• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: panthers

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense DID step up in the end, and actually played well most of the game. Very proud of the effort yesterday. Do you recall any team playing this hard all 4 quarters under Gruden?

I am not going to tell you Gruden is the next BB but in years 2-5 he had the best 4 years of any coach that has been in Washington. It was time for him to go. As shark said he was dead man walking. I didn't like that he made AP inactive but I understood it. Guice and Thompson fit his offense, AP didn't.

I think the young core of players is the way to go now. As we said about young people … they are young and dumb and full of ___. They don't know any better and good for them. Play the young guys!

I don't think any coach is going to have the freedom to coach the team and whoever the personnel guy is to completely turn this around. I keep hoping I am wrong though.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not going to tell you Gruden is the next BB but in years 2-5 he had the best 4 years of any coach that has been in Washington. It was time for him to go. As shark said he was dead man walking. I didn't like that he made AP inactive but I understood it. Guice and Thompson fit his offense, AP didn't. Point noted however, Gruden should have cut AP so he could have found another home.

I think the young core of players is the way to go now. As we said about young people … they are young and dumb and full of ___. They don't know any better and good for them. Play the young guys! The young guys are hungry to compete.

I don't think any coach is going to have the freedom to coach the team and whoever the personnel guy is to completely turn this around. I keep hoping I am wrong though.
I hope we are all wrong. If Snyder can find it within himself to fire or remove Allen from ALL football operations, hire a well respected GM who will then hire a new coach, we could be on to something. This will get interesting in the months to come. I know, big "if".

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MAny have said other coaches lacked the ability to lead a team. My thought is, if we go for the sexy option again we will get the same results as we have always gotten when we make the sexy coach/player signing. Callahan might be what we need, a guy who is going to stress a solid ground game and build off of that.

Any College coach we can sign is going to be about exciting airball, and personally i think we need another Marty minded coach. It might not be exciting in the throw it all over the place kind of football, but I would rather win boring and build the team, than losing in exciting fashion while we continue to play musical QB.
As Haskins grows, I just don't know if Callahan and Haskins are a good fit. Everyone can see Haskins are potential, he just needs time to grow into a NFL caliber QB and his coaches need to draft up the offense to make good use of his most valuable skill set and yes, to include a formidable run game. I'm just not a Callahan guy, sorry.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Haskins grows, I just don't know if Callahan and Haskins are a good fit. Everyone can see Haskins are potential, he just needs time to grow into a NFL caliber QB and his coaches need to draft up the offense to make good use of his most valuable skill set and yes, to include a formidable run game. I'm just not a Callahan guy, sorry.

I get what you are saying. But again I will point out that changing coaches is generally BAD for QBs, and really bad for young QBs. I know that Callahan doesnt employ that exciting brand of football that some seem to always want. But we been chasing the next greatest show on grass title for years, we been throwing massive resources at the QB position. We got 5 games left. Smart money says Callahan should be auditioning for the HC job, and it should hinge on if Haskins progresses. If he does, you have to consider keeping Callahan, because we have seen what fire the coach and mandate the next coach to make this kid work gets us far too many times.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you are saying. But again I will point out that changing coaches is generally BAD for QBs, and really bad for young QBs. I know that Callahan doesnt employ that exciting brand of football that some seem to always want. But we been chasing the next greatest show on grass title for years, we been throwing massive resources at the QB position. We got 5 games left. Smart money says Callahan should be auditioning for the HC job, and it should hinge on if Haskins progresses. If he does, you have to consider keeping Callahan, because we have seen what fire the coach and mandate the next coach to make this kid work gets us far too many times.
Seems to me that "if" Callahan had any balls, he would have spoke up when times were as tough as they were. I believe he was carrying the title, "Assistant Head Coach - Offensive line coach" during his tenure here until now. And "if" Callahan stays, does the rest stay? WTH wants Manusky as our DC? Let's see what the next 5 games parlay and go from there. I'm certain every game is an audition for Callahan in some sorts.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

callahan isnt the coach for this guy or the team . it will be another set back .

hire a new GM , he hires the HC , and then go from there

KC didnt fall off the face of the earth when shanny was fired nor did he in minnesota

now i will admit that callahan's hands are tied becuase the rook is inexperienced and he is doing ok by him for now but haskins needs and balanced offense and he needs to be able to open it up and make plays and callahan doesnt strike me as that guy

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look guys, I simply dont want to see this team go out and overpay for the next steve Spurrior. I know none of you look at Callahan and see that exciting offense. Bu I for one am fine with ground and pound and protect the QB. I dont Trust Danny to NOT make the sexy pick and in the end I think Haskins will be the one to take the lumps for a coaching change right now.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look guys, I simply dont want to see this team go out and overpay for the next steve Spurrior. I know none of you look at Callahan and see that exciting offense. Bu I for one am fine with ground and pound and protect the QB. I dont Trust Danny to NOT make the sexy pick and in the end I think Haskins will be the one to take the lumps for a coaching change right now.
Sorry but Callahan is not the guy for the job . The draft pick isn’t a concern of mine

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we are all wrong. If Snyder can find it within himself to fire or remove Allen from ALL football operations, hire a well respected GM who will then hire a new coach, we could be on to something. This will get interesting in the months to come. I know, big "if".
For this to happen, Snyder should already have a "committee" formed to identify potential GM candidates, at a minimum.. But who the hell would he ask to be on the committee? I can't, for the life of me, think of who he could rely on to identify and vet candidates. Which means, to me, that if he is in the market for a new GM he would pick that person himself. How has that worked in the past? He has had Cerrato and Allen. Not sure which one was worse, but they have to both in the running as the worst GM ever.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As usual these days, we apparently disagree
It’s ok to disagree

, I just look at Callahan and say what has he done as an HC ?

I see 16-20 career record as a pro HC

I see 28-23 as a HC in the NCAA

I see 63 yrs old ( no real future )

I see this as a brucifer driven pick because all else failed

I see the same crappy staff being left in place

now this isn’t what I would be looking for as it sounds like we are settling for mediocre

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For this to happen, Snyder should already have a "committee" formed to identify potential GM candidates, at a minimum.. But who the hell would he ask to be on the committee? I can't, for the life of me, think of who he could rely on to identify and vet candidates. Which means, to me, that if he is in the market for a new GM he would pick that person himself. How has that worked in the past? He has had Cerrato and Allen. Not sure which one was worse, but they have to both in the running as the worst GM ever.
3rd time the charm ?....,.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s ok to disagree

, I just look at Callahan and say what has he done as an HC ?

I see 16-20 career record as a pro HC

I see 28-23 as a HC in the NCAA

I see 63 yrs old ( no real future )

I see this as a brucifer driven pick because all else failed

I see the same crappy staff being left in place

now this isn’t what I would be looking for as it sounds like we are settling for mediocre

And as I have said. I would rather see Bruce fired, a GM brought in, and the rookie not fed to unrealistic expectations of the next sexy pick coach. Im not wedded to keeping Callahan, but I realize that saying he should be discounted with 5 games left is admitting that mostly he just isnt exciting enough and we dont expect Bruce to ever leave.

Also considering how much we have thrown at getting a QB, you cant just discount the pick we gave up for Haskins and assume that if we bring in one of the sexy coaches, we wont be throwing more resources at the position in short order.

So If Haskins continues to improve, you have ot at least consider keeping Callahan, because I havent seen any realistic options proposed that dont reek of sexy over substance.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And as I have said. I would rather see Bruce fired, a GM brought in, and the rookie not fed to unrealistic expectations of the next sexy pick coach. Im not wedded to keeping Callahan, but I realize that saying he should be discounted with 5 games left is admitting that mostly he just isnt exciting enough and we dont expect Bruce to ever leave.

Also considering how much we have thrown at getting a QB, you cant just discount the pick we gave up for Haskins and assume that if we bring in one of the sexy coaches, we wont be throwing more resources at the position in short order.

So If Haskins continues to improve, you have ot at least consider keeping Callahan, because I havent seen any realistic options proposed that dont reek of sexy over substance.
Not with the same staff which will come along with the deal

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are 4 games left. Why is everyone deciding now … besides this is a forum. If they get trucked in the next 4 games then the decision is easy. If they play well then Callahan has to at least be in the discussion.

The defense has improved, the STs seems to have played better and he is winning 3-4 with bad QBs. No offense to Haskins but a QB rating of less than 70 is very bad. Please note I am not calling him a bust just a very inexperienced young QB that has a lot to learn still. Maybe it all just lucky … a KR for TD in one game and rushing for over 200 yards the next game but we have 4 more games to see.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another complete overhaul means Bruce aint going anywhere.

i beg to differ , if allen goes there will be a complete overhaul , if he stays we will get more of the same