• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: The Movies Thread

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but the stupid replay of the All-Star game messed up my recording as I've had to record three half hour shows after the original slot to record it.

I know what you mean. The rebroadcast of the ASG is never accurate as these program guides think they will be. They always start later than predicted.

Do you like it so far?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know what you mean. The rebroadcast of the ASG is never accurate as these program guides think they will be. They always start later than predicted.

Do you like it so far?

Yeah, but I haven't really followed it well. I get the gist of it. I'll watch it later.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as DeNiro flicks - I still gotta go with Taxi Driver, but that might just be because of the overall quality of the film.

I was on another forum the other day, and people were listing their favorite sci-fi flicks, and I was the only one who put down Gattaca. What say you?

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as DeNiro flicks - I still gotta go with Taxi Driver, but that might just be because of the overall quality of the film.

I was on another forum the other day, and people were listing their favorite sci-fi flicks, and I was the only one who put down Gattaca. What say you?

i own it, it's good, but I'd say it's just shy of the 'great' tier in scifi echelon...
:suds:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i own it, it's good, but I'd say it's just shy of the 'great' tier in scifi echelon...

Never seen neither movie.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The theme of Death, and the metaphor with the chess game, were good. The setting of the movie during the Middle Ages, specifically during the black plaque, was interesting.

Somehow I feel that something is missing in terms of tying ever scene to the overall story arc.

Some of the scenes were important, either for their philosophical musings, or for character development (such as introducing Raval, and then later Jons attack him; or showing the condemned woman a few times).

But something was missing either in terms of why one scene had to happen in the order that it did, with respect to the next. Or how the scenes related back to Block. Something about how this movie was tied together, seemed off, or unfocused.

It's European film-making - upside/downside thing. I describe it as 'theme greater than plot'. Favorite scene is when Sydow's character 'accidentally' knocks over the pieces, and Death calmly puts them back in place.

Wanted to point out it was on a list of others - of course had Blade Runner and 2001 above. What about:

A Boy and His Dog?
Minority Report? (haha, tough one)

Never seen neither movie.

Taxi Driver a must-see, imo. Top 5 all-time. Scorcese directs, screenplay by Paul Schrader. Intense.

Last edited by a moderator:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting Pet Sematary 2. I also have "Taxi Driver" and "Easy Rider" on the DVR.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sheriff doesn't have sensitivity.

A son saw his mother electrocuted to death, and is now living with his father.

The sheriff then tells the son, in front of the father, that he used to date the son's recently deceased mother. The sheriff also had a smug look on his face.

Hello? Talking about the son's recently deceased mother is probably a sensitive topic.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sheriff doesn't have sensitivity.

A son saw his mother electrocuted to death, and is now living with his father.

The sheriff then tells the son, in front of the father, that he used to date the son's recently deceased mother. The sheriff also had a smug look on his face.

Hello? Talking about the son's recently deceased mother is probably a sensitive topic.

If his face was smug about it, he probably was trying to bug the kid, and in which case that's not insensitive, it's worse. I mean, it is insensitive, but saying that alone is like saying you know that animal is a dog because it has four legs. True, but saying that it has a tail, is domesticated, and woofs, would help.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If his face was smug about it, he probably was trying to bug the kid, and in which case that's not insensitive, it's worse. I mean, it is insensitive, but saying that alone is like saying you know that animal is a dog because it has four legs. True, but saying that it has a tail, is domesticated, and woofs, would help.

The sheriff seemed to non-verbally apologize after the son's father gave him a silent look. It took 3-6 seconds, but the sheriff then was able to read the emotions in the room, and get back to the topic of why they were at the animal hospital. He seemed to realize that he should switch to something else. He didn't continue on the topic of how he dated the mother, such as share a story of their first kiss.

The movie did make the sheriff, as well as a dog, and a kid bully, some of the villains.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the character development in these Pet Semetary movies. They do a good job of providing scenes to get to know what the characters are like.

Other horror movies just have some generic characters, such as a generic mass murderer (don't really have a good reason why he became one, other than that he's mentally unstable. They sometimes don't provide a story that helped make him unstable). Or some generic kid moving to a new town.

These Pet Semetary movies developed characters, by showing scenes involving fondness for their pets, as well as memorable scenes where they interacted with their neighbors.

For example, they also gave the sheriff a few good reasons as to why he was a villain in this movie.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Staring "Taxi Driver" now.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He makes about $350 a week. That's $18, 200 a year.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what did the Presidential candidate, Palanstine, really think of Travis, during the taxi cab ride? I'm not sure.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are egging his cab.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Intense scene when Betsy walks out of the adult movie theater, and leaves in a cab.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a movie, obviously, but I didn't want to start a new thread.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love this song and this version, I just wish he had sung the whole song here because I think he sang it better live.

Here's the whole song, by the way.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3