• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Vancouver People

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow this is excellent ... Keith Baldrey reporter at GlobalTV has been pretty much hammering teachers and the BCTF for their stance with nothing but truths

so teachers have been fighting back ... by attacking him on twitter ... but due to poor spelling / ability to search on twitter they have been attacking some other dude named Keith Baldry in Australia lol

[ame="[MEDIA=twitter]509598009248587776[/MEDIA]"][/ame]

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2014/09/10/keith-baldry-not-keith-baldrey-mistaken-identity-draws-aussie-man-into-b-c-teachers-debate/

Last edited by a moderator:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
like gum head?

at least taxpayers didn't pay for that (directly).
I was thinking of the stupid giant poodle on Main St. that cost $100k

and the stupid giant bird in Richmond - that one cost $600k

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at least taxpayers didn't pay for that (directly).
I was thinking of the stupid giant poodle on Main St. that cost $100k

and the stupid giant bird in Richmond - that one cost $600k

ive not seen either

speaking of tax dollars. Christy Clark was saying that if the teachers went to binding arbitration that they would raise taxes to pay it. .5 cents on gas per litre and $200 a year more from other areas.

how does that work? is it an excuse for them to raise them or would this resolution really do that?

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just glad my 2 kids are long out of school and aren't yet breeding grandchildren who are in school.

It allows me to not pay much attention....

The less I see of Christy on TV doing photo ops the better I feel.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
speaking of tax dollars. Christy Clark was saying that if the teachers went to binding arbitration that they would raise taxes to pay it. .5 cents on gas per litre and $200 a year more from other areas.

how does that work? is it an excuse for them to raise them or would this resolution really do that?

have you seen what the teachers want???

$3000 for massages per year???

IVF / Fertility treatments covered??? what do those run ... $10,000 to $15,000 minimum?

outrageous spending like this has to be funded somehow ... dont know about the specific numbers that the government is putting out there but certainly they will have to increase taxes to pay for all this (and dont forget the nurses union deal is coming)

Binding arbitration is pure stupidity from a government and TAXPAYERS perspective

so we should let one guy ... one arbitrator ... decide what is fair? decide what the government is going to pay out to one unions members ... and if they give BCTF binding arbitration ... what stops other public unions from asking to eat at the arbitration trough?

by no means am i all in on the governments side ... teachers deserve a raise ... however, they dont deserve a higher % increase than any other public sector union though

/union entitlement disgusts me ... where in the private sector does an employee get these types of benefits that public sector employees get

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My eldest daughter (who is in grade 11 and goes to public school) is volunteering at my youngest daughter's school (she attends private school). At least she's racking up the volunteer hours to get some additional high school credits.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not done ranting lol

my wife got into it with a grampa of a kid at the playground tuesday evening ... he is a former city worker with Burnaby railing about government and my wife brought up the whole $3000 per year in massage coverage and his response to that was not everyone will use it ... yah right ??? ... and even if so, short of using an actuary, a government cant budget for say only 10% of employees to take advantage of their benefits

after this was explained to him his response was "we got that" (ie his union got those benefits) :L

my sister works for a crown corp and she is so blindly pro union that we cant even discuss topics like this with her ... but one of her favorite rants is how inept her coworkers are ... thank your union for keeping them employed

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did I hear correctly that the BC Nurses Union gave $500,000 to the teachers union?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did I hear correctly that the BC Nurses Union gave $500,000 to the teachers union?

low interest loans ... and the Hydro union gave them $100K ... all the unions have a vested interest to see this go to binding arbitration and keeping the teachers paid and unified

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of have a problem with professionals having a union in the first place.

They should have to stand on their own merits like I do.

Then again, those that can do, those that can't teach.....

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
have you seen what the teachers want???

$3000 for massages per year???

IVF / Fertility treatments covered??? what do those run ... $10,000 to $15,000 minimum?

are those not just negotiating tactics to let those go to look like the better side in negotiation? those are ridiculous.

not done ranting lol

my sister works for a crown corp and she is so blindly pro union that we cant even discuss topics like this with her ... but one of her favorite rants is how inept her coworkers are ... thank your union for keeping them employed

my brother is with Coast Mountain and is just like your sister. my god its painful when he gets on his pro union rant

low interest loans ... and the Hydro union gave them $100K ... all the unions have a vested interest to see this go to binding arbitration and keeping the teachers paid and unified

Im seeing alot of twitter response from union members that "volunteered" these loans, they are not happy that they were not asked.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
by no means am i all in on the governments side ... teachers deserve a raise ... however, they dont deserve a higher % increase than any other public sector union though

Coming from a family where my dad was an elementary school prinicipal for 35 years and a sister who taught for 15 years, I know how much extra work teachers do put in for prep work and after school activities etc. That said, you have to realize when you choose this particular career that it's not the path to riches either. Both sides in this conflict are too consumed with rhetoric and winning public favour instead of trying to compromise and find some sort of resolution.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm coming to town for 2 days with my Family any suggestions for things to see/do/eat?

For a short stay, hang out on the west end of downtown, Robson street, Davie Street for shopping, food and clubs.

The east end of downtown is pretty sleazy, lots of druggies and hookers. Stay away.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then again, those that can do, those that can't teach.....

i posted it in a different thread but when i got on facebook i found that there are about 10 to 15 people i went to highschool with that are now teachers and I had no idea they even graduated highschool :noidea:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming from a family where my dad was an elementary school prinicipal for 35 years and a sister who taught for 15 years, I know how much extra work teachers do put in for prep work and after school activities etc.

may just be me ... may just be anecdotal ... but I think those types of teachers are in the minority today around here

our son would have been going into grade 1 this year and luckily we have a friend who (has a masters in education) is taking in kids and teaching them ... she is teaching about 10 kids right now ... shes doing it on the down low because the union doesnt want teachers doing this ... all the parents have offered to give her the $40 the government is doling out but she has refused

she is pretty much done with the public school system ... she intends on looking for a private school employment for next september