• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pat Forde's realignment plan.

What do you think of Pat Forde's realignment plan?

• Yes, great idea.

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • No, with all due respect, I don't like it.

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Pat Forde needs to be drug tested.

Votes: 17 63.0%

• Total voters

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
America, Realigned: A Radical Reimagining of the NCAA Landscape

As COVID-19 threatens the 2020 college football season, what if we blew up the system entirely? Welcome to the Forde Bowl Subdivision.

Ten years ago this month, the last great spasm of realignment began shaking the college sports world. When it finally subsided in 2014, the landscape had changed dramatically. For the richer, but not necessarily for the better.

The Big Ten wound up with 14 teams, stretching from Nebraska to New Jersey. The Southeastern Conference expanded into Texas and Missouri. The Atlantic Coast Conference wandered nearly 1,000 miles inland. The Pac-12 annexed the Rocky Mountains. The Big 12, pushed to the brink of collapse, steadied itself by adding a school 1,200 miles to the northeast of the league office. Lesser conferences followed suit, scrambling for financial viability.

A decade later, it’s time to blow up what was done and start over. The COVID-19 pandemic’s effects have been profoundly felt in a realm where, for 10 years, money was no object and the map made no sense. Slapped in the face by a new fiscal reality, maybe we’re due to both rein in and reach out—to contract geographically into more regional conferences, while expanding the scope of the revenue gusher that is the College Football Playoff.

(1)
A 120-school ecosystem, with 11 current FBS members relegated to FCS and one elevated from that level. Congratulations to North Dakota State; condolences to UTEP, Texas State, UTSA, South Alabama, Louisiana-Monroe, Bowling Green, New Mexico State, San Jose State, Coastal Carolina, Troy and Liberty. (Relegation/elevation can be revisited every three seasons.)

(2)
Ten leagues, each with 12 members, each designed to maximize proximity and reduce travel demands and costs. All current conference structures are broken and reassembled. There are no more than eight Power 5 programs in a single new conference, and no fewer than four. And there are no independents—yes, Notre Dame is in a conference.
(3)
In football, each school will play a full round-robin schedule plus one nonconference game (no FCS opponents). The nonconference opponent will be locked in for a minimum of four seasons before there is an opt-out to schedule someone different. There will be no conference championship games.
(4)
All 10 conference champions, plus two at-large teams chosen by a selection committee, advance to the expanded College Football Playoff. The teams are seeded by the committee. The top four receive a first-round bye, while seeds 5–8 host seeds 9–12 at their home stadiums the first weekend of December. Quarterfinals are played the next week at the home stadiums of seeds 1–4. The semifinals and championship game are conducted under the current CFP format.
(5)
There still will be bowl games for the teams that don’t make the CFP. Just fewer of them, which nobody should mind.
(6)
The conferences will work for basketball and other sports as well—in fact, it will be better for nonrevenue sports in terms of travel cost savings. The 230-odd non-FBS programs that are part of NCAA Division I will remain aligned pretty much where they already are, with a few exceptions.

conferenceoutlook.jpg

jwolt92

The voice of fuckin reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always open your threads when you start them, then regret it about 3 lines in. Only took about 2 lines this time.

PhilSimms11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mine....

Pac-10
Washington
Washington St
Oregon
Oregon St
Cal
Stanford
USC
UCLA
Arizona
Arizona St

Big-10 West
Nebraska
Kansas
Missouri
Colorado
Oklahoma St
Oklahoma
Iowa St
Kansas St
Utah
BYU

Big-10 East
Michigan
Michigan St
Ohio St
Iowa
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Illinois
Northwestern
Indiana
Purdue

SWC
Texas
Texas Tech
Texas A&M
TCU
Baylor
Arkansas
Houston
Rice
SMU
North Texas

SEC
Alabama
Auburn
Georgia
LSU
Florida
Vanderbilt
Tennessee
Kentucky
Mississippi
Mississippi St

ACC
Clemson
Duke
Maryland
North Carolina
North Carolina St
South Carolina
Virginia
Wake Forest
Georgia Tech
Florida St

Big East
Boston College
UConn
Syracuse
Pitt
West Virginia
Virginia Tech
Penn St
Miami
Louisville
UCF
South Florida

I dont care to do the rest...but they would have 10 teams too. Now scheduling would be interesting to, but I wont get into that just yet, but I got it all worked out.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always open your threads when you start them, then regret it about 3 lines in. Only took about 2 lines this time.
Where is the without due respect option?

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankee has UCONN and UMASS. Forde UDUMBSHIT Aren't both of those schools going down to FCS?

Indiana and Purdue should be with Notre Dame.

Rocky Mountain Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and AZState. UGH.

No idea why Southwest is called that, it is South Central, when 9 schools are in Texas and the other three are Oklahoma. Red River is better.

It is for talking points, and is meant to be a joke but it is absolutely a terrible article.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankee has UCONN and UMASS. Forde UDUMBSHIT Aren't both of those schools going down to FCS?

No idea why Southwest is called that, it is South Central, when 9 schools are in Texas and the other three are Oklahoma. Red River is better.

It is for talking points, and is meant to be a joke but it is absolutely a terrible article.
neither Uconn nor Umass are moving down in reality nor his scenario

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i tried to do this once with even P5 teams between all new conference its not as easy as people think to keep some balance.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

rocky also has BYU and Boise so i think thats where he though maybe some more strength comes from

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Southwest is probably called that due to old conference.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What an idiot. He breaks every rule of conference realignment.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guys ought to drop to FCS along with a bunch of others...more than just those few listed.

OR...the group of five should be an entirely different division. FBS should only have about 60 schools. And in that group there are only about 30 "biggies" and 30 "tag alongs". Huge gap between #1 and #60 IMHO.

Thiefery

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah this is a joke.. After this whole situation, TV providers, ADs and Commissioners will be weary of real expansion.
Michigan reporting a huge loss, despite including football this fall will be the first to shake up expansion. They look at Rutgers and wonder why are they both getting the same percentage of money. tosu looks at MD and wonders the same thing.

I'm more confident that the Big 12 will stay at 10 for atleast another decade. They will get another solid deal.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the BIG will save money by adding schools that have shit attendance and bring absolutely nothing to the table by comparison with education. They would ultimately hurt their TV deal and fiscal opportunity by putting more subpar games on their schedule

Pat Forde could've saved us all time by writing

"Shut up stupid."

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Vols be like

"Nah we don't want games that millions of eyes want to see we want to play the likes of Marshall, northern Illinois, Western Kentucky so we can save on.....what exactly?

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah this is a joke.. After this whole situation, TV providers, ADs and Commissioners will be weary of real expansion.
Michigan reporting a huge loss, despite including football this fall will be the first to shake up expansion. They look at Rutgers and wonder why are they both getting the same percentage of money. tosu looks at MD and wonders the same thing.

I'm more confident that the Big 12 will stay at 10 for atleast another decade. They will get another solid deal.

The more likely result would be contraction of FBS altogether then.. that makes more sense than this garbage.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mine....

Big East
Boston College
UConn
Syracuse
Pitt
West Virginia
Virginia Tech
Penn St
Miami
Louisville
UCF
South Florida

I dont care to do the rest...but they would have 10 teams too. Now scheduling would be interesting to, but I wont get into that just yet, but I got it all worked out.

brah thats 11