• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: OU @ Notre Dame

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got hooked up with 4 free tickets to the game. :faint2:

Be thankful. I paid $500 each for 4 tickets. At least we'll be on the 40 yard line. We're leaving in about two hours to fly to South Bend. I'll know in a couple of days if this is a great memory or a walk through hell wearing gas shorts.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be thankful. I paid $500 each for 4 tickets. At least we'll be on the 40 yard line. We're leaving in about two hours to fly to South Bend. I'll know in a couple of days if this is a great memory or a walk through hell wearing gas shorts.

I am. Win or lose you'll have a good time, ND is a special place...:nod:

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually it's not.

Cubs have 2 World Series Championships while the Yankees have 25+. In regards to Notre Dame and Oklahoma, and your comment, it would be the other way around.

Nice try though.

It was in reference to the UNC fan talking shit to a Notre Dame fan.

:L :L :L

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But you were still wrong about it though. :burt:

And it doesn't matter what team I am a fan of I can talk crap to anybody I want to. There is no requirement for one's team to be better than anothers to talk crap.

:burt:

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you were still wrong about it though. :burt:

And it doesn't matter what team I am a fan of I can talk crap to anybody I want to. There is no requirement for one's team to be better than anothers to talk crap.

:burt:

I wasn't wrong about anything.

You haven't been here long...have you?

You wouldn't see anything wrong or askew with a New Mexico St. fan talking shit to a 'Bama fan? That's what that was...you "slamming" ND. It was Rodney King mouthing off to the police...it was Hiroshima flipping the USA the bird.

You UNC fans should just stick to the basketball boards methinks.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't wrong about anything.

You haven't been here long...have you?

You wouldn't see anything wrong or askew with a New Mexico St. fan talking shit to a 'Bama fan? That's what that was...you "slamming" ND. It was Rodney King mouthing off to the police...it was Hiroshima flipping the USA the bird.

You UNC fans should just stick to the basketball boards methinks.

Methinks you should just leave me on ignore. I make entirely too much sense for you to counter me with your BS.

According to your logic, i.e. BS, Terry Bradshaw has no right to slight any college team better than La Tech.

Basically, you suck. :L

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why I'm against game threads until game day.

All this bullshit garbage already 5 pages. The old pics of ND OU is great though. Rep to that post.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
image.jpg

Thanks to westendvol for the graphic.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
funny Switzer story.....

Barry Switzer was Oklahoma’s head coach for 190 games. Bob Stoops’ 190th game as head coach of the Sooners comes Saturday. And Switzer’s not going to miss it.

Of course, the game is at Notre Dame.

“I’m coming up,” Switzer said. “The athletic department asked me to, so I’m going.”

Switzer is into coincidences. Bud Wilkinson coached 178 games; Switzer’s 178th game was the 1987 national title game against Miami, in the Orange Bowl.

And as always with Switzer, any subject at all is the chance to rekindle a story.

He’s been to Notre Dame before – as OU’s offensive coordinator in 1968, the Sooners played in South Bend and lost 45-21.

Switzer recalls two things. Seeing Touchdown Jesus, and Bobby Warmack hitting Eddie Hinton for a 78-yard touchdown pass on the game’s first play, a slant pattern off a three-step drop.

But I told him I had just returned from interviewing Ara Parseghian – you can read my Friday Oklahoman column on Parseghian here – and that ignited another set of stories from Switzer.

Switzer said he saw Parseghian at the College Football Awards in Orlando a year ago. “He was walking down the damn boardwalk by himself, not a person knew who he was,” Switzer said. “I yelled, ‘Coach, Coach, Barry Switzer. Coach, I can’t pass this up.”

So Switzer had someone take a photo of him standing with Parseghian. “He looked pretty good,” Switzer said of the now-90-year-old former Notre Dame coach. “I really enjoyed that, having a chance to visit with him.”

Switzer’s first introduction to Parseghian was a little different.

Switzer and Larry Lacewell attended the 1965 National Football Coaches Convention in Chicago. Switzer was a young coach at Arkansas; Lacewell, Switzer’s pal from boyhood, was about to join the KilgoreJunior College staff.

Lacewell and Switzer were at the bar in the Hilton Hotel, and Switzer says Lacewell started bragging about knowing Bear Bryant. They were from the same hometown, Fordyce, Ark., and Lacewell had served as an Alabama graduate assistant in 1959, Bryant’s second year in Tuscaloosa.

So Switzer said they ought to go find Bryant. Switzer marched across the street to the swanky Blackstone Hotel, where the prominent coaches were staying, and easily was given Bryant’s suite number. “There was no secrecy back then,” Switzer said.

So Switzer went back to Lacewell and said, come on.

They returned to the Blackstone, found Bryant’s room and “Lacewell vapor locked,” Switzer said. Lacewell wouldn’t knock on the door.

About that time, the door swung open. There stood Michigan State coach Duffy Daugherty, who in 1965 was about to have a team for the ages. Daugherty held two empty ice buckets.

“Here,” he told the young men suddenly at his door. “Go fill these ice buckets.”

So Switzer and Lacewell filled the buckets, returned to the suite and placed the ice on a big bar with whisky bottles sitting on them.

“I’ll have bourbon and water,” some coach said to them. Switzer whispered to Lacewell, “They think we’re hotel staff.”

So for three hours, Switzer and Lacewell mixed drinks for the likes of Bear Bryant, Bud Wilkinson, Woody Hayes, John McKay and Ara Parseghian.

“We laughed our ass off,” Switzer said. “We were like little mice on the wall, listening to them bull—-.”

Switzer says he never told Wilkinson that was the first time he ever saw the legendary Oklahoma coach whose exploits in Soonerville he would approach or surpass.

And now Switzer is back in Chicago, preparing to ride the train down to South Bend, where Parseghian still lives. If they pass on campus, expect Switzer to ask for a picture.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lol sorry about that. I figured it out later, but was just hoping it would blow over.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could have just linked the paper article. :D

I guess, but I like to post them intead of a link....still thought it was pretty neat.

I'd love to be a fly on any wall of about any room that Switzer is in....

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE BARRY SWITZER.
Jesus F. Christ, he has the best stories of anyone alive.
No wonder he got the best players.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From ’09-11, OU lost 8 games to teams they had the opportunity to play the following season. The Sooners won all 8 subsequent matchups.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blake Bell is in the house.

BVMHHJCCMAA1LXE.jpg:large

BVLh1hFCcAA74S4.jpg

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff