've taken it to another level by not only re-doing the conferences, but somehow magically thinking that UCF will have as much money as UGA. That the same level of players will want to go to UGA and UCF. Even in make believe land, that doesn't happen.

Yes, because no one wants to see UGA beat UAB 80-0, or beat Georgia State 80-0 in front of 24,333 people. Or is the capacity of the stadiums of these G5 schools suddenly going to increase 3 to 4 times their current size?
i never said as much but they would be getting more than they are now. within a few years yes a lot of teams would be increasing stadium size.
Utah did it about 4 years after joining the PAC and have talked about doing it again.
TCU has done it 2x since joining the Big XII
within 5 years of leaving CUSA for the Big East Louisville started expanding.
4 years after moving from FCS to FBS App state increased capacity.
more money came in with movement. did they go from 25000 to 100000? no but slowly but surely they have increased sized.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i never said as much but they would be getting more than they are now. within a few years yes a lot of teams would be increasing stadium size.
Utah did it about 4 years after joining the PAC and have talked about doing it again.
more money came in with movement. did they go from 25000 to 100000? no but slowly but surely they have increased sized.
Amon Carter's renovation only expanded capacity a little (Something like 45K to 47 K). But boy did the quality of the place improve. While not megastadiums, TCU and Baylor have very high quality stadiums now...especially for viewing games. When you only have 45-50K capacity, all seats are a lot closer to the field IMO.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TCU is in a good spot..along with SMU.. the DFW area is growing rapidly and is a recruiting hot bed