• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Panther's last 8 opposing D's

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've looked up some numbers on football outsiders and it is absolutely amazing the lack of talent that the Panther's offense has had to go up against. According to F.O., they have only played four opponents with an above average or better defense: Indy (#13), Hou (#8), Sea (#4), GB (#9). Every other opponent that they have faced was #17 or lower, including two games against N.O. which put up the worst defensive DVOA in F.O. history, dating back to 1989.

Since week 9, Carolina's toughest defense that they faced was TB, which ranked #18 with a below average defense.

While their offense does create some unique challenges for us (Olsen is a great weapon and we've been weak against TE's, and Cam's scrambling), I think our defense posses even more challenges for them.

While talking heads will harp on the fact that Carolina scored the most points last year, a lot of that has to do with the lack of talent they faced, and they only finished #11 in total yards.

The difference in this game may be the simple fact that the Seahawks are battle tested, while Carolina has coasted against weaker opponents. Win or lose, I'm glad we get our rematch!

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just look at their schedule, nfce, afcs, nfcs. The two "toughest" games were against us and gb and neither team was playing well up to that point.

Im not saying they arent a good team because obviously they beat every team they played but that schedule was so cake the browns could have gone 8-8.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just look at their schedule, nfce, afcs, nfcs. The two "toughest" games were against us and gb and neither team was playing well up to that point.

Im not saying they arent a good team because obviously they beat every team they played but that schedule was so cake the browns could have gone 8-8.
Without a doubt they had the easiest schedule in the NFL this year. They played us when we had Wagner out, and Kam still getting back to form. We blew a sizable 4th quarter lead to them as well. Away games are always tough but I really like our chances

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another interesting note about our last matchup with Carolina, is that they were coming off a bye week when they last played us. Much like this time around.

There were only 9 bye weeks in the NFL (weeks 3-11) this last year, which means we only had a possibility of facing 8 opponents coming off of a bye week (weeks 4-12, minus our own bye). Out of those 8 games, 4 of our opponents were coming off byes, including Carolina and Arizona (both losses). Talk about a tough draw this year...

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another interesting note about our last matchup with Carolina, is that they were coming off a bye week when they last played us. Much like this time around.

There were only 9 bye weeks in the NFL (weeks 3-11) this last year, which means we only had a possibility of facing 8 opponents coming off of a bye week (weeks 4-12, minus our own bye). Out of those 8 games, 4 of our opponents were coming off byes, including Carolina and Arizona (both losses). Talk about a tough draw this year...

Damn, didn't realize we faced that many teams off a bye. I know we faced a couple coming off a previous Thursday game as well, giving them 10 days off before facing us, is that included on the 4 opponents?

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fairness, the Hawks were coming off a bye to face Arizona as well. So there was no advantage.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, didn't realize we faced that many teams off a bye. I know we faced a couple coming off a previous Thursday game as well, giving them 10 days off before facing us, is that included on the 4 opponents?
It doesn't include teams coming off of Thursday night games. From my notes, it looks like only our week 16 opponent, the Rams, were coming off of a Thursday night game. It seems like we had other opponents that did as well though...

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say the Panther's weak schedule would really only be relevant if they were squeaking by each week. But they had the best points for and against (+192) in the NFL which means they were doing what a good team does and beating up on weak competition. For the record Arizona was second (+176) and we were third (+146). After those 3 teams there is a massive drop to fourth (Minnesota at +63). All that tells me to not be fooled by Carolina's weak schedule because they were blowing out those weak teams for the most part.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not think Bye weeks help the team coming off them, never did feel that way unless it was in the playoffs ( Because that is a home game ) The Seahawks have struggled after every bye week for as long as there has been bye weeks. I dislike them unless again it's in the playoffs because that means you have HFA.

I just hope the Hawks come to play and play to the best of their ability and pick up the win. Then i hope they get the Cards in the NFCC game ( all NFC West NFCC again ). If the Hawks can get by the Cards i hope they face the Pats in Levi Stadium, that's going to be like a HOME GAME!

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say the Panther's weak schedule would really only be relevant if they were squeaking by each week. But they had the best points for and against (+192) in the NFL which means they were doing what a good team does and beating up on weak competition. For the record Arizona was second (+176) and we were third (+146). After those 3 teams there is a massive drop to fourth (Minnesota at +63). All that tells me to not be fooled by Carolina's weak schedule because they were blowing out those weak teams for the most part.
Well, late in the season they squeakd by both the Saints (OT) and Giants, giving up over 30 points to each team. And lost to Atlanta.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting thing just said on B&S a little while ago: on the Panthers TD pass that beat us in week 5, the inside rushers (due to injury) were Will Tukuafu and Cassius Marsh. Now I'm a fan of both players, but that's not who I want on the inside of the DL on passing downs with the game on the line.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Panthers are still a very good team, there's no denying that. But that point spread is also the product of their schedule. Had the Panthers played the AZ or SEA schedule, I doubt their point spread would have matched ours.

Football outsiders' metrics had them as the #4 team this year.