• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Packers...the all time list

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So look here... the Water Cooler got me thinking about this. Who are the best ALL TIME Packer players at their positions? No cheating and picking two wide receivers, this isn't the All Packer team, this is who is the best of all time, period. I'm going to put in some nominations for each position. You seriously only get to pick one. Base it on statistics. Base it on what you saw them do. Talent. Whatever.

QB - Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre, Bart Starr........Don Majkowski?

RB (fullbacks included because at one time they were the feature backs in most NFL offenses) - Paul Hornung, Jim Taylor, Ahman Green, Edgar Bennett, Dorsey Levens, Tony Canadeo.....Cedric Benson?

WR - Sterling Sharpe, James Lofton, Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Antonio Freeman, Robert Brooks

TE - Mark Chmura, Keith Jackson, Ed West, Ron Kramer, Jermichael Finley, Jackie Harris

OL - Chad Clifton, Mark Tauscher, Frank Winters, Forrest Greg, Marco Rivera, Jerry Kramer, Fuzzy Thurston, Adam Timmerman, Larry McCarren

DL (seems like a formality here) - Reggie White or....you know...you got somebody else? Willie Davis? Remember Tim Harris?

LB - Ray Nitschke, Clay Matthews...........yea I doubt anyone else would get a vote after those two.

CBs - Charles Woodson

S - Leroy Butler, Nick Collins, Charles Woodson, Willie Wood

K - Chris Jackie, Mason Crosby, Don Chandler, Chester Marcol, Jan Stenerud

COACH - Vince Lombardi, Mike Holmgren, Mike McCarthy

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what kind of sissy would I be if I didn't go first?

QB - Rodgers (Yup. I said it.)

RB - Jim Taylor, the only guy in the league to take a rushing title from Jim Brown during Brown's career

WR - James Lofton

TE - Ed West

OL - Marco Rivera...yea I said it. Highly underrated until he left.

DL - Reggie White

LB - Ray Nitschke

CB - Charles Woodson

S - Willie Wood

K - Chris Jacke

Coach - VINCE LOMBARDI

tk83

Semi-Senior Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fine-
QB - Rodgers: as good an arm as anyone, better decisions, team player

RB - Jim Taylor - tough as nails

WR - Don Hutson

TE - Paul Coffman

OL - Frank Winters - loved how he would snap the ball if D jumped - no matter if QB ready

DL - Reggie

LB - Nitschke

CB - Woodson - 110%, all of the time

S - Mark Murphy [the other one] - kinda played like a Steeler

K / P - Paul Hornung - no distance records, I know [29 points in a quarter still a record]

Coach - Lombardi - quite possibly the greatest coach ever - regardless of the sport

Don't know if I'm only s'posed to pick from your list, but I figured every player who ever suited up was eligible.

Last edited by a moderator:

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So look here... the Water Cooler got me thinking about this. Who are the best ALL TIME Packer players at their positions? No cheating and picking two wide receivers, this isn't the All Packer team, this is who is the best of all time, period. I'm going to put in some nominations for each position. You seriously only get to pick one. Base it on statistics. Base it on what you saw them do. Talent. Whatever.

QB - Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre, Bart Starr........Don Majkowski?

RB (fullbacks included because at one time they were the feature backs in most NFL offenses) - Paul Hornung, Jim Taylor, Ahman Green, Edgar Bennett, Dorsey Levens, Tony Canadeo.....Cedric Benson?

WR - Sterling Sharpe, James Lofton, Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Antonio Freeman, Robert Brooks

TE - Mark Chmura, Keith Jackson, Ed West, Ron Kramer, Jermichael Finley, Jackie Harris

OL - Chad Clifton, Mark Tauscher, Frank Winters, Forrest Greg, Marco Rivera, Jerry Kramer, Fuzzy Thurston, Adam Timmerman, Larry McCarren

DL (seems like a formality here) - Reggie White or....you know...you got somebody else? Willie Davis? Remember Tim Harris?

LB - Ray Nitschke, Clay Matthews...........yea I doubt anyone else would get a vote after those two.

CBs - Charles Woodson

S - Leroy Butler, Nick Collins, Charles Woodson, Willie Wood

K - Chris Jackie, Mason Crosby, Don Chandler, Chester Marcol, Jan Stenerud

COACH - Vince Lombardi, Mike Holmgren, Mike McCarthy

Rodgers

Taylor

Sharpe

Chmura

Gregg

White

Nitschke

Woodson

Wood

Jackie

Lombardi

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Qb- Starr
Rb- Green
Wr- Hutson
Te- Chmura
Ol- Kramer
Dl- White
Lb- Nitschke
Cb- Woodson
S- Wood
K- Jackie

cyorgan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember Tim "Guns Blazing" Harris. I'm surprised Hutson wasn't nominated for something. I know it was during a different era but a lot of his records held up for decades. Also, no love for Ken Ruettgers?

QB: Rodgers: when all is said and done.
RB: Hornung
WR: Driver
TE: Keith Jackson: almost went Chewy here but Jackson was a more complete TE and his career wasn't cut short due to stupidity.
OL: Jerry Kramer
DL: Reggie White
LB: Nitschke: for now, CMIII has a good shot of besting him, but he'll need to finish his career and have a bridge named after him.
CB: Charles Woodson: Herb Adderly is a close #2
S: Butler: and it's not even close.
K: Jacke
Coach: Lombardi

alldaybaby55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB: Favre. (Don't know if I'll get basted for this, but Rodgers needs to play longer to be considered, IMO. Starr played in a time when the QB was not as vital to the team as the other two. But let's be honest...you can't go wrong with any of the three.)

RB: Jim Taylor (When I watch highlights of Taylor, I think "THAT'S what I want my running back to do.")

WR: Don Hutson (He dominated the position when he played like nobody else...granted during a much different time. Sharpe would be second, IMO. None of the other guys were ever the best at their position during their careers.)

TE: Paul Coffman (Keith Jackson and Jackie Harris didn't play here long enough. Ed West was a favorite, but nothing special. Chmura...probably close behind Coffman. Don't know enough about Ron Kramer.)

OL: Jerry Kramer (Hard to pick just one. It's a travesty that he's not in the HOF.)

DL: Reggie White (He was only here 6 years, but he had a bigger impact on the team than any other d-lineman in team history.)

LB: Ray Nitschke (Easiest pick)

CB: Charles Woodson (I had a rough time picking him over Adderly, but his 7 years here put him in the HOF. Woodson was an elite all-around CB.)

S: Willie Wood (My heart wants to say Butler, but my head says Wood was better.)

K: Chris Jacke (I was always a fan of his...though all reports suggest he's kind of a douche)

COACH: Vince Lombardi (This is not debatable.)

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's inevitable that Rodgers will become the best qb to wear green and gold but he and Favre share something right now. Their inability to sustain success in the playoffs. Yes They both won a ring but the other years were nothing to be proud of. Farves is due to his uncanny ability to throw it to the other team and Rodgers has been stuck with some bad defenses and running games. Starr won 5 championships and still holds the record for career playoff passer rating. The dude thrived in the playoffs and that is where legacies are made.

alldaybaby55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's inevitable that Rodgers will become the best qb to wear green and gold but he and Favre share something right now. Their inability to sustain success in the playoffs. Yes They both won a ring but the other years were nothing to be proud of. Farves is due to his uncanny ability to throw it to the other team and Rodgers has been stuck with some bad defenses and running games. Starr won 5 championships and still holds the record for career playoff passer rating. The dude thrived in the playoffs and that is where legacies are made.

I don't necessarily disagree with you about Starr, but when you talk about post season success (which I assume you equate with wins, because individually, Rodgers has been outstanding), you are essentially crediting a team accomplishment to a single player, which doesn't make any sense. The Packers won in the playoffs with Rodgers only bad game (Chicago in 2010) and lost in the playoffs behind arguably his best playoff performance (Arizona in 2009.)

Starr was outstanding too though, no doubt about it.

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every qb is judged by wins even though its a team game that's just the way it is. That's why I also said Rodgers has been stuck with some bad defenses, like 2009 & 2011. Starr was just a little better, so far. If Rodgers can keep it up for a few more years and maybe add another title or two this list will change

alldaybaby55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every qb is judged by wins even though its a team game that's just the way it is. That's why I also said Rodgers has been stuck with some bad defenses, like 2009 & 2011. Starr was just a little better, so far. If Rodgers can keep it up for a few more years and maybe add another title or two this list will change

Doesn't mean it's correct. Is that how YOU judge a QB, or are you just saying it because everyone else seems to judge one that way?

Joe Flacco didn't magically become a better QB in February than he was one year prior, when he would have been in the Super Bowl had Lee Evans not dropped a game-winning TD or had their kicker not missed a game-winning field goal.

And I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, but I just wanted to know if you were basing this on what the QB does, or what the people around the QB do.

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying its right but qb is the only position in football that has a win/loss column in their stats. A good example, Romo has a career qb rating around 95 yet only has one playoff win. People say he sucks because he can't win in the playoffs. That is unfortunately how qbs are judged.

alldaybaby55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying its right but qb is the only position in football that has a win/loss column in their stats. A good example, Romo has a career qb rating around 95 yet only has one playoff win. People say he sucks because he can't win in the playoffs. That is unfortunately how qbs are judged.

And I don't buy that as a valid argument, no matter how many people say that. I know I'm in the minority on this topic, but I'm totally stubborn on it as well.

QB's get far too much praise for wins, and far too much blame for losses. I believe it comes from casual fans looking for away to oversimplify it.

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's how quite a few analysts rate them too. Like I said, not that its right but that's how a lot of people judge them even though its a team sport

alldaybaby55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's how quite a few analysts rate them too. Like I said, not that its right but that's how a lot of people judge them even though its a team sport

Analysts have to pander to casual fans a lot. I question whether they actually believe some of the stuff they say sometimes. I understand that's how it's accepted...I just don't go along with it.

I hardly think that a GM or a coach looks at a QB with the same view.