• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: The Movies Thread

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know you are but what am I? ;)

Dogs can play evil villains, they just can't be a villain. Cujo would lose on the credibility level if it weren't for the rabies. Rabies can change them to dangerous and alters their behavior. Dogs can be animals and thus dangerous or for animal things, but not evil villains.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Explain the difference.

Dogs have heart. But can be actors, but it's still not believable. Dogs can have rabies and that's believable. People can write a script for them as a villain and in fact have them play one, I mean, who will stop them from doing it? But dogs are just acting a role they aren't fit for, like a basketball player singing in a movie, but cats are evil sometimes.

And no, I don't buy the modern trend to make villains have heart and just a tough childhood. Or misunderstood. To me, then you are not a villain. And no, even if it's happened a few time a long time ago, the trend is modern in that nearly all villains are given backstories that mitigate/explain some of the behavior as not that bad and heartless.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, my brother and uncle are big film nerds. My brother works for DreamWorks and my uncle for Netflix (software writing), they'll enjoy this, if they don't already pay for it.

No, I'm not my brother or my uncle. But I am an uncle of my brother's kid and a brother to my sister and brother, but not to my wife.

I am not a film nerd, but I do like movies in general, at times. I like movies more because of specific adtors/actresses and while as they get older they make fewer movies, it's ok because when someone stars in a movie with them, I will either add to my list of actors/actresses I like. And so goes the cycle. Then, comedies if recommended to me or others if my wife or other family/friends want to go. I sometimes go to the new movie that's out, but it's a lot for the atmosphere of going out.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting "Boyz N The Hood" now. Probably won't finish it tonight.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a restaurant that's open until 2am a mile away. Kind of wish I had something unhealthy to eat while watching. (Well not super unhealthy, but something like a quesadilla, or maybe a tostada).

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a restaurant that's open until 2am a mile away. Kind of wish I had something unhealthy to eat while watching. (Well not super unhealthy, but something like a quesadilla, or maybe a tostada).

[YOUTUBE]obC-o1UXkyg[/YOUTUBE]

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some obvious recommendatiosn

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here are the others IMDB pages

Seven Samurai (1954) - IMDb (inspiration for Magnificent Seven)

The Hidden Fortress (1958) - IMDb (inpspiration for Star Wars)

Belle de Jour (1967) - IMDb

Solaris (1972) - IMDb

The Seventh Seal (1957) - IMDb (best film OF ALL TIME)

Thanks. I tried using the Hulu Plus app on my Tivo, but it required me to log in (which I didn't have an account for).

But when I use the web version, I'm able to go to a movie and play it. I'll try the Seventh Seal later tonight (hopefully they don't stop it at 12 midnight EST). I saw it had subtitles for the whole movie. Hopefully it doesn't bother me.

Maybe I'll stop by the grocery store and by some popcorn kernels too. (I pop my own popcorn).

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. I tried using the Hulu Plus app on my Tivo, but it required me to log in (which I didn't have an account for).

But when I use the web version, I'm able to go to a movie and play it. I'll try the Seventh Seal later tonight (hopefully they don't stop it at 12 midnight EST). I saw it had subtitles for the whole movie. Hopefully it doesn't bother me.

Maybe I'll stop by the grocery store and by some popcorn kernels too. (I pop my own popcorn).

thumbs up, I think you'll like it. or at least I hope you do. It's a joyous and yet thoughtful and somber reflection on life.

This Valentine’s Day weekend, we have a sweet treat for you. From today, February 14, through Monday, February 18, all of the Criterion titles streaming on Hulu Plus, available to viewers in the U.S., will be free of charge to nonsubscribers (with advertisements). It’s the perfect opportunity to get acquainted with the incredible array of our movies available for instant viewing—we now have 800-plus selections, including hundreds of rare titles from around the world that have never been released on DVD or Blu-ray in the U.S. And remember that if you sign up for Hulu Plus for just $7.99 a month, you can see them all the time, commercial-free!

The way I read it, it runs through tomrrow, not till tomorrow, so good luck

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're a Big Boy, Now!

Just kidding, but I used to try to find popcorn machines for my dad because he liked to make it himself. Then, I realized that the reason he liked to make it was because he already had the way to make it. All my Father's Day gifts were wasted. Well, two of them anyway and one birthday. I thought I just wasn't finding the right one - it's true I didn't, but that's because there wasn't a right one he didn't have.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're a Big Boy, Now!

Just kidding, but I used to try to find popcorn machines for my dad because he liked to make it himself. Then, I realized that the reason he liked to make it was because he already had the way to make it. All my Father's Day gifts were wasted. Well, two of them anyway and one birthday. I thought I just wasn't finding the right one - it's true I didn't, but that's because there wasn't a right one he didn't have.

What do you mean? You bought him popcorn machines, but didn't know that he already had them?

(You don't need a popcorn machine, I just use a pan).

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you mean? You bought him popcorn machines, but didn't know that he already had them?

(You don't need a popcorn machine, I just use a pan).

He made popcorn a lot, so I thought, as a kid (not my money) that I could find one that was easier or better, like that was something he'd want. Bought one. He used it once. Then went back to the other one. So I then asked my mom to get the next one, like the movie theatre kind. Same thing. I was like 10-12 years old and it wasn't my money, but I didn't know what to get him. I realized that he already had the best one. My dad didn't tell me so as not to be a buzz kill. My mom thought it was good that I was thinking about my dad. I now have one of them for my house that I had given him. It's old but good. My brother has another and one was a waste, but that's the cheapest one.

I used to get sweaters for my mom's birthday and holidays. She now has a box of sweaters that a friend came to borrow one when she didn't have one. I thought that was weird. And now, I'll never get her a sweater again. She likes it but she has enough. Everyone got my uncle polar bear themed stuff. I never got things for him until I got to be a teenager (again, not my money) and I asked my dad if the polar bear something was good, and he was like, I think it's enough. It wasn't just me.

My aunt doesn't like present giving or receiving. She suggested at Christmas Eve for now on everyone to just give to this water buffalo fund - it was a total scam. My dad found the scam proof - that in the small print they said the percentage that was obligated to go to buy water buffalos was sooo low. I objected to the idea as a "don't steal Christmas, choose your own gifts" principle. No one has to get anything for me. If they want to donate somewhere in honor of somebody, great. But for everyone? Bah.

I also said, if you're going to donate for me, donate locally. There are people in every country in the world that need help, everyone in the world is as important as anybody else in the world. If you help one, it's the same as helping another. Some types of help is more needed than others, so I don't mean welfare or anything. Help someone that might help locally. That's my philosophy, others have their own thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator: