• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pat Forde's realignment plan.

What do you think of Pat Forde's realignment plan?

• Yes, great idea.

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • No, with all due respect, I don't like it.

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Pat Forde needs to be drug tested.

Votes: 17 63.0%

• Total voters

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forde's quote:

It's a win-win ... no one else is going to see it that way, but that's what I think.

The only way he defends it by pointing to geography. Here is what is going to happen ... the G5 likely will reform conferences at some point to condense teams geographically. The P5 won't. They make enough money to handle it.
quote? id didnt see that anywhere

i did see this part

What college football would gain from this realignment: uniformity; conference championships that truly matter; increased access to a more lucrative playoff; a more level playing field for the little guys; renewed regional identity; cherished rivalries preserved, restored—and, in some cases, forced into permanent existence. The advantages are abundant.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
these numbers are just the playoff money numbers.
Which pale in comparison to the money the P5 conferences make for TV and media.

By 2030, the SEC and the B1G will be generating 1+ billion for their conference. Do you now see why your conference realignment won't work?

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

By 2030, the SEC and the B1G will be generating 1+ billion for their conference. Do you now see why your conference realignment won't work?
because its not like these new conferences woulndt also contract tv and streaming deals.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
quote? id didnt see that anywhere

i did see this part

What college football would gain from this realignment: uniformity; conference championships that truly matter; increased access to a more lucrative playoff; a more level playing field for the little guys; renewed regional identity; cherished rivalries preserved, restored—and, in some cases, forced into permanent existence. The advantages are abundant.
He said it in the video that I listened to that you cited. At the end when the interviewer said he liked the idea he said something like, "well, there's you and me." He knows that this isn't going anywhere. Just for clicks.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MY NAME ISN"T PAT FORDE

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so why bring that up if you are reading everything when it clearly says that was playoff payout?
Because you can't ignore the TV and media rights the conferences make. Look, your idea is pie in the sky crazy because you are expecting the Haves to give money to the Have Nots. A lot of it. You tried to show how it could work and left the biggest component of money out. That's why.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said it in the video that I listened to that you cited. At the end when the interviewer said he liked the idea he said something like, "well, there's you and me." He knows that this isn't going anywhere. Just for clicks.
ah i only read it. my work computer doesnt play outside video

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because its not like these new conferences woulndt also contract tv and streaming deals.
They won't get what these conferences get now. No one cares about the shitty teams. It's all about TV markets. It's why the SEC and the B1G get 30% more than the PAC. There is a reason each SEC team gets $48 million per team, and the PAC gets $32 million. In your mind, they would all get the same. But each conference would be watered down. There is a reason there is a P5 and a G5. The P5 has tradition, large alumni bases, eyes on TVs. The G5 doesn't. You can't make schools in the 100th largest media market suddenly generate more revenue just because they are in a different conference.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are defending his idea and advocating for it. I'll call it yours in our discussion. Same thing.
im not advocating for it as much as thinking hypothetically, if it were to come about, how it could work.
not saying lets do this.
not saying it will 100 % work.

saying looking at things from an outside the box perspective how and why parts of it could work. how things could happen? why its not so impossible to believe that in a given year a team like Boise State could win his Rocky Mountain conference.
or Northern Illinois could win the Mid American
or Navy takes the Yankee

How a different system would result in different revenue sharing and distribution.
could teams lose money? sure
could they make more? maybe that too.
its all on hypothetical

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They won't get what these conferences get now. No one cares about the shitty teams. It's all about TV markets. It's why the SEC and the B1G get 30% more than the PAC. There is a reason each SEC team gets $48 million per team, and the PAC gets $32 million. In your mind, they would all get the same. But each conference would be watered down. There is a reason there is a P5 and a G5. The P5 has tradition, large alumni bases, eyes on TVs. The G5 doesn't. You can't make schools in the 100th largest media market suddenly generate more revenue just because they are in a different conference.

contracts would be negotiated because people will still want to see the UGA, Alabama, Texas, Notre Dame, Clemson, USC, Oregon, Michigan, Ohio States of college football in other parts of the country.
the conference contracts would still be with the major networks and some new revenue found with places like Hulu and Apple tv. maybe networks that arent in now join up. USA, TNT
how is SEC money being distributed to Vandy and Arkansas any different than if that Deep south he proposed has to share with those small schools? on top of which the money is only being shared 12 ways now instead of 14.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
contracts would be negotiated because people will still want to see the UGA, Alabama, Texas, Notre Dame, Clemson, USC, Oregon, Michigan, Ohio States of college football in other parts of the country.
the conference contracts would still be with the major networks and some new revenue found with places like Hulu and Apple tv. maybe networks that arent in now join up. USA, TNT
how is SEC money being distributed to Vandy and Arkansas any different than if that Deep south he proposed has to share with those small schools? on top of which the money is only being shared 12 ways now instead of 14.
That's not how it works. No one cares about the G5. If they cared about the G5, they would already have their own TV and media contracts. They don't, or the do but they are for a pittance. THe SEC and the B1G get big bucks because they've been around for 100+ years and people care about the SEC and the B1G. You advocated breaking up the SEC and the B1G which will result in 7 cupcake games each year that no one will want to watch.

If Hulu, or TNT, or USA wanted to carry college football, they already would be doing it. They aren't. No cares about the G5. Not sure how many times I have to say it, but they don't. And your magical college kingdom can't overcome commercial reality.

As for Vandy and Arkansas, Vandy has been is a founding member of the SEC, and has the Nashville market. They also bring academic excellence, something the G5 don't have. Arkansas is the flagship university of a state, and has a long football tradition, something that the G5 don't have. Being a Vandy alum I can tell you that they really don't belong in the SEC and I wouldn't be surprised to see them exit in the future, but it will be their call. Even the P5 conferences have to have low tier teams ... they can't all be top 25 teams. What we don't need is 7 new cellar dwellers with no tradition, name recognition. UAB? Ga State and Ga Southern? FUI? FAU? Not a chance.

Less money, divided by 12 instead of more money divided by 14 makes no sense. Look at the value of hte TV and Media rights for the P5 ... their is a reason it goes in this order ... B1G/SEC, BigXII, ACC, PAC. People live B1G/SEC football, they don't PAC. These made up conferences would be horrible and no one would care.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not how it works. No one cares about the G5. If they cared about the G5, they would already have their own TV and media contracts. They don't, or the do but they are for a pittance. THe SEC and the B1G get big bucks because they've been around for 100+ years and people care about the SEC and the B1G. You advocated breaking up the SEC and the B1G which will result in 7 cupcake games each year that no one will want to watch.

If Hulu, or TNT, or USA wanted to carry college football, they already would be doing it. They aren't. No cares about the G5. Not sure how many times I have to say it, but they don't. And your magical college kingdom can't overcome commercial reality.

As for Vandy and Arkansas, Vandy has been is a founding member of the SEC, and has the Nashville market. They also bring academic excellence, something the G5 don't have. Arkansas is the flagship university of a state, and has a long football tradition, something that the G5 don't have. Being a Vandy alum I can tell you that they really don't belong in the SEC and I wouldn't be surprised to see them exit in the future, but it will be their call. Even the P5 conferences have to have low tier teams ... they can't all be top 25 teams. What we don't need is 7 new cellar dwellers with no tradition, name recognition. UAB? Ga State and Ga Southern? FUI? FAU? Not a chance.

Less money, divided by 12 instead of more money divided by 14 makes no sense. Look at the value of hte TV and Media rights for the P5 ... their is a reason it goes in this order ... B1G/SEC, BigXII, ACC, PAC. People live B1G/SEC football, they don't PAC. These made up conferences would be horrible and no one would care.

In this made up fantasy hypothetical world that i did not come up with there is no more G5 so it doesn't matter if people care about them.
these are new conferences.
current conference get big bucks because of the brands that come with them. the networks aren't making contracts because of Oregon state, Illinois, North Carolina State, Kansas and Kentucky.
the reason the proposed conferences could make money on new tv contracts is due to the flag ship teams UGA/Florida/FSU/Miami, Michigan/Ohio State, Wisconsin/Iowa/Nebraska, Notre Dame/Tenn, VT/Clemson, USC/Oregon, BYU/Boise, OK/TX, Alabama/LSU/Auburn, Penn State.

Hulu already has sports including some NCAA. New conferences looking for new contracts means new networks could come in to play. Just because a network hasn't had it before or doesn't now doesn't mean they wont ever. WWE just got on Fox last year. so are you saying you would never watch? again? if people live SEC and BIG football its because of their team. you think Illinois vs Purdue has as many viewers as Ohio State vs Cincinnati?
Last year Michigan had more in attendance for Army than it did for 3 of 4 home Big games (Ohio State had more) and less than 200 from Notre Dame.
looking at attendance UGA sells out for the Middle Tennessee and Appalachian state games just the same as conference games.

academic excellence isn't in the G5? really because Rice comes in national rankings about 2 spots behind Vandy. just sayin.
Arkansas is the flag ship program of the state and has been playing since 1894. Wyoming is the flag ship of their state and been playing since 1893. Hawaii since 1909. Uconn since 1896, New mexico since 1892.

Cellar dwellers who put up 10+ win seasons and give Current power 5 teams a run for their money on a regular basis. ok.

150000 divide by 14 is 10714 130000 divided by 12 is 10833 so depending on exactly how much of a difference (which no one would even know because, again, this is hypothetical) it could be more. how does that not make sense.
you may think no one would care. i would still be watching and i think a lot of other people would still be watching.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this made up fantasy hypothetical world that i did not come up with there is no more G5 so it doesn't matter if people care about them.
these are new conferences.
current conference get big bucks because of the brands that come with them. the networks aren't making contracts because of Oregon state, Illinois, North Carolina State, Kansas and Kentucky.
the reason the proposed conferences could make money on new tv contracts is due to the flag ship teams UGA/Florida/FSU/Miami, Michigan/Ohio State, Wisconsin/Iowa/Nebraska, Notre Dame/Tenn, VT/Clemson, USC/Oregon, BYU/Boise, OK/TX, Alabama/LSU/Auburn, Penn State.

Hulu already has sports including some NCAA. New conferences looking for new contracts means new networks could come in to play. Just because a network hasn't had it before or doesn't now doesn't mean they wont ever. WWE just got on Fox last year. so are you saying you would never watch? again? if people live SEC and BIG football its because of their team. you think Illinois vs Purdue has as many viewers as Ohio State vs Cincinnati?
Last year Michigan had more in attendance for Army than it did for 3 of 4 home Big games (Ohio State had more) and less than 200 from Notre Dame.
looking at attendance UGA sells out for the Middle Tennessee and Appalachian state games just the same as conference games.

academic excellence isn't in the G5? really because Rice comes in national rankings about 2 spots behind Vandy. just sayin.
Arkansas is the flag ship program of the state and has been playing since 1894. Wyoming is the flag ship of their state and been playing since 1893. Hawaii since 1909. Uconn since 1896, New mexico since 1892.

Cellar dwellers who put up 10+ win seasons and give Current power 5 teams a run for their money on a regular basis. ok.

150000 divide by 14 is 10714 130000 divided by 12 is 10833 so depending on exactly how much of a difference (which no one would even know because, again, this is hypothetical) it could be more. how does that not make sense.
you may think no one would care. i would still be watching and i think a lot of other people would still be watching.
You typed a whole lot of words, none of which is reality. UGA sells out for 2 crappy games. They won't for 7. That's what you totally fail to understand. No one cares about the G5 schools when it comes to football. You want to give us 7 cupcakes instead of 1 or 2. That is stupid. That won't put butts in seats, it won't add viewers. This is common sense.

You really should read up on the contracts for the TV deals.

Enjoyed discussing it, but it ain't happening for good reasons. The P5 will be splitting off way before anything like this comes to fruition.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You typed a whole lot of words, none of which is reality.

No shit. have you not been paying attention from the beginning of this, and i repeat AGAIN, HYPOTHETICAL MADE UP FANTASY scenario.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You typed a whole lot of words, none of which is reality. UGA sells out for 2 crappy games. They won't for 7. That's what you totally fail to understand. No one cares about the G5 schools when it comes to football. You want to give us 7 cupcakes instead of 1 or 2. That is stupid. That won't put butts in seats, it won't add viewers. This is common sense.

You really should read up on the contracts for the TV deals.

Enjoyed discussing it, but it ain't happening for good reasons. The P5 will be splitting off way before anything like this comes to fruition.
6-5 home and away 5-6 the next
a more likely scenario is

1 nonconference game with say North Carolina or Miss St maybe kentucky. kick off/neutral or home away series

UAB
@ Georgia State
@USF
Florida State
FIU
@Miami
@UCF
Georgia Southern
@Florida
@FAU
GT

Next season
Nonconference
Miami
@UAB
USF
@GEORGIA Southern
FAU
Florida
@UCF
@ FSU
Georgia State
@ GT

so more like about 3 home games a year against current G5 kinda like it is now.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as for your next argument about going to these other schools to play in front of smaller crowds
USF plays at Raymond James
UAB plays at Legion field

UCF lists 45000 capcity

the other 4 are about 30000 or less

however playing at Vandy in 19 crowd was 40000 17 was 36000
GT 55000

not everyone has a high and mighty attitude about playing at small schools either
GT has gone to Temple
played @USF
was going to play @UCF but canceled due to Irma
played @Tulane

FSU is supposed to play at Boise
has played at South Florida

Miami played at FAU
at Cincinnati
at App state
at Toledo
at FIU

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6-5 home and away 5-6 the next
a more likely scenario is

1 nonconference game with say North Carolina or Miss St maybe kentucky. kick off/neutral or home away series

UAB
@ Georgia State
@USF
Florida State
FIU
@Miami
@UCF
Georgia Southern
@Florida
@FAU
GT

Next season
Nonconference
Miami
@UAB
USF
@GEORGIA Southern
FAU
Florida
@UCF
@ FSU
Georgia State
@ GT

so more like about 3 home games a year against current G5 kinda like it is now.
Gross. Want to puke seeing all those loser teams. Are you really excited about that schedule. Yuck. LOL, this is crazy you keep going at.

Please tell me you understand that no way are we going to go and play in a piss any 25,000 seat stadium? Hell, Vandy is a bunch of pussies and they have 48,000.

By the way, P5 teams don't ever, ever, ever play 5 home games. We play 7 or 8. One more reason this is so stupid. Not a chance we give up $12 million by losing 3 home games. Not to mention the economic impact on Athens. Bars and restaurants would close if we cut 3 home games.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gross. Want to puke seeing all those loser teams. Are you really excited about that schedule. Yuck. LOL, this is crazy you keep going at.

Please tell me you understand that no way are we going to go and play in a piss any 25,000 seat stadium? Hell, Vandy is a bunch of pussies and they have 48,000.

By the way, P5 teams don't ever, ever, ever play 5 home games. We play 7 or 8. One more reason this is so stupid. Not a chance we give up $12 million by losing 3 home games. Not to mention the economic impact on Athens. Bars and restaurants would close if we cut 3 home games.

would i watch all of them? no but im not a UGA fan. or fan of those schools. i base what i watch on what else is on. but yes some of the match ups i would tune in for.
well if you have 5 conference home games plan the nonconference game at home for that season this isnt that hard if you actually think about it.

like was mentioned before more money for the smaller schools means more seats. within a few seasons those 25000 would be 30 then 35 and so on.