• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: The Luck Derby

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL is littered with guys who had "average" careers that won super bowls. High pick or not doesn't matter. Their career was average, but because they had solid team(s) around them (special teams/Defense/running game) they were able to win S.B. as a manager of the offense.

Having an elite QB does not guarantee you a Super Bowl. Just ask Dan Marino.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Of course it doesn't guarantee you a Superbowl but it absolutely gives you the best chance.

Every great team builds a solid foundation through the draft first, and I feel the Bengals have accomplished that. Of course there are still spots we need to upgrade and depth that needs be added, but I believe we've built a solid enough foundation through the draft that at this point we can start mortgaging draft picks to improve our team, either by 1) packaging picks to move up for a player we can really use (like Atlanta attempted to with Green) or 2) trading picks for veteran players (though I will add I only like trading picks for lineman (including LBs) unless its a 6th or 7th for a receiver).

Servo: I like the guy too, but I think you're jumping the gun putting Dalton in a threshold just below those guys. He still has a lot to prove.

Servo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nah, I dont think Dalton is there yet either. But I think that's where he'll eventually be. I see that as his ceiling and he seems like a guy that will play up to his capabilities...but yeah, he's got a long way to go to get there. That being said I dont think I'd trade Dalton straight up for FLacco, Sanchez or some other QB's that have had postseason success.

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WHO DEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!......
bengals.gif

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Nah, I dont think Dalton is there yet either. But I think that's where he'll eventually be. I see that as his ceiling and he seems like a guy that will play up to his capabilities...but yeah, he's got a long way to go to get there. That being said I dont think I'd trade Dalton straight up for FLacco, Sanchez or some other QB's that have had postseason success.

Agree on all counts.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree that we are in a position to start leveraging the future, We will have a harder schedule next season, courtesy in part of Andy Dalton. Howard and Clements are gone next season, Benson will be replaced. I think Luck actually stayed in school last year because he was afraid of becoming a Carolina Panther (or similar), he sure as hell isn't going to play here, his dad is projected as being a Manning type.

But, I can see your point about increasing the odds, but I think the window of that opportunity passed when Luck decided to stay in school. that, and our GM isn't nearly as creative as you are. One can speculate.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 or so SB winners of this past decade weren't great QBs. Folder, Johnson, Eli, Big Ben was not great in those playoffs.