• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: The Movies Thread

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not an expert on the history of guns, but they had machine gun cannons back then?!

Yeah, the government hadn't started taking away that God-given right, yet. (I'm being sarcastic and just joking here.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I haven't seen that movie yet. It's been on my wishlist on my Tivo for a few months, but it hasn't been broadcast and available to record during that time.

Have you seen "The Big Lebowski"?

Last edited by a moderator:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted to have a fistful of dollars but got greed and tried to add a few dollars more and ended up dropping the whole thing off the bridge. Sure, I had already missed out of plenty of money, but for sacrificing a few dollars more, I could have kept what I had.

It's just money. It's not as good as other things in life, like jokes.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just money. It's not as good as other things in life, like jokes.

But using your two movies in a paragraph like I did... priceless. I mean, free. Worthless. But jokes nonetheless. :)

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen that movie yet. It's been on my wishlist on my Tivo for a few months, but it hasn't been broadcast and available to record during that time.

Have you seen "The Big Lebowski"?

Bump.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching "For A Few Dollars More" now.

* Funny scene with the guy lighting a match on the back of someone's neck.

* Funny shootout scenes with the hats!

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"For A Few Dollars More" had the best directing of the trilogy, I give the directing a 15 out of 10. This was the best movie.

However, it wasn't until I read the wiki about the plot afterward, that I realized something. While watching the movie, I did not know that Indio had raped that girl in the flashback. In fact, I thought Indio had caught that girl cheating on him with the other guy, and that Indio then killed that other guy, and that Indio then started to sleep with that girl, but she was too embarrassed at having been caught cheating, that she killed herself.

But according to the wiki, the guy that the girl was with was her newly wed husband. Which would mean that Indio killed the husband just because he really wanted the girl, and then he started to r*pe her. It would mean that Indio didn't have a past connection with the girl.

It also wasn't clear in the movie what Indio's motivation was with wanting to be with the girl, and for killing the husband. Did he want her just because? I guess, but wouldn't it make more sense to go after a random girl, who isn't with anyone? If you see a girl with a newly wed husband, or another guy who's clearly her lover, then wouldn't you back off, and just target someone else? Even if you wanted a girl so badly that you would r*pe to get her, wouldn't it still be more feasible to go after someone unattached? I guess r*pe isn't just about the desire, but about the power over someone else too.

Anyways, the reason for Indio's character doing all of this wasn't clear to me. Sure he might have been a criminal when it comes to money, but also including assault toward women is a different dimension, and they didn't develop that part of the character with him. He didn't even seem to have a history of assault toward women, it just seemed to be that one woman at that one time.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. I guess, but wouldn't it make more sense to go after a random girl, who isn't with anyone?
2. If you see a girl with a newly wed husband, or another guy who's clearly her lover, then wouldn't you back off, and just target someone else?
3. Even if you wanted a girl so badly that you would r*pe to get her, wouldn't it still be more feasible to go after someone unattached? I guess r*pe isn't just about the desire, but about the power over someone else too.
4. He didn't even seem to have a history of assault toward women, it just seemed to be that one woman at that one time.

1. Love or desire doesn't always make sense. But I haven't seen the movie, so I can't say it was love or desire - as you said, r*pe can be about power. It is most often in true life, but I don't know the statistics in movies. I assume the same or more because the scenes are supposed to be emotional.
2. There are a lot of things people do in movies that aren't rational. I would call raping someone always irrational. Sometimes, the movie would have no plot if its characters just acted normal.
3. Same as number one, love/desire isn't about feasibility. Even r*pe for power is to specifically assert power over a specific person.
4. As they say, the first one's free. No, I'm not being serious, sorry if that offends anyone.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4. As they say, the first one's free. No, I'm not being serious, sorry if that offends anyone.

Thanks, I always like your insights. You always manage to contribute something even if you haven't seen the movie I'm referring to.

I wanted to have a fistful of dollars but got greed and tried to add a few dollars more and ended up dropping the whole thing off the bridge. Sure, I had already missed out of plenty of money, but for sacrificing a few dollars more, I could have kept what I had.
Bad post. But bad posts in a thread are better than no posts by you. :)

Your post about having a "fistful of dollars" and wanting "a few dollars more" is growing on me too. I've decided to upgrade it from a "bad post" to something better.

Ok, I had to look that expression up. The complete expression is "The first one's free, next time I'll be billing ya".

I figured it was one of those expressions that was used in a more normal situation, and you jokingly used it in this particular situation. So the normal situation sounds like if you go get medical services, or ask consulting advice somewhere, or ask someone for a favor, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting "The Long Good Friday" now.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A widowed woman goes up to a man in a cafe, and spits on him.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw Man Of Steel yesterday.

I like the role the Pete character played throughout the movie, and his transformation in attitude.

I thought it was dumb how the military kept shooting at Superman and the other Krymptonians. Once they saw that bullets didn't hurt them, why would they keep shooting? This happened in many later scenes throughout the movie.

I liked how Clark wore a faded Kansas City Royals shirt in one scene. However, it would have been even cooler if he'd worn a shirt from an actual player, like Billy Butler, Eric Hosmer, Greg Holland, James Shields or the long-tenured Luke Hochevar.

Thoughts on the movie?

Also saw Aliens a few days ago. The supporting characters were a lot more interesting in this one, and thus I thought the character development was better.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also saw "The Usual Suspects", "L.A. Confidential" the past few weeks.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching "Dances With Wolves".

Good scenes about communicating between two different races of people, and how they communicated "buffalo", "coffee", and "sugar".

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably asking a thoughtless question here, but why is it acceptable to eat buffalo, but not horses (during the 1800s)? I would think that if horses were a little more abundant (not sure if they were, but could have been), then you'd eat those.

Buffalo population seemed to wax and wane, depending on if a herd was passing through.

Why not go for another animal more plentiful?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm probably asking a thoughtless question here, but why is it acceptable to eat buffalo, but not horses (during the 1800s)? I would think that if horses were a little more abundant (not sure if they were, but could have been), then you'd eat those.

Buffalo population seemed to wax and wane, depending on if a herd was passing through.

Why not go for another animal more plentiful?

I had something in the 2010's that was claimed to be buffalo (technically Bison, Buffalos aren't there where I had it) and saw it in the stores in Wyoming. So Bison is either acceptable and true or it is pretended to be eaten by calling the meat that.