• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Winter Is Coming | Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, it is time to start shooting down the ravens. Archers!

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
come-at-me-bro.jpg

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. fuck theon
2. fuck joffrey
3. fuck robb's new girl (please? pretty please?)
4. fuck catelyn
5. tyrion is an awesome character.

johnnytata

sugar booger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my memory is a little shady in general, and it's been a little over a year since i read these, but i do believe cat does the same in the books. not sure if it is in book 2 or 3, but it essentially goes down the same way. i feel like in the book she is a bit more calculating about and doesn't come off quite as weak, but sort of still does. however, the way they set it up in the show, they made it out as if there was no way jaime would survive the night so she was trying the salvage the situation the best she could. robbs outrage with her was PERFECT.

this brings up something that has been bugging me for a while about this series, specifically when i see how the "fanboys" react to changes from book to tv, thankfully it doesn't happen here, but it's unbelievable how fuckin nitpicky people can be, and how entitled they can be about something that they don't fuckin own and in reality have no fuckin stake in. people who act like they know better than the fuckin producers and creators, one of whom HAPPENS TO BE THE FUCKIN AUTHOR. people just can't seem to understand that print and television are fuckin different, and they just fuckin complain complain complain.

argh, it fuckin pisses me off (yet somehow i can't stop going to those annoying fuckin forums).

sorry for the rant, but i just needed to get it off my chest.

johnnytata

sugar booger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. fuck theon
2. fuck joffrey
3. fuck robb's new girl (please? pretty please?)
4. fuck catelyn
5. tyrion is an awesome character.

1. alfie allen is playing this perfectly. theon is so fuckin desperate to make a name for himself, you almost feel sorry for him. almost. just brilliant acting to be able to pull this off.

2. joffrey meeting stannis on the battle field...."i'll give him a smile from ear to ear with my sword." would love to see that. stannis would bury his flaming sword up joffrey's asshole so far the fire would come out of his mouth, and joffrey is so fuckin arrogant he'd start to think he was a targaryan dragon.

3. um. yes.

4. cat does so many things that are just fuckin dumb, and she is so self righteous, yet somehow i can't fuckin help rooting for her because she's a stark.

5. horray for dwarves!

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this brings up something that has been bugging me for a while about this series, specifically when i see how the "fanboys" react to changes from book to tv, thankfully it doesn't happen here, but it's unbelievable how fuckin nitpicky people can be, and how entitled they can be about something that they don't fuckin own and in reality have no fuckin stake in. people who act like they know better than the fuckin producers and creators, one of whom HAPPENS TO BE THE FUCKIN AUTHOR. people just can't seem to understand that print and television are fuckin different, and they just fuckin complain complain complain.

+1

Totally agree. Also, if you've ever written or created something (a story, a movie, a song, etc.), you know that afterwards you always have something you wished you'd done a little diffferently. Or maybe someone mentions how they might have done it different and you think 'oh damn, that would have been a good idea.' It's a different genre, it has different needs and parameters, and so I also don't understand why people expect everything to be the same. Sometimes it's an improvement, especially with regard to the limitations or lack thereof of the genre.

johnnytata

sugar booger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
+1

Totally agree. Also, if you've ever written or created something (a story, a movie, a song, etc.), you know that afterwards you always have something you wished you'd done a little diffferently. Or maybe someone mentions how they might have done it different and you think 'oh damn, that would have been a good idea.' It's a different genre, it has different needs and parameters, and so I also don't understand why people expect everything to be the same. Sometimes it's an improvement, especially with regard to the limitations or lack thereof of the genre.

yes. two more points:

1. what's the point of watching a 100% faithful adaptation? you already know everything that's going to happen. just so you can see it with your eyes? what, imagination not doing it for you?

2. the people who have never read the books and are just watching the show don't know any better, and if the story makes sense and is interesting to them, than it just comes across as grandstanding when you constantly point out every nitpicky thing that didn't meet your requirements and ruins it for the people who are enjoying it. who the fuck are you to tell them they are wrong in being entertained?

sorry to rant again, you should have never agreed with me......

fuckin soapboax....:(

johnnytata

sugar booger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
see, i don't mind if you point out changes that help give depth of understanding, i don't mind if you read the books and don't like the changes, i don't mind if you think the book far outpaces the show. please by all means be angry.

just don't fuckin point out every little fuckin detail to the rest of us like some fuckin know it all...

sorry for rant #3.

it's monday.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just don't fuckin point out every little fuckin detail to the rest of us like some fuckin know it all...

sorry for rant #3.

I enjoy a good rant. :) And as you pointed out, thankfully nobody in this thread has been doing that.

I'm going to read the books after the series is done. I like the suspense of not knowing what is going to happen next each week, and I can enjoy the depth of the books once I finish enjoying watching the TV series. I reserve the right to change my mind based on how good the season ending cliff hangers are.

johnnytata

sugar booger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I enjoy a good rant. :) And as you pointed out, thankfully nobody in this thread has been doing that.

I'm going to read the books after the series is done. I like the suspense of not knowing what is going to happen next each week, and I can enjoy the depth of the books once I finish enjoying watching the TV series. I reserve the right to change my mind based on how good the season ending cliff hangers are.

NO SPOILERS I PROMISE

i am not sure if it will happen, as i was reading this on one of the other forums and it was pure fan speculation, but there was a theory as to how they might end season 2, and let me say this, it was a fuckin incredible idea, and if they do end it that way, the cliffhanger could blow your fuckin mind even more than motherfuckin dragons....

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate season ending cliffhangers.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree completely with the comments on idiots not understanding the concept of an "adaptation". Different mediums have different strengths and weaknesses. Hundreds of lines of Tolkien Elvish poetry would not translate well to a movie, dimwits!

Robb's new lady is definitely hot, but I've suspected her of being the 'spy' mentionned at one of Tywin's dinners for a while.... but maybe that was just a red herring. I could be way off but it would be an interesting development.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was in "FUCK YEAH!!!!!" mode when I saw Bran and Rickon still alive...only a show this good could have gotten such a reaction from me. I also just finished the 1st book and am 100 pages into book 2. Amazing stuff. Hopefully I catch up with the show by the next episode.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO SPOILERS I PROMISE

i am not sure if it will happen, as i was reading this on one of the other forums and it was pure fan speculation, but there was a theory as to how they might end season 2, and let me say this, it was a fuckin incredible idea, and if they do end it that way, the cliffhanger could blow your fuckin mind even more than motherfuckin dragons....

Hmmm, I'm trying to think of what that could be, and I'm coming up blank. I mean, I have something in mind, but it would be way too early for that, wouldn't it?

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my memory is a little shady in general, and it's been a little over a year since i read these, but i do believe cat does the same in the books. not sure if it is in book 2 or 3, but it essentially goes down the same way. i feel like in the book she is a bit more calculating about and doesn't come off quite as weak, but sort of still does. however, the way they set it up in the show, they made it out as if there was no way jaime would survive the night so she was trying the salvage the situation the best she could. robbs outrage with her was PERFECT.

argh, it fuckin pisses me off (yet somehow i can't stop going to those annoying fuckin forums).

sorry for the rant, but i just needed to get it off my chest.

Lol, I agree with you, johnny. I watched an interview with GRRM for Sky TV's "Thronecast", and he talked a little bit about all this stuff. He basically said he didn't give a shit that some small things were changed. I think he brought up the "outrage" that the Dany's eyes aren't violet in the Targaryen fashion as they are supposed to be. He pretty much laughed it off and said, "yeah, folks, that's not important."

He also pointed out, probably in vain, that this is not really his baby. This is David Benioff and Dan Weiss' baby. He chose to sell the rights to them for a "dumptruck full of money", and that he believes that they will do the best job of adapting the story to the screen.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either way, whether it veers off the path of the books, the show is amazing. Jumps around a little much, but all in all, a great fucking series.