• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Winter Is Coming | Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, the producers have Martin's full blessing. He writes one episode per season, so they keep him posted on what's happening.

But there are some "fans" who are going to be assholes about it. You should have seen the shit they used to say to Martin on Martin's blog(notablog) when he didn't finish "A Dance With Dragons" by the date he initially said it would be done. It went on and on and on. I actually have a friend who I don't talk to anymore, and one of the things that kind of opened my eyes to who he is as a person.......how angry he was and how entitled he was about Martin's books. Pissed me off. I mean he was really nasty about it.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, people are nuts.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Catelyn. My impression of her and Ned, from the moment I finished the first book, was that they were completely unprepared for back stabbing and strategy. Ned was a brilliant war strategist, and there will be more and more info about that in the books, but he sucked at politics.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for Catelyn. My impression of her and Ned, from the moment I finished the first book, was that they were completely unprepared for back stabbing and strategy. Ned was a brilliant war strategist, and there will be more and more info about that in the books, but he sucked at politics.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. They were kind of isolated in the North. He wanted nothing but to be up there, not tied into King's Landing and being the Hand.

Varys even made a point to say to Tyrion that the last two Hands did not enjoy the "Game".

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, my thoughts exactly. They were kind of isolated in the North. He wanted nothing but to be up there, not tied into King's Landing and being the Hand.

Varys even made a point to say to Tyrion that the last two Hands did not enjoy the "Game".

Yep. I agree. You can't beat someone who spends all day thinking about how to take you down unless you become a little more ruthless.

I think a lot of people actually related to the Starks the most. It hurt to see how much fail there was in being honorable when everyone was trying to take them down. It was like the opposite of every other fantasy story I've read, where the moral of the story is that honor and justice triumph every time.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I agree. You can't beat someone who spends all day thinking about how to take you down unless you become a little more ruthless.

I think a lot of people actually related to the Starks the most. It hurt to see how much fail there was in being honorable when everyone was trying to take them down. It was like the opposite of every other fantasy story I've read, where the moral of the story is that honor and justice triumph every time.

That's why I love this story so much, it breaks all the "rules".

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Varys also mentioned about how good a man Ned was. He held in regard. From him (from what I see I have not read the books yet) I think that speaks volumes.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Varys also mentioned about how good a man Ned was. He held in regard. From him (from what I see I have not read the books yet) I think that speaks volumes.

Aye it does, but he also makes it a point that it was his downfall as well.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, the producers have Martin's full blessing. He writes one episode per season, so they keep him posted on what's happening.

But there are some "fans" who are going to be assholes about it. You should have seen the shit they used to say to Martin on Martin's blog(notablog) when he didn't finish "A Dance With Dragons" by the date he initially said it would be done. It went on and on and on. I actually have a friend who I don't talk to anymore, and one of the things that kind of opened my eyes to who he is as a person.......how angry he was and how entitled he was about Martin's books. Pissed me off. I mean he was really nasty about it.

Yeah, I've heard him talk about that, too. Supposedly, a lot of the time frames that came out were not from him, but from someone in the publisher's office without any input from Martin. He did, however, say early on how long he thought it would take him, and he was way off. He also said that he will never, ever try and predict the finish time of a novel again. I can't say that I blame him.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Varys certainly thought of him as an honorable man, but I'm not sure how much he prized that attribute. I think he like the honorability particularly due to it making Ned predictable.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the traveling got me ahead of series.. and if they end the season right where i just read, that would be epic.

i dont think they will though.. i still have a couple chapters left in the book

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Varys is just complicated and simple all at once. My interpretation of him both from the books and the movies is that he actually did like Ned Stark...it just didn't matter in terms of what he felt he had to do "for the realm."

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ned really was a fuckin moron for trusting Littlefinger, and kind of delusional in a sense that he thought Cersei and the Lannisters would flee from King's Landing.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ned really was a fuckin moron for trusting Littlefinger, and kind of delusional in a sense that he thought Cersei and the Lannisters would flee from King's Landing.

Ned was a moron for a lot of things. But at some point you have to trust someone, don't you? And he didn't just willy-nilly pick Littlefinger to trust, he came highly recommended by Cat. "You can trust him, Ned...he's like a little brother to me."

Completely agree about the Cersei angle, though. He should have kept his mouth shut and just told Robert. Or, since it was such a big deal, maybe he should have gone to him while he was hunting and not just waited for him to get back. I fear we could spend years debating the fuckups of Ned and Cat.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ned was a moron for a lot of things. But at some point you have to trust someone, don't you? And he didn't just willy-nilly pick Littlefinger to trust, he came highly recommended by Cat. "You can trust him, Ned...he's like a little brother to me."

Completely agree about the Cersei angle, though. He should have kept his mouth shut and just told Robert. Or, since it was such a big deal, maybe he should have gone to him while he was hunting and not just waited for him to get back. I fear we could spend years debating the fuckups of Ned and Cat.

if you're after someone for letting the lannisters continue to stay in power.. my primary blame is with lysa.. kings landing would be ultra-fucked (as opposed to just mostly-fucked) if tyrion wasn't there.. letting her young son determine his fate was a terrible decision

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you're after someone for letting the lannisters continue to stay in power.. my primary blame is with lysa.. kings landing would be ultra-fucked (as opposed to just mostly-fucked) if tyrion wasn't there.. letting her young son determine his fate was a terrible decision

MAKE THE BAD MAN FLY!

LOL

Yea, well Lysa was a little addled. I thought she was one of the most dead on characters in the show. The kid was, too. That was pretty impressive of him. I'm a little disturbed by it...actually. Which I guess is the point?

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen this show, but I did see Talk Soup make fun of it last night.

Something about a miscarriage and banjos playing?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, well Lysa was a little addled. I thought she was one of the most dead on characters in the show. The kid was, too. That was pretty impressive of him. I'm a little disturbed by it...actually. Which I guess is the point?

Yes and yes. If you weren't disturbed by it, I would be concerned and I'd have a great reading suggestion from Sophocles you would enjoy. ;)

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hung from my mothers tit till I was like 12.